ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

Honestly don't think Tony is on anything. He's 41 and a product of social media from its beginnings til now. He was likely getting into internet fights with other wrestle-obsessed nerds on message boards during and after the Monday Night Wars. At the same time, Triple H was winning championships and wrestling all over the world multiple times per week. The difference in how they act with media and online is stunning. Doesn't change the fact that Tony has a good heart. He's not a bad guy, he just enjoys online conflict and portraying himself as some internet victim. Probably why he shit himself watching Punk in the back and that whole "fearing for my life" nonsense. None of us could kick Punk's ass, but imagine fearing for your life because of some vegan in his 40s who loves muffins and has a small dog named Larry as his best friend.

Reactions: GeraldV and K-mac18
Honestly don't think Tony is on anything. He's 41 and a product of social media from its beginnings til now. He was likely getting into internet fights with other wrestle-obsessed nerds on message boards during and after the Monday Night Wars. At the same time, Triple H was winning championships and wrestling all over the world multiple times per week. The difference in how they act with media and online is stunning. Doesn't change the fact that Tony has a good heart. He's not a bad guy, he just enjoys online conflict and portraying himself as some internet victim. Probably why he shit himself watching Punk in the back and that whole "fearing for my life" nonsense. None of us could kick Punk's ass, but imagine fearing for your life because of some vegan in his 40s who loves muffins and has a small dog named Larry as his best friend.
Spot on

Kept trying to post on here last night but got error messages. Thought the show was very good, certainly better than that craptacular football game.

I remember when Tony went a couple of weeks without tweeting, should probably do that again.

Bucks can stay gone for a while, ratings show people turn the channel when they are on.

The only person I actively look forward to see is Gunther, because that means an ass kicking is coming. Why do you think stone colds broken glass got over so well? No matter what is going on, that glass breaks and you just KNEW someone was getting a mudhole stomped in em.

Kept trying to post on here last night but got error messages. Thought the show was very good, certainly better than that craptacular football game.

I remember when Tony went a couple of weeks without tweeting, should probably do that again.

Bucks can stay gone for a while, ratings show people turn the channel when they are on.
Board probably crashed for a bit after the football loss

Honestly didn't notice the cardboard walls and all that jankiness but Cornette takes notes and rewinds for the reviews. The Kahn's are billionaires, right? They couldn't hire a couple guys to put together a small, actual office for this spot? Anyways, enjoy:

This guy is 33. Being the son of Hulk Hogan ages you horribly
4dc513d593db4f6e87e223fb33c10e28.jpg
That the same one that killed that guy on the boat or whatever?

Honestly didn't notice the cardboard walls and all that jankiness but Cornette takes notes and rewinds for the reviews. The Kahn's are billionaires, right? They couldn't hire a couple guys to put together a small, actual office for this spot? Anyways, enjoy:

It's funny how Corny is still big mad over the fact that AEW didn't want to hire him 🤣

Reactions: GeraldV
It's funny how Corny is still big mad over the fact that AEW didn't want to hire him 🤣
If we're being honest, the situation is funny though. It's appropriate to point out/make fun of the fact that AEW needed a window spot so badly that they half-assed an office build with a large window, no door, and cardboard walls (with someone already inside the office who escaped by sliding past two pieces of cardboard inside the room). The SRS's of the world should be asking why we're seeing jankiness like that from a billionaire owner and a legit wrestling show on cable. It's not the end of the world, but AEW can do much better than that if they really wanted the spot to succeed.

Nightwish, let's stop for a second: Did anyone anywhere prior to Corny have any complaints or concerns about the "jankiness" of the props/set for that segment? Because I watched it live, and I don't recall anything fake-looking to me. And I did not hear or read anyone complaining about the props/set here or anywhere else (I read Reddit and their wrestling communities a lot) UNTIL Corny said something on his show.

So when you say "AEW can do much better than that if they really wanted the spot to succeed," how are you concluding that it did NOT succeed, when just about everyone prior to Corny saying anything about it had no complaints or concerns?

I mean, aren't you and everyone else just adopting Corny's opinion that the set was janky since absolutely no one before Corny to my knowledge noticed anything?

Reactions: wildcatsboston1984
Shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone but AEW got hammered in the ratings going up against Smackdown Friday night.

Smackdown- 2,206,000 and a .62

Collision- 270,000 and a .08

Rampage- 280,000 and a .09

Nightwish, let's stop for a second: Did anyone anywhere prior to Corny have any complaints or concerns about the "jankiness" of the props/set for that segment? Because I watched it live, and I don't recall anything fake-looking to me. And I did not hear or read anyone complaining about the props/set here or anywhere else (I read Reddit and their wrestling communities a lot) UNTIL Corny said something on his show.

So when you say "AEW can do much better than that if they really wanted the spot to succeed," how are you concluding that it did NOT succeed, when just about everyone prior to Corny saying anything about it had no complaints or concerns?

I mean, aren't you and everyone else just adopting Corny's opinion that the set was janky since absolutely no one before Corny to my knowledge noticed anything?
...but it was janky. I'm not going to give AEW credit because everyone didn't scream "that's cardboard!" all at once. Cornette was probably the first to bring it up but you know what? It was hilarious. It ain't the end of the world as I said, but it's okay to have a laugh about it. They're signing stars and trying to compete with WWE on a worldwide level...and they took a janky shortcut for a national tv spot, probably because someone got the idea hours before airtime and instead of waiting until they could have a more professional looking set, decided to act like they're two steps below OVW and hung cardboard around a makeshift office. Most people probably didn't notice and if they didn't, AEW is damn lucky because backyard decisions like that turn people off and make them realize they're not watching something even close to a WWE. Of course then we had Ibushi on a bicycle tapping people with a fake pipe in a video game match, so maybe cardboard walls are the least of AEW's issues.

Reactions: Wesley91581
Anyone think AEW signing Ospreay makes WWE fight a little harder to sign Punk?

...but it was janky. I'm not going to give AEW credit because everyone didn't scream "that's cardboard!" all at once. Cornette was probably the first to bring it up but you know what? It was hilarious. It ain't the end of the world as I said, but it's okay to have a laugh about it. They're signing stars and trying to compete with WWE on a worldwide level...and they took a janky shortcut for a national tv spot, probably because someone got the idea hours before airtime and instead of waiting until they could have a more professional looking set, decided to act like they're two steps below OVW and hung cardboard around a makeshift office. Most people probably didn't notice and if they didn't, AEW is damn lucky because backyard decisions like that turn people off and make them realize they're not watching something even close to a WWE. Of course then we had Ibushi on a bicycle tapping people with a fake pipe in a video game match, so maybe cardboard walls are the least of AEW's issues.
That's just it. Not a single damn person anywhere screamed "that's cardboard." No one said a damn thing about it until several days later, after Corny made his observations. So NOW it was terrible and horrible and awful and janky and cheap and embarrassing and AEW dropped the ball because Corny said so and you believe it and that settles it.

It's as if you are entirely blind to the revisionist history you have bought wholesale into.

I would love to see both Drew and Orton turn on their teams during SS and form the ultimate tag team. Both are too liked to truly be a bad guy, but both seem to be at their best as a heel. It would be amazing.

They aren't and shouldn't be trying to compete with the WWE.

For all the crap we give about not developing younger talent kudos to the aew/wwe women - 7 years ago we had Brie Bella vs Eva Marie and now you have Julia hart and Rhea Ripley as leaders of their respective faction and Toni storm with her storyline.

That's just it. Not a single damn person anywhere screamed "that's cardboard." No one said a damn thing about it until several days later, after Corny made his observations. So NOW it was terrible and horrible and awful and janky and cheap and embarrassing and AEW dropped the ball because Corny said so and you believe it and that settles it.

It's as if you are entirely blind to the revisionist history you have bought wholesale into.
Alrighty. Sorry you didn't find it as funny as I did. It's not revisionist history. It's just simply funny and sort of bewildering why they think using cardboard walls on national tv as if the office is a kid's clubhouse would be a good idea. Didn't think this would receive pushback here and we could all have a laugh at that decision making.

Alrighty. Sorry you didn't find it as funny as I did. It's not revisionist history. It's just simply funny and sort of bewildering why they think using cardboard walls on national tv as if the office is a kid's clubhouse would be a good idea. Didn't think this would receive pushback here and we could all have a laugh at that decision making.
It’s revisionist because not a soul was talking about it being janky until Corny told you to think it was janky.

I don’t really care if you think it’s janky or not. Not a single person was talking about it that way until after wrestling’s #1 hater had to chime in on it.

I do agree the match was stupid and the vast majority of everything that happened that night that led up to it was even more considerably stupid. Don;t know if I said it on here or not but I said as such elsewhere.

But I notice how this article, and everyone else stupidly saying the main event buried Jay White, never want to bring up how MJF had to cheat to win, they only want to bring up how Jay White was cheating. Jay didn't lose clean as you would think from this article, he had his two stable mates kicked out for helping him cheat, and Adam Cole was never kicked out for helping MJF cheat. MJF doesn't win that match without Adam Cole getting him the Dynamite Diamond Ring or whatever it was he used to nail Jay White to get the win, for example.

These same outlets weren't shitting all over WWE when they had Seth Rollins lose to a one-armed Cody Rhodes in a cage when Cody Rhodes had a real life torn pec and only had the full use of one arm.

It's as if some of these people have an agenda and don't want to bring up the facts that don't support it.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT