ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

Watching WWE Network from Survivor Series ‘96 (SID!) through 1997 right now. So much good happening there..Austin heating up, Pillman, DX slowly coming together, Foley, Young Rock and the absolute best version of Bret Hart, American Heel/Canadian Hero. Man that was fun. Good lord not an ounce of creativity must be left at that place.

Yeah man I remember those days when I was in high school we watched raw/nitro and everyone talked on Tuesday about all the awesome stuff we watched...now it’s yawnfest.

Watching WWE Network from Survivor Series ‘96 (SID!) through 1997 right now. So much good happening there..Austin heating up, Pillman, DX slowly coming together, Foley, Young Rock and the absolute best version of Bret Hart, American Heel/Canadian Hero. Man that was fun. Good lord not an ounce of creativity must be left at that place.
And the Undertaker/Kane angle, still the best of either man's career.

And GANG WARZ.

And of course, straight laced Vince McMahon as the lowly announcer watching his show come apart at the seams because none of this stuff was supposed to be happening.

Watch his face on any in-ring interview when a wrestler says "ass", like he just saw a ghost or something. Shane Douglas would have been in hog heaven DICK FLAIR.

I love listening to Bryan Alvarez do the retro raw and nitro reviews. He is just OUTRAGED that Sid got voted worst promo in the Observer back in 1999. He and Vinny always love it and they inducted Sid into the hall of awesome

And the Undertaker/Kane angle, still the best of either man's career.

And GANG WARZ.

And of course, straight laced Vince McMahon as the lowly announcer watching his show come apart at the seams because none of this stuff was supposed to be happening.

Watch his face on any in-ring interview when a wrestler says "ass", like he just saw a ghost or something. Shane Douglas would have been in hog heaven DICK FLAIR.

Gang Warz was that nation of domination/los boriqous featuring savio vega?

I love listening to Bryan Alvarez do the retro raw and nitro reviews. He is just OUTRAGED that Sid got voted worst promo in the Observer back in 1999. He and Vinny always love it and they inducted Sid into the hall of awesome
I will admit that I don't know how many of Observer's awards are fan voted and how many of them are Dave's call.

But whoever it was consistently voted Gorilla Monsoon as the worst announcer, so they can go to hell.

Straight to hell.

In which a bitter mid-2000s Road Dogg hates everybody who was more successful in wrestling than him. I particularly enjoyed "Stone Cold got over because we put him over". I think that's my favorite take of the entire video, which is full of amazing takes.

Last edited:
WWE announced today they are moving the WM 35 Takeover back to Friday night and Hall of Fame to Saturday.

This way the NXT show won’t be at the same time as the ROH-New Japan show.

Impact has been pretty good lately but unfortunately they have burned fans so many times they don’t care for the most part.

I didnt even know impact was still a thing.

Last year the good folks in our section had quite a back and forth with my kids that Takeover was better than WM. I mean my kids loved RAW and SD so their fanboi reactions were cool and they are pretty witty when it comes to talking smack.

That coupled with everyone being told SANTA gave us our tickets for Xmas, and they were the highlight of the section.

That said we have been watching NXT ever since and I actually think the kids do like it better now.

Does anyone think Reigns will or could return back to the ring again? I know at this time it doesn't matter and good luck to him on this hard fight but I do wonder if he ever will.

Rick Rude showing why Flair hated working with him and why Hogan refused to work with him, SHOOTING on poor old Mark Starr on a random episode of Saturday Night. I think a couple of Mark's crappy punches landed and then Rude's REALLY landed.

Yep Rude was a legit bad MFer and I believe he whipped up on a few dudes so the big guns were some what afraid he would take a shot at them.

He had great work with Sting(sadly one of their feuds was the career ender) and UW that were some of the best work ever as far as in ring story telling matches.

Reactions: GhostVol
My favorite Rick Rude moment was when he appeared on a segment of a RAW taping and during that RAW segment he re-debuted on a Live airing of Nitro.

Underrated short list:

Arn Anderson - incredible worker and promo work was on-point.
Perry Saturn - Loved his look and ring work until the drugs completely took over
Late career Mark Henry - I loved the Hall of Pain gimmick.

I don't even bother with the current product anymore. I'm mainly watching the vault on the network, whatever PPV Conrad and Tony watch and am working my way through Smoky Mountain (I'm in September 1994).

Rick Rude showing why Flair hated working with him and why Hogan refused to work with him, SHOOTING on poor old Mark Starr on a random episode of Saturday Night. I think a couple of Mark's crappy punches landed and then Rude's REALLY landed.

wonder how them taters tasted.

Underrated short list:

Arn Anderson - incredible worker and promo work was on-point.
Perry Saturn - Loved his look and ring work until the drugs completely took over
Late career Mark Henry - I loved the Hall of Pain gimmick.

I don't even bother with the current product anymore. I'm mainly watching the vault on the network, whatever PPV Conrad and Tony watch and am working my way through Smoky Mountain (I'm in September 1994).

Mike Awesome.
Mark Lewin (early career)

Reactions: MegaBlue05
ECW Mike Awesome was, in fact, awesome.
Mike Awesome was the best ECW champion ever. There's a nice hot take.

I think Paul Heyman was at his best as a booker when he had a monster heel as a champion. The only time he ever really had that was when he had Mike Awesome. He built up credible challengers for Awesome's title and then let Awesome destroy them. Matter of fact, he beat basically the entire roster except RVD, and then when that feud got set up, RVD broke his ankle so Awesome left.

And then he had an insane match in Japan with Kenta Kobashi in 2004 back when Kobashi was rewriting the star ranking system.

Mike Awesome was the best ECW champion ever. There's a nice hot take.

I think Paul Heyman was at his best as a booker when he had a monster heel as a champion. The only time he ever really had that was when he had Mike Awesome. He built up credible challengers for Awesome's title and then let Awesome destroy them. Matter of fact, he beat basically the entire roster except RVD, and then when that feud got set up, RVD broke his ankle so Awesome left.

And then he had an insane match in Japan with Kenta Kobashi in 2004 back when Kobashi was rewriting the star ranking system.

Didn’t he also book Big Show as a monster heel champ during the WWE version of ECW?

Reactions: GhostVol
after seeing Jim Cornette again at SuperCon yesterday, just should point out that the man is a genuinely nice guy. Sure he is angry but he will talk to you about wrestling all day every day whenever you want.

Reactions: UKWildcatT
What we seen at SummerSlam 98 was The Rock's best match he ever had. HHH and him were great in the ring together.

Had no idea on this one but Aleister Black and Zelina Vega are not only dating but recently got married...

So what, I can too! Doesn’t land you the talent.......looks around to see if the wife is behind me........you think it would!

I don’t know what the heck is happening on RAW other than Drew just turned on Dolph so guessing DZ turns babyface now and DM gets pushed up the upper mid card/main event...

I'll tell you a guy who's recognized as an all-time great and still doesn't get the full credit he deserves:

Of all the greatest heel promos ever in wrestling, this is one.

...KABUKI!

Reactions: K-mac18
after seeing Jim Cornette again at SuperCon yesterday, just should point out that the man is a genuinely nice guy. Sure he is angry but he will talk to you about wrestling all day every day whenever you want.

I’m actually friends with Cornette and help him with various projects...I was with him for a while Sunday and knock him if you want, but he will treat you like a true fan if you come talk to him. He loves it

I'll tell you a guy who's recognized as an all-time great and still doesn't get the full credit he deserves:

Of all the greatest heel promos ever in wrestling, this is one.

...KABUKI!
Race and Bockwinkel have to be the two biggest legends that usually only get mentioned as an afterthought. A lot of it is both of them were ancient by the time quality tapes were being made of their matches, unfortunately.

Bockwinkel was just awesome, man. And Brain. "I'M A LICENSED MANAGER!" [laughing]

Match notes:

That pop for a crossbody from Lawler
Bockwinkel selling his ass off
Bockwinkel's punches are so underrated

The post match interview is unreal as well

Bockwinkel is the best "old" wrestler ever. Flair had a ton of great matches in his 40s, but Bockwinkel was having them in his 50s. I think he's the oldest wrestler to have a 5-star match. He was 52 when he had his time limit draw against Curt Hennig, which is just fantastic if you haven't seen it.

Best thing about Bockwinkel is that it was always a sport with him. Watch here as he demonstrates the illegality of the Verne Gagne sleeper hold on that Lego man looking goober Ken Resnick.

Wow! Someone paying homage to Bockwinkel is a nice little twist in here!

Following the the Lawler/Dundee era on Channel 2 I was well versed in everything Bockwinkel, and that Henning match was unreal at the time because Henning was a kid basically.

Based on that match alone everyone that followed that brand knew, 100% for sure, Henning was the next HUGE player in wrestling.

Underrated list for me (Memphis wrasslin was all i knew growing up)

Koko B. Ware
Dirty Dutch Mantell
Austin Idol
Phil Hickerson and Dennis Condrey (i had to do a tag team)

The Brain was the best manager and maybe color guy too.
Saw this on Twitter this morning might help partly explain why Raw (and SD) have sucked so badly lately.

I was talking to Stu earlier, I said "Stu, you must be proud of your boys."

He said "I have boys?"

Bobby: How many kids do Stu and Helen Hart have?
Vince: I believe 12, Bobby.
Bobby: Ah yes, one of each.

Reactions: WildcatFan1982
ADVERTISEMENT