ADVERTISEMENT

Chucky to Florida?

UF will settle for Malzahn in the end.
The Office Thats GIF

It's seems like a risky hire for UF considering he has no college experience. They need a proven home run hire.

If you’re Florida, you do whatever you can to get someone that’s going to make a difference and they will be on their fifth coach since 2010.

It's seems like a risky hire for UF considering he has no college experience. They need a proven home run hire.
sure but how many proven home run hires will be available? and there will be competition for those few!

Despite having a Super Bowl championship on his resume from 22 years ago, I’m not sure I’d even consider Gruden a good hire at this point, much less a difference making home run. He never won a single NFL playoff game again after that Super Bowl despite coaching for 9 more full seasons, then resigned in scandal midway through the 10th. He’s also 61 years old now and would probably need at least some time to adjust to the college game. It would be a truly desperate move by Florida if they went after him.

I like the Marcus Freeman idea but he played at OSU so he may be waiting to see what happens with Day. If Day wins a title, then buckeye gig probably isn't opening unless NFL comes calling. So, Freeman may have to eyeball another P4 upper echelon gig if he wants to move on from ND.

Another name that should be tossed in there if Florida is patient enough to wait til end of season...Drinkwitz, who will be highly sought after this offseason.

As far as Chucky, you can't help but like or at least be entertained by the guy. He is all football. Has a youtube channel where he talks shop and breaks down games...dude is all in.

He's a great mix of a football coach who's won at the highest level and your gym teacher/football coach and all the cliches/stereotypes that come with that.

Not sure he's the guy for a Florida type job. Don't know if he's a college coach at all. Would make more since for Giants, Panthers, or some other struggling franchise to bring him in.

Last edited:
Horrible choice by both parties if it comes to fruition. Gruden will not like the college game: limited practice time, recruiting 24/7/365, hobnobbing with the big donors, different culture, different way of playing football, etc. Florida will spend big money and he'll wash out within 3-4 years with little impact on the program. Lose/lose proposition, imo. I say - please be true!

Reactions: The-Hack
Grudej is the type of hire a school like SMU or Washington State should make. A way to find some relevance in the world of college football. No way you’d want him if you are a program with established success.

He had a great 3 year run from 2000-2002. After that, he had a record of 67-82 over 10 seasons.

Freeman needs to worry more about protecting own job security at Notre Dame than going to Florida. If he does, why would want to leave Notre Dame, anyway? Granted, even a dullsville like Gainesville is a lot closer to beaches than South Bend.

As for Gruden, I don't think Florida will want to deal with the media backlash that would come his hire- and don't think it's a good hire, anyway.

Kiffin is an obvious choice, but may decide not to come, and it gets particularly difficult if Florida has to wait out the playoff.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fisch or Drinkwitz is the guy.

Reactions: yoshukai
I like the Marcus Freeman idea but he played at OSU so he may be waiting to see what happens with Day. If Day wins a title, then buckeye gig probably isn't opening unless NFL comes calling. So, Freeman may have to eyeball another P4 upper echelon gig if he wants to move on from ND.

Another name that should be tossed in there if Florida is patient enough to wait til end of season...Drinkwitz, who will be highly sought after this offseason.

As far as Chucky, you can't help but like or at least be entertained by the guy. He is all football. Has a youtube channel where he talks shop and breaks down games...dude is all in.

He's a great mix of a football coach who's won at the highest level and your gym teacher/football coach and all the cliches/stereotypes that come with that.

Not sure he's the guy for a Florida type job. Don't know if he's a college coach at all. Would make more since for Giants, Panthers, or some other struggling franchise to bring him in.
Drinkwitz makes a lot of sense if they are looking for a P5 coach that is young and fits in the “proven but ready to take the next step if he was at a major program” type

I know Florida has to move on from Napier, but man, it’s got to be tough. aTm hired Mike freaking Elko after trying to hire Stoops. Endless pockets and football crazy and rich aTm. Michigan hired an assistant, granted I think that was to try and keep the dead bodies buried. The only P4 hire that seemed to be a dead on balls lock was DeBoer to Bama, and even that one seems like an extremely odd culture fit. Fish would take the job yesterday, but is he REALLY any good? I’m not even sure Drink is all that good (I live and coach in MO), but we’re about to find out over the next five weeks or so.

Moral of the ramblings? It’s not all that easy, even if you’re Florida to hire a proven commodity. My gut tells me it will be Fish, and he will suck.

sure but how many proven home run hires will be available? and there will be competition for those few!

Well if you consider how many posters on just the Cats Illustrated site that consider themselves to know more than many coaches, I'd say there's a whole shit load full of them out there !! I'm sure if you go to the Florida site there's just as many there who claim to be able to do a better job.

• Haha
Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
Believe it or not, there's a lot of talk on Florida message boards about Brohm. Would he be a good hire? I would say yes, though not necessarily an absolute best possible one. Would he seriously leave Louisville? I guarantee what their fans would insist on this topic, but I'm not sure they'd be right.

I'd love it. Assuming he's an upgrade over the next choice Florida takes and assuming Louisville didn't luck into a better replacement, it strengthens Florida, who we'll probably only play every other year in the future, and hurt Louisville who we'll probably play every year. And it's better to beat Louisville than Florida anyway, regardless of Florida being a conference game.

• Haha
Reactions: Bigbluecaleb
Gruden is a great nfl offensive coach but that means little/nothing for college. We saw that numerous times over the years when offensive gurus would step down a level but not recreate the same success.

Imo the key difference is the practice limits. Thats way underrated when trying to install a very complex scheme rich on key details. The wider hash impacts it too but much less than the limited practice.

If I'm a Florida booster, my first concern would be to fire Stricklin and get an AD that knows what he (she?) is doing with respect to hiring / overseeing a college FB program. If the Gators let Stricklin make his third FB HC hire, they will deserve the failure that's coming their way.

Solid coach. Definitely a higher floor than what they’ve had lately. I doubt it’s a name that gets the fanbase juiced though.
You're right, Malzahn won't get the fans hopping....initially. UF will make a run at Kiffin and others but decide their guy is just down the road and they'll eventually be glad they settled on him.

Reactions: gojvc
Not sure why ya'll are down on Gruden. I'd call it a home run hire at most any place...including here.

I don't think anyone is actually down on him. At one time maybe it would have been a home run hire. However as many have said, he isn't familiar with all the aspects of coaching in college. He might take to it instantly but it would probably take more than a season to get acclimated to things such as recruiting (not only high school players, but portal transfers as well as keeping the players that are already there). Also there's NIL to deal with and boosters and public appearances and stuff. There's reason many coaches prefer the professional game because it is just dealing with football.

I believe that now the only part that would be a home run is because of name recognition, not actually anything that there is to show he would be a home run hire.

Reactions: WildcatofNati2
It just seems to me that these once great retreads rarely work out. I think you're better off trying to spot the next new shinny thing as opposed to knocking off the dust and polishing up the old thing.
i think it is a huge gamble hiring any coach whether it be a great retread or a young up and comer

Reactions: Deeeefense
Horrible choice by both parties if it comes to fruition. Gruden will not like the college game: limited practice time, recruiting 24/7/365, hobnobbing with the big donors, different culture, different way of playing football, etc. Florida will spend big money and he'll wash out within 3-4 years with little impact on the program. Lose/lose proposition, imo. I say - please be true!
Everyone in Gainesville is not sold on Gruden and I seriously doubt he will get any consideration. There is always this question of the emails.

The only thing we know that is going to happen is Napier is on his last leg. The buyout money has been raised and it is only a matter of time. Most Gator fans want the AD to sit this one out and would prefer a committee of 3 to make the hire.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT