ADVERTISEMENT

Chip trayanum rb ohio st

Does he have breakaway speed? He had one rush over 18 yards all season.

The dude reportedly ran a 4.38 forty yard dash. Now, that is almost certainly on a stop watch and not laser timed, but that is still damn fast for a guy that is 5'11" and weighs 233 pounds. He's an athletic freak. He is is just stuck at RB 2 because Ohio State is stacked with 4 and 5 stars like Georgia and Alabama are.

Does he have breakaway speed? He had one rush over 18 yards all season.
On a cpl different sites, I’ve seen that he was clocked in the high 4.3s in the 40. According to TOS, The Athletic’s Bruce Feldman put him on his “freaks” list, whatever that is worth. It said he benched 415 & squatted 650 in the offseason, in addition to his 40 time. I’ve watched some of his highlights & he looks pretty fast in the open field, on film. He’d be a nice fit for our system, IMO. He had a long run for a TD in their Spring game this year & you can find his highlights from the game on YT.

From KSR:

Chip Trayanum has not been an explosive play generator at tailback throughout his collegiate career. Over his 227 career carries, only 13.2 percent have gone over 10-plus yards. The redshirt senior will not be a home run hitter but he can be a pile mover.

The Ohio State transfer is at his best as a downhill runner with 72.4 percent of his rushing production coming after contact in 2023, according to PFF data. Trayanum can be a big, physical bulldozer that moves piles and keeps the offense ahead of the chains.

Reid Carraco - DE , 4 star from Ironton Oh , also Tosu , right on the river might be a prospect ? He said he has film prepared for whatever coach is interested

Reactions: Ky grandpa
From KSR:

Chip Trayanum has not been an explosive play generator at tailback throughout his collegiate career. Over his 227 career carries, only 13.2 percent have gone over 10-plus yards. The redshirt senior will not be a home run hitter but he can be a pile mover.

The Ohio State transfer is at his best as a downhill runner with 72.4 percent of his rushing production coming after contact in 2023, according to PFF data. Trayanum can be a big, physical bulldozer that moves piles and keeps the offense ahead of the chains.
Just speculating since I don’t watch Ohio State games, but could his lack of big runs simply be a product of the situations when Ohio State used him?

A significant number of his runs were in the red zone (32%), and you’re not going to get a lot of big runs from that part of the field.

For reference, 17% of CRod’s carries last year and 16% of Davis’ carries this year were in the red zone. So Trayanum’s percentage of carries in the red zone seems fairly high.

From KSR:

He sounds awesome but also someone who would encourage Stoops’ worst impulses. Slow it down and run it up the middle with this kid lol

From KSR:

am i just making it up My head that Ray Davis didn't have the rep as much of a game breaker either

I read an article on him today, played two years at RB at Arizona St, transferred to OSU and they used him as a linebacker with a little bit of RB as needed. He’s 5’11 233, benches 415, squats 650 and runs 4.3s in the 40. Sounds like a brick sh*thouse to me.

Last edited:
From KSR:

To get a lot of long runs, you have to have WR's that are willing to block. I never watched OSU so I don't know if they had that. Downfield blocking can make a good run a big run.

What we need Chip Trayanum to be is a bulldozer who gets the ball against SEC competition, 3rd & 2, and plows straight ahead for 3 yards. We got speedy guys to get outside and gash for occasional big gains. But our roster doesn't have a thumper.

What we need Chip Trayanum to be is a bulldozer who gets the ball against SEC competition, 3rd & 2, and plows straight ahead for 3 yards. We got speedy guys to get outside and gash for occasional big gains. But our roster doesn't have a thumper.
This guy can do that and with his speed he could take it to the house.

Kid is not gonna be a huge home run hitter likely but that's not what we're after with him. We need that pile mover pick up 3rd and short and get positive yardage on 1st down and keep in front of the chains. The one thing we sorely lacked last year.
If he has breakaway speed that's gravy but obviously the kid is being looked at like a bulldozer type. (Benny, Chris)
Also the kids ASU highlights he has some pretty fine runs... if he comes here and he has some plays that rival a lot of those I will be very happy.

This guy is a heck of a football player. Ask Ohio State fans and most will tell you that Ryan Day should have used him more. Ryan Day is the most overrated coach in the country. Hopefully we can get Chip and I’d love for our staff to take a few more of the players that have left OSU.

I'll gladly take this guy or Rocket Sanders, or both, if they want to be here.

Sanders was great in 22. 23 he gained some weight and had some injuries, I think he got a little too heavy thinking it would make him more durable but had the opposite effect and took away his explosiveness.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
To get a lot of long runs, you have to have WR's that are willing to block. I never watched OSU so I don't know if they had that. Downfield blocking can make a good run a big run.
Maybe true. Henderson had more long runs that Chip, but he also got first string reps. Henderson averaged 6.2 per carry on 137 attempts. Trayanum had a 4.4 avg on 85 attempts. Difference seems statistically significant.
am i just making it up My head that Ray Davis didn't have the rep as much of a game breaker either
45 was Davis’s longest and that was against UK.

Good points. Time will tell, I suspect.

This guy runs a 4.3 shuttle, not a 4.3 40-yard. He runs a 40-yard in the 4.6-4.7 range, like Snell. But 40-yard times can be overrated if a player can't run through contact, land forward, find the right hole, pick up blitzes, and hold on to the ball.

But he's the type of running back that I like to have on my team, a running back who can turn a 1-yard run into a 4-yard run. Such a big difference between 2nd & 9 and 2nd & 6.

We need a good primary back and we need a good backup with speed. 5’11” 233 is a power guy, Chris Rodriguez style

Last edited:
Kid is not gonna be a huge home run hitter likely but that's not what we're after with him. We need that pile mover pick up 3rd and short and get positive yardage on 1st down and keep in front of the chains. The one thing we sorely lacked last year.
If he has breakaway speed that's gravy but obviously the kid is being looked at like a bulldozer type. (Benny, Chris)
Also the kids ASU highlights he has some pretty fine runs... if he comes here and he has some plays that rival a lot of those I will be very happy.
He seems pretty adept at working his way outside and turning upfield for those first down gains. Something you don't see a lot from guys his size.

Reactions: HYTCHYE ISLAND
Trayanum transferred to OSU to play LB, which I believe is the position they originally recruited him for out of high school. In 2022 OSU’s running back depth was severely depleted, due to injuries throughout the season. This resulted in Traynanum being moved back to RB for the last couple games of the season, and he looked really good.

This year he stayed at RB and was mostly the #2 back behind Henderson, when Henderson was healthy.

He would be a nice addition to the UK roster.

Looks like he runs great routes, can catch the ball in traffic, and can read a zone, can get to the edge well enough, and gets tough yards. Speed doesn't seem to be a problem. Let's see how the visit goes. Seems like he'd be a great fit.

With Etienne and the 3 already on the roster, DemiSumo, Wilcox, and Lavell we could have a stellar running game.

Last edited:
Reactions: mattrudd
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT