ADVERTISEMENT

Charles Matthews Transferring?

Oh I get the point. That people just go along spouting off nonsense or believing whatever makes the coach/program look worse regardless if true or not. I see it on our board also.
No, you don't understand it, because there is a chasm of space between "believing whatever you want" and having a higher burden of proof between accusations thrown toward your coach/program/family/friends etc versus a rival or a stranger. The latter is just human nature, and it's arrogant and ridiculous of you to expect that to be thrown out for you. Just because a rival fan doesn't require your incredibly high Duke-tinted standard of what constitutes evidence to consider something a mark against K does not mean they're delusional. I don't expect rival fans to give Cal our degree of benefit of the doubt. That would be stupid.

And we could have done away with all of that if you were prepared to demonstrate that you were above these "sliding standards". All you had to do was to concede the Lance Thomas point and I was fully prepared to join you in that magical land where we attempt to evaluate all programs/coaches on an even playing field with regards to burden of proof. You chose not to. Presumably because of, again, your own bias which I and other non-Duke fans have no obligation to share.

about shooting not being easily improved upon? That's a universal basketball understanding. I can't think of any single respected basketball mind that would argue that statement. There's cases, sure, like Shaq and Dwight Howard, Ben Wallace, etc that can't make FTs for only God knows why. But for guards, 99% of the time it's simply seeing the ball go in and repeating that feeling/process. Wherever he ends up, I'd bet my house Matthews doesn't finish his college career shooting 25% from 3 like he did last year.
Just seems to me like the vast majority of kids that are bad shooters coming in to college are still bad shooters when they leave college. I'm talking outside shooting not free throws . JMO .

Yeah, these 4: Galloway, Pilgrim, AJ Stewart, Donald Williams
Those guys can't be used in this discussion, in my opinion. They weren't Calipari recruits.
Dodson had off-court issues and was going to be gone after 1 year, either way. Poole might be an example, but he needed time (years) to be ready to contribute at an elite level. Harrow had some ability but mentally couldn't handle the pressure of leading a UK team. I would grant you Wiltjer. If he had come back, he had elite athletes at every position to compete with. But Wiltjer could have stayed and contributed because he had a skill that was needed, 3pt shooting. Matthews could claim he was recruited over, but that's only if you count Gabriel as a small forward. Otherwise, Matthews probably left because of the returnees more than the incoming recruits.
Edit: this past season was a golden opportunity for Matthews. Briscoe was playing out of position at the 3 and nobody else really stepped up. Matthews should be a true small forward but couldn't earn the spot. His issue isn't that he's been recruited over.
Pilgrim was too much of a beast to ever be recruited over.

Cal needed room. It is what it is.

creamed%20chicken_zpsgreg61hy.jpg

Man, I just saw this (really nbeed some sort of Kentucky news alerting app..)..

Really sad to see him go. I think he could have been a great glue/energy guy next year and an important piece his Junior/Senior year.

Man, I just saw this (really nbeed some sort of Kentucky news alerting app..)..

Really sad to see him go. I think he could have been a great glue/energy guy next year and an important piece his Junior/Senior year.
Pick any major sports news app, set Kentucky as your favorite team, and make sure alerts for team news are turned on.

What do you use? I just never thought the ESPN app or CBS would alert for a bench player transferring. I figured, being a football world we live in, the only alerts Kentucky would get would be tournament related.

April 6th, 2012 - Congrats! The KU Wildcats have won the national title! Jeff Teague with 10+ points.

I was afraid this would happen once I saw that he was going to have surgery.

He likely looked ahead to the 2017 class, saw the likes of Petty, Diallo, and a few others, and saw the writing on the wall.

Reactions: Pluto is a Planet
What do you use? I just never thought the ESPN app or CBS would alert for a bench player transferring. I figured, being a football world we live in, the only alerts Kentucky would get would be tournament related.

April 6th, 2012 - Congrats! The KU Wildcats have won the national title! Jeff Teague with 10+ points.
ESPN and CBS both will

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT