ADVERTISEMENT

Charles Matthews Transferring?

Wow.Didn't expect that.I thought maybe Mulder.

Mulder doesn't have much of a future, and he came to UK with only 2 years of eligibility and behind 3 elite guards and a potential loaded 2016 class. Never saw him as a real viable candidate to transfer as it seems he wanted to be at UK regardless and knew the situation coming in.

I'm bummed to see Matthews leaving. Really thought he could be a good player in the next year or two.

Doesn't happen much to Cal - is this just the third transfer? Poole, Wiltjer, Matthews

Awesome. Hopefully that gives Cal even more ability to play a 1980s all-Power Forward lineup like some of you seem to really want. :chairshot: I'm pissed.

I liked Matthews as sort of an MKG light, but his shot may've been so broken that he couldn't have even hit a Liggins-esque ceiling. Deandre could at least keep them honest out there. Hard to imagine Matthews being a consistent scorer at this level with that Wayne Turner fling.

Reactions: mattrudd
My guess is this has been known to Coach Cal since his postseason meeting with each player.

After all the scholarship worry Cats may have a bunch of scholarships open - Matthews, Lee, Briscoe (maybe)

He's gotta do what is best for him. If he wants to be more of a scoring option/the man, it was never going to happen here. Best of luck to him. Hope he is successful wherever he goes.

Dang, I wasn't really expecting that; even though I remember some rumblings about it when the season ended. I thought he would be a solid player after a few years working in Cals system. I never really saw much of a scoring touch out of him, but I understand if he wants a bigger role than just an energy guy.

I wonder where he'll try to go to? I can't really see him having a bigger role at a top level school, though. He seemed like a good guy, so best of luck to him.

Very early on last season I thought he looked like he was going to be a very active rebounding guard and good defender. Just never panned out.

Guard depth is dwindling...

If we were going to have to rely on Charles Matthews playing a lot of minutes this season we were in a world of hurt anyway.

Hawkins was going to get most of those minutes regardless. Matthews would not have been ready to contribute consistently on a team like we're going to put out there, with or without Briscoe. That's not the type of player he is.

Reactions: BengalWACO
someone had to go, it appeared to be Lee, but I guess Lee can come back and get his degree. Come on down Bolden.

Yeah....this is actually REALLY bad news if Briscoe doesn't come back. Only have three guards on the roster in Fox, Monk, and Hawkins. Anybody gets hurt and we are in REAL trouble....

Reactions: bigc45157
If we were going to have to rely on Charles Matthews playing a lot of minutes this season we were in a world of hurt anyway.

Hawkins was going to get most of those minutes regardless. Matthews would not have been ready to contribute consistently on a team like we're going to put out there, with or without Briscoe. That's not the type of player he is.

I really don't think 3 guards is enough. JMO.

Yeah....this is actually REALLY bad news if Briscoe doesn't come back. Only have three guards on the roster in Fox, Monk, and Hawkins. Anybody gets hurt and we are in REAL trouble....

"Anybody gets hurt and we are in REAL trouble" To be fair, that's sort of the case with every season.

Didnt the 2012 title team only have 2 guards plus Miller who could slide to the 2 if necessary?

I really like Matthews potential especially for his junior year. Think he could have made a huge impact then.

I really don't think 3 guards is enough. JMO.

Who knows, but I just don't think Matthews was going to play much regardless.

The point someone made about injuries is well-taken, but that's the only role I could've seen Matthews filling: as a kind of emergency option. He might end up hurting down the road, but as wildly limited as he looked to be on offense one had to wonder if he'd ever be a mainstay. (Somebody mentioned Darius; only problem with that comparison is that Darius was hellaciously skilled.)

But as an actual contributor this coming season, just don't think he would've been ready for that his sophomore season. If Briscoe leaves Cal is going to have to patchwork it and hope Gabriel can actually play on a wing.

Cal is going to need about 9-10 guys for the 2017-2018 class. There is literally going to be like 2-3 guys left after next season.

Wow

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT