ADVERTISEMENT

Chandler officially visiting kentucky this week

I see people penciling him in as like 8th or 9th man in some cases. Could go like this, but I seriously doubt it. Don’t be surprised if he’s our go-to guy (remainder of roster dependent) by March.
I agree, Aike. I'd bet a pretty big price that Chandler is in the top 6 in minutes played for the season ... and maybe for the first 10 games.

I agree, Aike. I'd bet a pretty big price that Chandler is in the top 6 in minutes played for the season ... and maybe for the first 10 games.
Probably a good bet for several reasons. We aren't going to run across many Reed Sheppards right out of the gate. One has to suspect that Carr, Williams and Garrison will log big minutes as will Butler Brea and Kriisa. He is a better fit to mix with these guys than others we currently have on hand

Reactions: Fox2monk
Just so I am not misunderstanding, he was in a mission trip for 2 years and not playing organized ball but now he is in top 6 in minutes? That’s kinda making me rethink the warm and fuzzy this team is giving me.

Or you’re blindly hoping a 4 star that hasn’t played real basketball in 2 yrs is supposed to be the dude on a really good team.

Come on man. It’s one thing to be hopeful. It’s another to be just silly. If Chandler is the dude on this team at any point in the season, this team won’t be very good.

I don’t think you have the best take here. If Chandler is “the dude” then that probably means he got his game back, which would help us to be an excellent team. He is the most talented player on our roster as of now.

Reactions: tug1543
I don’t think you have the best take here. If Chandler is “the dude” then that probably means he got his game back, which would help us to be an excellent team. He is the most talented player on our roster as of now.
Or the other guys didn’t pan out.

I think some are trying too hard to tamp down expectations. We don’t have games for 6 months. He’s going to be bigger and stronger than he would have been as a top 30 freshman 2 years ago.

A little rusty? Sure. But I bet he’s hitting his stride by midseason if not sooner.
Personally, I am looking at the whole team.

We have 7 guys on the roster already who have started and/or contributed big minutes at the D-1 level, I figure they were brought in to contribute right away and will garner most of the minutes, so I just don’t see many minutes for Freshmen, unless they are really, really good.

I hope he is really, really good, but I’m really banking on experienced guys like Brea, Oweh, and Kriisa to be better wing options. Those three have already been double digit scorers at this level.

Personally, I am looking at the whole team.

We have 7 guys on the roster already who have started and/or contributed big minutes at the D-1 level, I figure they were brought in to contribute right away and will garner most of the minutes, so I just don’t see many minutes for Freshmen, unless they are really, really good.

I hope he is really, really good, but I’m really banking on experienced guys like Brea, Oweh, and Kriisa to be better wing options. Those three have already been double digit scorers at this level.
I think Chandler is a more dynamic scorer than any of those other three, and I suspect that will prove out as the season goes on.

I think Chandler is a more dynamic scorer than any of those other three, and I suspect that will prove out as the season goes on.
Hope you are right. If a Freshman outplays those proven guys, that is a good thing.

We have a number of veterans transferring in who are proven at the D-1 level. They’ve already panned out. If Chandler becomes a go-to presence, that almost certainly means we have an excellent team.

But you can certainly twist expectations into a negative if that’s your thing.
Or you can blindly hope if that’s your thing.

The vets haven’t proven a thing at this level.

I think, if another piece or two (Robinson and Lanier, for example) are added, this team could be top 25. No offense to Chandler, but if he’s the guy at any point and time, that’s not going to happen.

I think, if another piece or two (Robinson and Lanier, for example) are added, this team could be top 25. No offense to Chandler, but if he’s the guy at any point and time, that’s not going to happen.
You’re right. I’m just a blind homer who’s never watched a lick of basketball. Enjoy your misery.

Reactions: KFuqua
Hope you are right. If a Freshman outplays those proven guys, that is a good thing.
It’s a good thing but also not an unusual thing. It’s like we’ve gone from expecting freshmen to perform well to forgetting that they can.

And this isn’t a normal freshman. He should be a junior.

I get the rust associated with the mission trip. And it’s entirely possible that he never gets back to his game all season.

But I think the safest bet is he falls somewhere in between and is playing more like a highly skilled sophomore at year’s end than a typical freshman.

True only if you exclude the possibility of the guy coming on strong and just being really good.

I wouldn't bet the house on it either but I don't see how it would just flat out be outside of the range of plausible outcomes, the kid has talent.

True only if you exclude the possibility of the guy coming on strong and just being really good.

I wouldn't bet the house on it either but I don't see how it would just flat out be outside of the range of plausible outcomes, the kid has talent.
I think it's not "plausible" because not many 4-stars are the dude on good teams their frosh year. Let alone a 4-star frosh that hasn't played in 2 years. Plausible, afterall, does mean probable or seeming probable.

Is it possible? Sure. But it's a long-shot.

If UK got Robinson and Lanier they'd be top 10 and the 2nd line just isn't true. Overall that post is negative enough to appear unhinged.

I think it's not "plausible" because not many 4-stars are the dude on good teams their frosh year. Let alone a 4-star frosh that hasn't played in 2 years. Plausible, afterall, does mean probable or seeming probable.

Is it possible? Sure. But it's a long-shot.
I'd chalk it and meant it as more like within the reasonable range of outcomes than probable but your definition is also an accepted one.

A four star freshman being a stud is not the most likely outcome but it is also lightyears from winning the Powerball or even getting hit by lightning territory.

It happens not super infrequently, we've seen it a few times just in our own program.

Reed was right on that cusp both from the ranking (a little higher but similar tier) and being the best player just this past season.

I'm not expecting any such thing at all, I just don't see any reason to scoff at the idea.

If UK got Robinson and Lanier they'd be top 10 and the 2nd line just isn't true. Overall that post is negative enough to appear unhinged.
lol. If my aunt had testicles, she’d be my uncle.

Reserve the right to change statement if he adds those guys. Obviously adding the two best players would change one’s outlook. Surely you can understand that.

I'd chalk it and meant it as more like within the reasonable range of outcomes than probable but your definition is also an accepted one.

A four star freshman being a stud is not the most likely outcome but it is also lightyears from winning the Powerball or even getting hit by lightning territory.

It happens not super infrequently, we've seen it a few times just in our own program.

Reed was right on that cusp both from the ranking (a little higher but similar tier) and being the best player just this past season.

I'm not expecting any such thing at all, I just don't see any reason to scoff at the idea.
Go through the final top 25 rankings over the last, say, 10 seasons. Find me the 4 star frosh that was even top 3 in scoring on their team. Thats a possible of 750 outcomes. It’s not winning the lotto improbable, but it’s far less probable than most think evidently.

For the record, I think Chandler will be really good. But he’s not going to be the dude on this team next season.

Keep in mind, this board kinda overvalues freshmen prior to them actually playing a game. I can remember people super excited about DJ and AB over the vets they were replacing. Both were ranked much higher than Chandler and hadn’t been sitting out for two seasons. My viewpoint isn’t a knock on the kid and his skill, it’s more of an understanding of just how freaking difficult of a path he has.

What I already love about this upcoming roster is that we will have three loyal guys who all have high ceilings: Chandler, Perry, and Noah.

All three can shoot and have high basketball IQs. All three look to be multiyear. Throw in Garrison and Oweh, who might give us a few years, and you have the makings of a core that Pope can build around.

Deja vu. White men can't jump. This time last year, some of these same posters were making team lineups with Reed getting mop up minutes. LMFAO! We all know how that turned out. Even our brilliant coach couldn't keep him off the floor.

Reactions: CincinnatiWildcat
I see people penciling him in as like 8th or 9th man in some cases. Could go like this, but I seriously doubt it. Don’t be surprised if he’s our go-to guy (remainder of roster dependent) by March.

Pope called him a superstar on the Jon Rothstein podcast yesterday.
Our fans mistakenly act like the 2 your mission is a hinderance where the history of BYU basketball and football has shown its basically the school's only athletic advantage.

Reserve the right to change statement if he adds those guys. Obviously adding the two best players would change one’s outlook. Surely you can understand that.
You were the one that just said they'd only be top 25 if they got both those guys. So I've decided you are a troll and I'm putting you on ignore like so many others already have done. So I won't have to see any more of your idiotic replies.
Can you understand that?

Last edited:
Reactions: Phil_The_Music
You were the one that just said they'd only be top 25 if they got both those guys. So I've decided you are a troll so I'm putting you on ignore like so many others already have done. So I won't have to see any more of your replies.
Can you understand that?
Please show me where I said that. Hint: You can't. Because I didn't.

college gameday sport GIF

What I already love about this upcoming roster is that we will have three loyal guys who all have high ceilings: Chandler, Perry, and Noah.

All three can shoot and have high basketball IQs. All three look to be multiyear. Throw in Garrison and Oweh, who might give us a few years, and you have the makings of a core that Pope can build around.
Great point, not ALL of our roster will live up to the expectations we have for the coming year, but SOME of them will exceed expectations. It is a total unknown who will fall into which category. We need one more 6'8" to 6'10" guy to fill out the roster. Pope has put together about the best roster we could have hoped to have in a relatively short time(proving that he was the right guy at the right time) We couldn't afford to wait on another candidate to emerge and put a likely competitive team on the floor this fall

Can Pope coach at this level? Can he win in the SEC? Can he handle the pressure that comes with being the coach at UK? All remains to be seen, given that he saw it and lived it as a player I like his chances

Go through the final top 25 rankings over the last, say, 10 seasons. Find me the 4 star frosh that was even top 3 in scoring on their team. Thats a possible of 750 outcomes. It’s not winning the lotto improbable, but it’s far less probable than most think evidently.

For the record, I think Chandler will be really good. But he’s not going to be the dude on this team next season.

Keep in mind, this board kinda overvalues freshmen prior to them actually playing a game. I can remember people super excited about DJ and AB over the vets they were replacing. Both were ranked much higher than Chandler and hadn’t been sitting out for two seasons. My viewpoint isn’t a knock on the kid and his skill, it’s more of an understanding of just how freaking difficult of a path he has.
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander is one.

Your point is well taken though.

Pope called him a superstar on the Jon Rothstein podcast yesterday.
Our fans mistakenly act like the 2 your mission is a hinderance where the history of BYU basketball and football has shown its basically the school's only athletic advantage.
Bingo, big as in grown men. BYU football does quite well with these mission bodies, especially the linemen.

Reactions: Jim Malone Lt.

Doesn't fit your exact criteria, but Hubbard from Miss state last year should count. They were a tournament team with him as their go to guy.

I agree that it is a rare occurrence, but it is also clearly true that the high school rankings are not the hard law and every year some guys far exceed and some far under deliver on expectations compared to their ranking. It comes down to the eye test of their game and whether or not you think it will translate to college. (Keep in mind the high school rankings are based on pro potential not college output).

I personally think Chandler going on his 2 year mission increases the chances that he is an impact player out of the gate though. He is 2 years more physically mature, but more importantly he is mentally mature. I would assume he is the type of kid who you don't have to worry about all the small things like being on time, practicing hard, staying focused, having a good attitude, what they are doing outside of basketball. etc. If I know I have all of those things and then on top of that a kid who was Top 40 for his class, I will take that all day and like my chances.

• Love
Reactions: tug1543
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT