ADVERTISEMENT

Cats win....postgame thoughts

I enjoyed watching yesterdays game.

Our defense has some real studs across the board. The depth and recruiting are really starting to show. You can really see it with the speed and athleticism on our special teams too...and Coach Hood has our special teams on point. Our punter is a straight up weapon flipping the field and pinning the other team. I'm salivating thinking of a senior laden defense next year...the talent is legit though, so we may have a couple of early entries. As much as we joked about the weather all week, it seems like we were losing 2 defensive starters to cramps per USM second half offensive possession.

All that said, offense was the only negative from yesterday. There were many contributing factors imo. We definitely missed Boom's explosiveness and I don't see that being replaced unless some of the freshman can start to alleviate that with more game experience. I feel we're going to be fine as far as replacing Baker and Mosier, but the timing of those injuries were tough. On one hand you lost your senior OL and rock Mosier and then you lose one of your senior leader's of the WR group. Their leadership was missed yesterday. The timing was tough because those two were getting all of the starter's reps with the ones for most of fall camp. Their replacements will eventually be fine, but they need to replace the reps they missed out on during fall camp. The OL was bad yesterday and I saw too many deer in headlight looks yesterday. Last year's swag was noticeably missing. I also think our defense was so good in the first half that we were just trying to grind out the win in the second half.

Our offensive coordinator is very good. If anything were to look bad yesterday I'm glad it was the offense. There are still some concerns but I'm optimistic. 1-0

Reactions: 3Bluefever325
^Forgot to add...props to USM. Their defense is very formidable. They played fast and aggressive and the entire team played with heart. Kudos to them.

Reactions: 3Bluefever325
Just to throw this in there....southern miss is no Austin Peay. They play hard, and have two receivers and a running back that would get a lot of pub if the helmet said Georgia or Michigan.
Most folks were saying LAST season it was a terrible team to open with.
It was a good win. Don't fumble in the red zone and walk it in at the end instead of taking a knee and it's a three touchdown win.

Two years ago we would have been screaming for joy for a road victory.

Two recruiting classes don't make us playoff caliber....just better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT