ADVERTISEMENT

Cats win....postgame thoughts

UKErik

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Well, today beat the hell out of last season's season opener. Outside of that, well, it was an interesting day of Kentucky football. Some thoughts;

OFFENSE
-C.J. Conrad is an absolute stud. IMO, he needs to have 3-4 targets per half. Same for Garrett Johnson. Today, there were long stretches where both didn't get opportunities (especially Juice).

-The biggest downside of having success with the "wildcat" is that it encourages future use. Today, I thought UK used the "wildcat" far too often (and occasionally, at odd times). UK's dependence on this formation is worrisome to say the least.

-UK's passing game. I'm trying to put myself in Eddie Gran's shoes. He was dealing with a some youth at the o-skill positions and two tackles that struggled mightily with pass blocking. How much did that impact his play calling?

-Stephen Johnson. UK's passing game is going to be limited with him at QB. That's just the way it is. Like him. Dislike him. Whatever. Johnson is going to be inconsistent in the passing game. It's difficult to be critical of UK's coaches reference who should start (because those guys see practice every day...we don't), but if UK doesn't have a more accomplished passer than Johnson, well, wow.

DEFENSE
-I was pretty impressed with the d-line/front seven. UK's run defense is the most encouraging thing about today's game, IMHO. It was as good as I've ever seen it. And before you discount that effectiveness because of the opponent, we've seen far worse teams rack up 200+ yards on UK.

-I love UK's linebackers. Just studs across the board. Love should get a few gassers for missed tackles though (LOL). Overall, this group was REALLY good today.

-I was slightly disappointed in UK's corners, but depth became an issue to due cramps and injuries. One thing that kind of confused me....SOOOOOO much cushion on the outside WR's. I wonder if that was the plan or if UK's guys made mistakes.

-Overall, even know USM piled up over 350 yards of offense, I thought UK's defense was pretty damned good. After the first quarter, UK's offense was a non-factor. This game was on the defense, and they came through!

-Denzil Ware. Star of the day today defensively, and he wasn't the only guy that played well.

MISC.
-I'm gonna do my best to avoid the week one knee jerk stuff. Week one is always iffy. UK won the game AND the staff learned a lot about their personnel and schemes.

-It was nice to win the turnover battle.

-The 12-men on the field penalty on punt return had me shaking my head. I don't know how that happens. I guess it beats having five guys on the field like the Auburn game a few years ago (LOL).

-QB. All we can ask is that the best guy plays. If that's Johnson, it's Johnson. I don't think it is.

GBB!!!

Agree with everything you said Erik. I cringe every time I see Johnson throw a 5-10 yard ball and can only shake my head at his normal 3-4 horrendous throws that sail or hit the dirt. Drew Barker started on fire last year and then tried to do too much with only 14 second half plays and then got hurt. Drew has to get an opportunity if Johnson doesn't light it up against EKU. He deserves the chance to get his spot back if anything so we aren't left with him transferring after this year and leaving us dry at the position.

1. The defensive front 7 was way better and that is where we can improve the most from last year's team. We were pretty awful in last game vs. Ga Tech and this was many of the same So Miss offensive players and we gave up 17, scored 7 and put offense in reds zone for 7 more.
- DL was way more aggressive and penetration. Elam even got a TFL
- Love looked a ton better at MLB vs. last year....very encouraging sign. Jones is going to be awesome again this year.
-Ware/Allen were players of game....the QB sack/pressure was typical but have come some ways vs. run as well. UK has some legit edge rushers for SEC play

2. Punting was a massive improvement...enough said on that subject given what we endured last year.
3. Offense was sputtering and hope we can work out the kinks.
- Simply put...losing Toth, Boom (I hate we don't him), Badet, Mosier and Baker is going to sting more than many have imagined.
- I hate we didn't use SJ on read option at all. He needs to keep 3-4 times a game to allow Benny room on read option. Teams are going to key all over Benny.
- The overuse of Wildcat outside of short yardage or goal line needs to get re-examined. We lost a handful of drives by getting behind chains using wildcat and So Miss was just teeing off.
- Not to have a knee jerk reaction...but serious consideration for Rose at back up RB is needed. King simply goes down with any contact and isn't all that explosive. We are seriously going to miss Boom...his explosive plays are non existent.
- I liked the play action to Conrad....that play is going to be there all year long.

We'll be OK I think.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Barker take over sooner than later at QB. No confidence in Johnson today on 3rd down. Not good.

Interesting how people are now saying Eddie Gran can't coach or play call.

Give me a break, Gran is the least of our worries.

Reactions: The-Hack
I wouldn't be surprised to see Barker take over sooner than later at QB. No confidence in Johnson today on 3rd down. Not good.

Interesting how people are now saying Eddie Gran can't coach or play call.

Give me a break, Gran is the least of our worries.
I love Gran as much as anybody but I don't see how anyone could've loved his playcalling today. Not one of his better called games at UK.

If we are going to use the wildcat a lot, don't be so predictable. Gotta start mixing in some passes.

Well, today beat the hell out of last season's season opener. Outside of that, well, it was an interesting day of Kentucky football. Some thoughts;

OFFENSE
-C.J. Conrad is an absolute stud. IMO, he needs to have 3-4 targets per half. Same for Garrett Johnson. Today, there were long stretches where both didn't get opportunities (especially Juice).

-The biggest downside of having success with the "wildcat" is that it encourages future use. Today, I thought UK used the "wildcat" far too often (and occasionally, at odd times). UK's dependence on this formation is worrisome to say the least.

-UK's passing game. I'm trying to put myself in Eddie Gran's shoes. He was dealing with a some youth at the o-skill positions and two tackles that struggled mightily with pass blocking. How much did that impact his play calling?

-Stephen Johnson. UK's passing game is going to be limited with him at QB. That's just the way it is. Like him. Dislike him. Whatever. Johnson is going to be inconsistent in the passing game. It's difficult to be critical of UK's coaches reference who should start (because those guys see practice every day...we don't), but if UK doesn't have a more accomplished passer than Johnson, well, wow.

DEFENSE
-I was pretty impressed with the d-line/front seven. UK's run defense is the most encouraging thing about today's game, IMHO. It was as good as I've ever seen it. And before you discount that effectiveness because of the opponent, we've seen far worse teams rack up 200+ yards on UK.

-I love UK's linebackers. Just studs across the board. Love should get a few gassers for missed tackles though (LOL). Overall, this group was REALLY good today.

-I was slightly disappointed in UK's corners, but depth became an issue to due cramps and injuries. One thing that kind of confused me....SOOOOOO much cushion on the outside WR's. I wonder if that was the plan or if UK's guys made mistakes.

-Overall, even know USM piled up over 350 yards of offense, I thought UK's defense was pretty damned good. After the first quarter, UK's offense was a non-factor. This game was on the defense, and they came through!

-Denzil Ware. Star of the day today defensively, and he wasn't the only guy that played well.

MISC.
-I'm gonna do my best to avoid the week one knee jerk stuff. Week one is always iffy. UK won the game AND the staff learned a lot about their personnel and schemes.

-The 12-men on the field penalty on punt return had me shaking my head. I don't know how that happens. I guess it beats having five guys on the field like the Auburn game a few years ago (LOL).

-QB. All we can ask is that the best guy plays. If that's Johnson, it's Johnson. I don't think it is.

GBB!!!

Winning is great, and this was good to get off to a reasonably good start. Even Roger Federer struggles but finds a way to win. We did that against a decent team, but it would appear our coaches made this game tougher to win than it should have been.

Coaches are STILL, at some critical junctures, confused and keep us in a state of disorganization. When the heat of battle gets turned up a notch or two, we look like we've never been in that situation. We waste timeouts, we have too many or too few on the field, we don't look smooth like we know much about what we're trying to accomplish.

Very happy and impressed--FINALLY!!!--with our defense. We finally have some playmakers. Secondary could have played better and will--they had plenty of opportunities to get pass break-ups but were a hair short. I like our balance defensively and our athleticism. Will be fun to watch all year. Nice stand at the end, but largely due to a gift of three penalties on their part. Take that away and they could have scored the tying touchdown and then would get a slight advantage at home in OT...glad it didn't happen.

Defying logic is why we use the "wildcat" with King on short yardage, and why we use it so much when it would seemingly be better to hide what we're trying to do. They knew early and virtually every time what we would do in the "wildcat." It got us very little throughout the game and we seemed to be heavily tied to it...too much in this game when other formations would have been much less predictable. When we handed off to Snell, things seemed to work better, and you retain lots of options with the ball starting in the QB's hands. Further, pretty plain vanilla play calling all day, and at times poor execution on Stephen's part--he has to be better on the mid-range throws.

And here's some irony...the Aussie punter playing in his first major college game actually saved our Australian bacon....time after time. He alone determined a lot of their poor starting field position. He is arguably, and ironically, the player of the game! Yes, Steve Spurrier--you arrogant bastard!--Kentucky does, in fact, have a good punter!

Overall, a good start to the year but in some cases I'm not surprised by being disappointed with not seeing more overall growth and effectiveness with an older team in Stoops' sixth season.

Good summary, as usual. A win is a win. I hate messing with a winner, but otherwise it is tough to see UK winning a lot of games this year with offense like this.
Based on today's performance and considering USC's win over nc state, MSU's win, and Missouri's 72 points... 5-7 or 6-6 are both strong possibilities. Stoops has his work cut out for him.

Reactions: brianpoe
Take away the short throws to Conrad that he took long; and hes awful today.

This is just what we are with him at the helm. He is very very solid, bu he doesnt scare anyone. Their D dared him to beat them all day. He couldnt, because he cant.

Its not his fault. Its just who he is

Reactions: SeveCat
Take away the short throws to Conrad that he took long; and hes awful today.

This is just what we are with him at the helm. He is very very solid, bu he doesnt scare anyone. Their D dared him to beat them all day. He couldnt, because he cant.

Its not his fault. Its just who he is
I've never understood the argument "Take away a guys best plays and then judge him" kind of arguments. The throws to Conrad were really good plays to hit him in seams and quick decisions...and those were ones he missed last year.

SJ wasn't great...he missed an easy one to Tavin in first half....but the play calling wasn't going to allow him to make a ton of plays. Maybe Gran doesn't call plays due to SJ...but again SJ was pretty apt to throw it the last 4 - 5 games a year ago.

My 2 cents:

QB: Johnson is a struggle to watch, agree, but he's now basically 8-3 as a starter. He misses intermediate throws but he wins games. I dunno.

D line: much better. Ware was great. Run D was much, much improved. Young guys are going to be big time.

Secondary: struggled in coverage more than we "should" based on talent. West is a beast.

Wildcat: overused today, for sure. FWIW, the way So Miss likes to walk their safeties up into the box, was not a good matchup. I think Wildcat will work better in other games. Have to at least *show* a willingness to either hand to the jet sweep or throw, IMO. Otherwise way too easy to tee off.

Bowden: hope to see him soon. I think he'll contribute. Don't care about the tweet at all.

O line: a little worried. Not the group we saw last year. Losing Badet, Baker, Boom will demand some dominance up front. Not sure we have it. We'll see.

Johnson was bad today, no way to spin it. O-line was worse. Snell did nothing. Offense was awful. Johnson cannot run. Something is bad wrong with him.
Gran needs to ditch the Wildcat. Way too predictable on offense today. Lucky the defense made plays and scored or UK gets another L to USM.
Stoops disappointed me today. Team did not look prepared. USM defense owned them.
Bright spots were Ware, Allen, Jones, West, and Paschal.

We will not win many games in the SEC running the wildcat

....and some fans think we should play P5 ooc opponents??????
If we would have opened up today against a legitimate P5 team we would have gotten spanked. No doubt

OFFENSE

DEFENSE

MISC.

GBB!!!
A win is a win. Must improve on offence. In the past we would have lost this game.

I love Gran as much as anybody but I don't see how anyone could've loved his playcalling today. Not one of his better called games at UK.

If we are going to use the wildcat a lot, don't be so predictable. Gotta start mixing in some passes.

This. Just did not like the offensive play calling today. Maybe because we were struggling to both run block and pass block, at times, Eddie felt that his hands were tied.

The most glaring observation is that we lack speed on offense. The play that sticks out the most is when Johnson seemed to be headed for a first down in the last quarter but got caught from behind by one of the Southern Mississippi defensive tackles. An SEC caliber QB makes that play easily. Pretty obvious that this team misses Boom badly, and it seemed as if Southern Miss knew exactly when Snell was going to run the ball, even when he wasn't in the Wildcat. The offense seemed very confused at times and plays were very slow in developing. The defense was fairly good today but still gave up around 350 yards, most of them in the air. The game turned out to be a battle of who made the most mistakes and Southern Miss really killed themselves with penalties and turnovers. On the bright side, the punting and special teams play was good but that alone won't win games this season. If we see similar offensive struggles like today you can bet that fans will be calling for Barker again but it's hard to imagine that he could step in and perform better than Johnson since he's been off for a year. If we don't another threat on offense it could be a long season so let's hope that someone steps up.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
The most glaring observation is that we lack speed on offense. The play that sticks out the most is when Johnson seemed to be headed for a first down in the last quarter but got caught from behind by one of the Southern Mississippi defensive tackles. An SEC caliber QB makes that play easily.

That was not one of our D-tackles. That was one of our LB who is a 4.5/6 guy. Again, I think a lot of you have underestimated that USM's 17 D is better than the USM D you all faced last season, in-spite of the horrendous play calling from your OC.

But hey, maybe Gran thought much like most of UK fans that your O could just show up and over power this team and didn't have a game plan in place to counter....perhaps?

That was not one of our D-tackles. That was one of our LB who is a 4.5/6 guy. Again, I think a lot of you have underestimated that USM's 17 D is better than the USM D you all faced last season, in-spite of the horrendous play calling from your OC.

But hey, maybe Gran thought much like most of UK fans that your O could just show up and over power this team and didn't have a game plan in place to counter....perhaps?
Regardless of whoever brought him down from behind it was still a play that most SEC QB's would make. I don't think anyone thought the USM defense was that bad but more was expected from our offense that returned Snell and Johnson.

I've never understood the argument "Take away a guys best plays and then judge him" kind of arguments. The throws to Conrad were really good plays to hit him in seams and quick decisions...and those were ones he missed last year.

SJ wasn't great...he missed an easy one to Tavin in first half....but the play calling wasn't going to allow him to make a ton of plays. Maybe Gran doesn't call plays due to SJ...but again SJ was pretty apt to throw it the last 4 - 5 games a year ago.

I totally agree with the taking big plays away argument. But those were big plays by conrad. Not johnson. Johnson just gets the stats for it too.

Play calling was limited for him. Because coaches dont trust him.

He is a terrific decision maker. Great deep ball. Inconsistent on other throws. And a step slow.

If we are going with Johnson, we need to line up and run the ball between the tackles and let Johnson throw play action passes. Otherwise go with Barker

Johnson was bad today, no way to spin it. O-line was worse. Snell did nothing. Offense was awful. Johnson cannot run. Something is bad wrong with him.
Gran needs to ditch the Wildcat. Way too predictable on offense today. Lucky the defense made plays and scored or UK gets another L to USM.
Stoops disappointed me today. Team did not look prepared. USM defense owned them.
Bright spots were Ware, Allen, Jones, West, and Paschal.

You shouldn't watch any more. too painful for you.

Even though UK played far from a good game today, in the past they lose games like this. We've all seen UK lose to teams much worse than Southern Miss. I am happy with the W even if it wasn't pretty.

Say what you want about Stephen Johnson, he obviously is not a great QB, but the Cats tend to win when he plays more than they don't. He doesn't make boneheaded plays that cost games, which is a good thing. Its hard to not feel good with him in a close game like today, because we know 9/10 times hes not going to do something stupid and blow it.

Last edited:
The question that must be posed is whether the blocking was poor because of predictable play calling or because our offensive line played far poorly... or both? I think we'd all like to believe that we could line up against southern Mississippi and run it down their throats, but when it's largely the same play out of the same formation I imagine the blocking gets a bit more difficult.

We have to stop using the wildcat so much. The beauty of Johnson is that he's got a bit of mobility. It's not great, but he's still a threat to pick up 8-10 yards in the right situation. Running the read option allows him to use his legs as part of the threat. If we don't do this then we might as well not use him. He's not good enough in the passing game to warrant him being in the game if we're not going to utilize his legs. The wildcat telegraphs our intention to much and takes away whatever passing threat we do have. Running the wildcat so often shows defenses we aren't going to pass and as hurt our normal offense using it so often because it means fewer runs for Johnson and fewer chances to catch the defense creeping up.

I'm happy with the win but disappointed we didn't put them away like most thought we would. The offensive line struggled and our corners did too, I though Johnson could have run the ball some and been effective. It was the first game and they are a pretty good team, a win is a win that's about all I can say for today's game.

Johnson does not have a "great deep ball". I wish people would quit saying it. He can throw the ball a long way...but that isn't the same thing as throwing the deep out on a frozen rope.

His only consistent deep ball last year was the deep post to Badet. That's also the play that gives the WR the most opportunity to adjust to the ball while its in the air. Badet was great at making those adjustments on the fly.

Johnson has moxie for days....that's his best attribute. Consistency on any pass play isn't. Was pleasantly surprised by his completions to Conrad though, maybe he has put in the work on that.

Reactions: crestcat and fabcat
Meh. Underwhelming, sure, but I'll give it a few weeks before making any assessments. I vividly recall just a year ago, after the terrible loss in week one and then we looked very very mediocre in week two vs a lower division team. At that point 2-10 looked reasonable....

Agree with everything you said Erik. I cringe every time I see Johnson throw a 5-10 yard ball and can only shake my head at his normal 3-4 horrendous throws that sail or hit the dirt. Drew Barker started on fire last year and then tried to do too much with only 14 second half plays and then got hurt. Drew has to get an opportunity if Johnson doesn't light it up against EKU. He deserves the chance to get his spot back if anything so we aren't left with him transferring after this year and leaving us dry at the position.
Hoak and Williams. We are hardly dry my friend

We will not win many games in the SEC running the wildcat

....and some fans think we should play P5 ooc opponents??????
I think we should replace 1 of our patsies with a p5 ooc similar to our level, yes. Like arizona or something. You may lose u may win. Thats football.

Sorry, I think Johnson did a decent job, no QB would get in a rythm with the helter skeltor offensive game plan we run. We need to ditch the wildcat and actually run a purposeful offense... Were one play sets up another instead of running gimmick plays looking for a big play. Unfortunately it looks like the wildcat is at least 50 percent of the offensive game plan and disgustingly predictable, sec teams will eat that shit up going forward.... Let's hope Snell do t get hurt going forward....

Johnson does not have a "great deep ball". I wish people would quit saying it. He can throw the ball a long way...but that isn't the same thing as throwing the deep out on a frozen rope.

His only consistent deep ball last year was the deep post to Badet. That's also the play that gives the WR the most opportunity to adjust to the ball while its in the air. Badet was great at making those adjustments on the fly.

Johnson has moxie for days....that's his best attribute. Consistency on any pass play isn't. Was pleasantly surprised by his completions to Conrad though, maybe he has put in the work on that.
What about the deep balls to Juice vs. UL for TDs? What about the deep fade/sideline route to Dorian Baker for TD vs. UL? What about the beautiful corner route to Dorian Baker vs. Ga Tech? What about the deep sideline route to Jeff Badet for TD vs. Miss St?

I think Johnson throws a great deep ball because he has an acumen to not overthrow it or throw sideline routes out of bounds so WR can make a play on ball.

2nd game in a row where the staff had more time than needed to prepare and they and the team performance was gawd awful. Gran is a gimmick and has no clue about "establishing" a running game or a game plan in general. It is all drawn in the dirt at a given time.

Defense was good, but had no choice not to be....SMiss was experimenting with QB's and laying all the cards against the run was their only option.

Grade D performance on all accounts...staff and team.

OFFENSE

DEFENSE

MISC.

GBB!!!
Post game thoughts. Defense is ahead of schedule, and Darius West is a great addition. Special teams are much better. Offensive line regressed when it lost Toth and Mosier, and Coach Schlarman is moving his players around too much for the line to develop consistency and avoid making unnecessary mistakes. Fixing the offensive problems we saw yesterday must start with fixing our offensive line. Way too many drive killing illegal procedure penalties and blown blocking assignments yesterday. When our offensive line plays better, SJ will play better.

Reactions: The-Hack
ADVERTISEMENT