ADVERTISEMENT

CATS will go as far as SGA will take them.

One game huh? Green played well...his best contribution was finally hitting some open shots. His four assists got him to 15 total in SEC play. We need his scoring more than anything. Both guys are capable scorers and facilitators. We just need less Diallo at the guard position.

Agree on the last.

They can both be leaders on that floor. They do this by getting the team in to it's offense efficiently and setting the tone defensively. They just need to keep that Diallo guy off the court because he ruins the flow.

One game huh? Green played well...his best contribution was finally hitting some open shots. His four assists got him to 15 total in SEC play. We need his scoring more than anything. Both guys are capable scorers and facilitators. We just need less Diallo at the guard position.

It's not just one game. Throughout the entire season the backcourt that has played the best for us has been when SGA and Green are in together, with Green at the 1 and SGA at the 2.

And it's way past time for Cal to finally start those two together.

I will say this. If SGA is the main ball handler, UK is in trouble in the tourney. He dribbles too much and too long. Ball moves much better when Green is running the point.
SGA is a good defender, but he made awful decisions today that other players bailed him out on. He is too slow to be the main PG.

It's not just one game. Throughout the entire season the backcourt that has played the best for us has been when SGA and Green are in together, with Green at the 1 and SGA at the 2.

Green is our pg, the ball does not stick in his hands.

Now don't get me wrong, SGA won a lot of games this year just with his incredible performances when nobody else would step up or even try to step up.
But he dribbles way too much.
I think he would be better playing the 2 with the option to run possessions when he has an advantage.

Last edited:
It is his team. Everybody else find your role.

I don't think we have a dominant player on this team. So NO, I don't think this team will go as far as SGA takes them, or Knox takes them, or any other one player. We need serious contributions from at least 3 guys each game, and the 3 could be any of our main 9.

Reactions: ala_kat2
SGA is the MVP of this team. No one does as much as he does. HOWEVER, this team only goes as far as Knox takes them. He's that guy! If Knox plays well we usually win, when he does not we don't.

What has been obvious all season is that we have no elite players, and we need contributions from a bunch of people.

Shai, Quade, Knox, Vanderbilt, Diallo, Gabriel. Get all 6 of those guys clicking on the same night and we are ok. Throwing in Washington doesn't hurt.

This isn't any one guy's team, and we can't expect any one guy to save us.

I don't think we have a dominant player on this team. So NO, I don't think this team will go as far as SGA takes them, or Knox takes them, or any other one player. We need serious contributions from at least 3 guys each game, and the 3 could be any of our main 9.

I agree on the dominate player part but my point is that SGA is stepping up as the leader. Something that we lacked all year.

The last 3 games Diallo has played 15 minutes in each game since A&M game. Green had 32 minutes and SGA had 38 minutes today. I also believe that Green made some big plays and passes. Green had 6 assists and 0 turnovers and SGA had 4 assists and 1 turnover. They both can do a great job leading Kentucky the rest of the regular season into SEC & NCAA Tourney. K would love to see more of the lineup that finished the game with Green, SGA, Knox, Vanderbilt , and PJ or Gabriel. This starting 5 has so much energy and Vanderbilt almost had a double/double. PJ, Vanderbilt, and Green off the bench had 40 points and 16 rebounds. With these 5 on the court they bring so much energy on the court. We need both SGA and Green on the court for 30-35 minutes.

Reactions: ala_kat2
As long as he doesn't dribble the air out of the ball then he's good. Has a tendency to over penetrate and get in trouble. Has to make a quicker read off the pick and roll action. Much better with Quade on the floor to help spacing and create better driving angles

If SGA learns how to kick the ball back out when he is in trouble in the paint he might make it.
Earlier in the season it seemed he got to the basket anytime he wanted. They are clogging it up on him now and when he dishes he is turning it over a lot

Green could be but Cal won't let him. I like Shai, but he is not a good ball handler. If we are going only as far as Shai takes us, we aren't going anywhere.

I think he fell back when he got hurt. Never said we were going far. This team has too many holes.

Agree completely...they should both get the majority of minutes at the guard position. This is just a semantic argument around labels. I simply disagree with the assertion that Quade is this great distributor and Shai is simply a 2 guard. In reality they're both combo guards who are versatile enough to perform admirably in both settings. I'm defending Shai because I think he's getting a bad rap for the numerous times he's bailed our asses out when no one else was performing.

Reactions: UK90
What has been obvious all season is that we have no elite players, and we need contributions from a bunch of people.

Shai, Quade, Knox, Vanderbilt, Diallo, Gabriel. Get all 6 of those guys clicking on the same night and we are ok. Throwing in Washington doesn't hurt.

This isn't any one guy's team, and we can't expect any one guy to save us.

I agree.... we had 5 guys in double figures today and looked much better than depending on 1 or 2 guys carrying the load.

Reactions: Aike
Earlier in the season it seemed he got to the basket anytime he wanted. They are clogging it up on him now and when he dishes he is turning it over a lot
True and it's because he really has no outside shot. Team's have to respect Green's shot.

Reactions: JC CATS

True

What is obvious from this game is that Green is our point guard.

SGA is the point guard and leader of this team.

If SGA learns how to kick the ball back out when he is in trouble in the paint he might make it.

Major improvement. Found knox and wenyen. Still gets to the lane but now he kicks more.

Umm not even close.

Couldn't agree more not even close. It is his team.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Both have to play like they did today, if they do we can go a long way. Now if we can get Richards to rebound and or play defense for about 25 minutes a game, that would be great.

It’s never just about one player. He’s definitely an important piece, but we need everyone to step up and know their role and deliver quality minutes.

Welp looks like KSU put the breaks on him. Game plan was obvious. Keep him out of the lane with hip checks, hand checks, illegal blocks in the back, face mask, and horse collar tackles. If that doesn't work double him and make him pass before he could get going down hill. He never got into attack mode. Too many times and some of this was on Cal we pulled back to set up an offense that the refs and KSU would not let us run. We played right into their hands.

2-10 from the field. Terrible turnover on the kick out down the stretch. Missed a baseline jumper down the stretch. Needed to make one defensive stop and allowed his man to break him down off the dribble. Then had a chance to tie it with a 3 but came up short.

We went as far as SGA could take us. Not a very good team but the kid did all he could. He is not the reason we lost but he is the reason we didn't win. KSU was not going to let SGA beat them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT