ADVERTISEMENT

Cats vs Tide Tues...

Disappointing season. UK had too much talent to be in the position of desperately needing to win to make a regional. Offense was very bad, as was the defense. Pitching had its bright spots, but wasn't deep enough as evidenced by mid-week struggles.

It's baseball, so you're going to lose some non-conference games against lesser competition, but you can't lay as many eggs as UK did this year in its midweek games and the bottom teams in the conference. UK lost to NKU (!) and EKU, WKU continued to own Henderson coached UK squads, plus other bad losses in the mid-week. UofL is now on another level than UK, and UK blundered away a big lead in he last match-up with the Cards. The Auburn and Arkansas series stung badly, as did the blowing of a 5 run lead against a highly ranked Ole Miss squad.

In spite of clear underachieving this year (and other recent years, IMHO), I'd be surprised if Henderson is let go. Could be wrong, just expect that Barnhart likes Henderson as a team player and wants to give him a chance to recruit with the new facilities finally (supposedly) coming to fruition, as it is pitiful how far behind UK is to its conference peers re facilities and fan support of baseball. Couple that with UK's historical level of success and the struggles that UT and UGA have experienced after making changes and making hires that were pretty uniformly lauded as great hires, and I'll be surprised if a move is made.

Now, the preceding paragraph aside, UK hired Floreal and Stoops just as new facilities were set to be built (was probably a factor in landing both of those coaches, by the way), and those coaches helped use the positive momentum from the facilities upgrades to recruit well. I think the new facility is one of the best selling points Barnhart would have in convincing a good coach to come to Lexington.

I am going to go back and reply, but I first have to point out that holy hell... UT has thrown out 3 different LSU runners at home tonight. They lead 4-3 going to the top of the 8th. I think LSU can come back and win this considering that LSU is now into the Tennessee bullpen, but it isn't going to be easy.

In spite of clear underachieving this year (and other recent years, IMHO), I'd be surprised if Henderson is let go. Could be wrong, just expect that Barnhart likes Henderson as a team player and wants to give him a chance to recruit with the new facilities finally (supposedly) coming to fruition, as it is pitiful how far behind UK is to its conference peers re facilities and fan support of baseball. Couple that with UK's historical level of success and the struggles that UT and UGA have experienced after making changes and making hires that were pretty uniformly lauded as great hires, and I'll be surprised if a move is made.

Some fair points here. However, Henderson has already proven that he can recruit and get some of the best players in the country. We have been in the top 25 in recruiting numerous times. Despite that fact, we have rarely finished in the top 25 during his tenure. Look at the front page and you'll see a story about UK having commitments from 4 Gatorade players of the year. That is impressive and we're doing that despite the fact that we have terrible facilities.

I think it comes down to an inability to find second level talent and develop it. It has little to do with convincing top level or second level talent to come here and everything to do with not making sure that we put that talent in the best place to succeed.

The next issue I have with this thought is that Henderson has just 1 year left on his contract. I see no way you can give him an extension for basically doing nothing. So, even if you announce new facilities he's still going to have his hands tied behind his back because he will have to convince these kids that he will get that contract extension. So, he either has to get an extension (please no) or we might as well let him go and let someone new get the benefit of the new facilities in recruiting.

Some fair points here. However, Henderson has already proven that he can recruit and get some of the best players in the country. We have been in the top 25 in recruiting numerous times. Despite that fact, we have rarely finished in the top 25 during his tenure. Look at the front page and you'll see a story about UK having commitments from 4 Gatorade players of the year. That is impressive and we're doing that despite the fact that we have terrible facilities.

I think it comes down to an inability to find second level talent and develop it. It has little to do with convincing top level or second level talent to come here and everything to do with not making sure that we put that talent in the best place to succeed.

The next issue I have with this thought is that Henderson has just 1 year left on his contract. I see no way you can give him an extension for basically doing nothing. So, even if you announce new facilities he's still going to have his hands tied behind his back because he will have to convince these kids that he will get that contract extension. So, he either has to get an extension (please no) or we might as well let him go and let someone new get the benefit of the new facilities in recruiting.
Yes... either sh$$ or get off the pot...I'm all in for a new beginning

Looks like Logue, Pop, and maybe Lewis. Strecker is a senior, he is done. Hjelle might could be a starter. Our offense consists of White, Reks and Mahan. Pompey and Cottam show promise, but unless we have a Big surprise, and I don't think we will, we won't have as good a W-L record as this year. I am not normally a ' Glass half empty ' guy, but in this case I am.

I forgot Strecker was a senior. There are a lot of candidates for the positions. Logue, Pop, Lewis, Hjelle, Smith, Ballard, Hamilton, Keen, Schaenzer, Tillo, or any of the 5 (I believe it is 5) pitching signees. However, not a single one of them has ever started an SEC game. Then, if we take out Logue, Pop, and Lewis you're left with only Hjelle and Salow as guys who have pitched in SEC games as relievers. That was not a problem this year with the emergence of Lewis and Hjelle, but that is unusual.

Reks and Mahan are two guys that scare me. Reks had a great year, but we're talking about a guy who gave up baseball, and while he played at Air Force he only it .210. He may or may not come back down to earth. Mahan can do what he did this year, but will he? Pompey makes me scratch my head. He somehow manages to look athletic and uncoordinated all at the same time. Anyway, hard to say what we will do with offense next year. It doesn't look good, but you never freaking know.

^ I don't disagree with anything in your post. I was just making my best guess as to what will and won't happen this year.

Unless somebody unexpected wins the tourney, after today NEIL PRICE said that Ala is in and UK is out because of the rpi... Sorry cb3 i totally disagree that you give GH any credit here. Tonight was a MUSTwin and you don't throw your best guy...you know better than that ...hopefully this is the last time we have to put up with#20

I think it is fair to disagree. However, I don't think the pitching hurt us tonight. Logue did pretty well, and wouldn't have given up those early runs but for our defense being incompetent. Pop came in and did unexpectedly great until he started to lose some of that command. That is where Henderson messed up, I think going three innings is a lot to ask of a relief pitcher. I think it would have been great to go with Beggs or Cody, but even if we do then that doesn't mean our defense would have backed them up.

Where we struggled was Henderson's stupid lineup. All year long Henderson refused to make any changes to help his hitters and to get the best guys out there. Instead, he just kept shuffling out the same 1 or 2 guys. Tonight he sent out Shelby to hit in the 3 hole while Shelby is hitting .188 in SEC play. McNeil goes out there with just 8 hits in his last 80 at bats and he hits 5th. Why? Then we decide to use Heady, I guess for defense, but he's only hitting .217 in SEC play. Why not have Mahan hitting third? Why not push someone like Shelby down to 6th or 7th? Take McNeil out entirely and put in Squires, who is hitting .255. Just stupid lineup decisions, not to mention poor approaches at the plate. That's what killed us.

^ I don't disagree with anything in your post. I was just making my best guess as to what will and won't happen this year.

I kind of go back and forth on it. I don't have faith that Barnhart will pull the trigger, but that the same time, I don't see how he can really let Henderson operate with a 1 year contract. I feel like Barnhart has to do something, but I don't know what he can do.

By the way, the LSU/Tennessee game was a whole lot of fun. LSU wins it in walkoff fashion. Serrano is probably going to get fired. His team has a whole lot of offensive talent, but their bullpen is atrocious.

I also randomly decided to check out Nick Shumpert and see how he is doing... he hit .284 for the season, 13th best average on his team. Nothing about his stats are overly impressive, but I am sure he'll still be a top draft pick when eligible.

Last edited:
Didn't really know where to put this, but former UK assistant Brian Green New Mexico State to an impressive 32-21 record in the regular season. That is not a desirable place at all but he's got them to the 30-win mark in just his second season.

Didn't really know where to put this, but former UK assistant Brian Green New Mexico State to an impressive 32-21 record in the regular season. That is not a desirable place at all but he's got them to the 30-win mark in just his second season.
Brian Green was one heck of a good hitting coach at UK. The Cats set several offensive records while he was here those 6 seasons. One of his assistants is Mike Brown who hit .370 or something like that one season at UK.

Green and NMSU still have a chance to make it into the tournament. They have to win the WAC, but they finished second overall in the conference and were just one game back. Their good year could tack on a few more wins.

By the way, the LSU/Tennessee game was a whole lot of fun. LSU wins it in walkoff fashion. Serrano is probably going to get fired. His team has a whole lot of offensive talent, but their bullpen is atrocious.

I also randomly decided to check out Nick Shumpert and see how he is doing... he hit .284 for the season, 13th best average on his team. Nothing about his stats are overly impressive, but I am sure he'll still be a top draft pick when eligible.
Watched that game and yes it was entertaining...I think starting Beggs would have been a moral booster to the rest of the guys on the team. Listen I worked with many college and pro bb players my entire working career and guys are as fickle and superstitious as it gets. It is all a mind game to these guys. Starting Beggs could have sent a sense of urgency to these guys about how important this game was. I'm sorry it was the MOST important game of the season and you pitch a guy, who though he did well, should have not been put in that situation kinda like Call did with the twins last year Wisconsin instead playing Booker and Ulis...just no excuse for it...does Beggs now get to pitch today? It's over

Reactions: Comebakatz3
OK The good for 2017.... E White, Z Reks, R Mahan, C Kottam, T Pompey, Z Logue, J Lewis, S Hjelle, L Salow, J Shelby, if he returns, Henderson if gone.
The bad for 2017... Henderson returns, Eckstein returns, Beggs and Cody gone, Strecker gone, J Shelby gone, Incoming freshmen get drafted high and go pro.
Grey area... T Marshall, T Squires, Z Brown, Z Pop, S Wilson, M Carson, B Schenzer ? D Tillo.
Same HC, not too thrilled, New HC very thrilled !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT