ADVERTISEMENT

Cats vs Tide Tues...

AgesBlue

Senior
May 25, 2010
Dday for UK baseball in the SEC tourney. Zachary Logue gets to carry the mail today, hope he can deliver. Look for a low scoring game 3 runs might win it. BTW, D1 baseball has the Cats as the number 3 seed in Coral Gables,, playing No. 2 seed Minnesota. Fun in the sun baby !!

Just finished having fun in the sun, if you call yard work fun. lol It is 84 degrees here in Southeast Ky. I am sure it is warmer than that down in Alabammer...... Go C A T S !

Looks like UK is going to go with:

White
Reks
Shelby
Hairston
McNeil
Mahan
Cottam
Pompey
Heady

Not sure what I think about Heady being in there.

Logue does well in that first inning and gets out of it with just 8 pitches.

I would also love to see Squires hitting DH instead of McNeil, who is hitting just .222 in SEC play, and doing very bad as of late. Squires is at least hitting .255. Might not give you as much power, but in this game we need to string together some hits.

Reactions: AgesBlue
Got some pretty good contact there in the first. That's a good sign going forward. I think we need to be patient at the plate and make this guy throw strikes. Get to the bullpen and our chances go up quite a bit.

Great play right there by Heady. Thought that was going to be one of those dying infield hits, but Heady did a good job getting the leadoff hitter.

Ugh... what the heck was that? Heady and Mahan aren't on the same page and instead of getting the double play we get runners on 1st and 2nd.

Uh oh... Mahan with a possible error here on another possible double play. Bases juiced for Bama. Looks like UK might have been the victim of a bad call, but it was a close one.

Logue walks in the first run. Alabama up 1-0 with 1 out here in the top of the second. Logue trying to work that outside corner. Henderson already out of the dugout... he's getting that tv time.

The 2 dufus infielders cannot execute simple ground balls. Now it is 3 to 0 Bama. Geese o mighty we may already be done !

Logue then gives up a strong single to left center that plates two runs for Alabama to give them a 3-0 lead. Pompey bobbled it out there to put runners on 1st and 3rd with 1 out. Not good for UK's prospects going forward.

It's now pushing 5PM in Hoover... that place will likely be filling up with some Alabama fans pretty soon and this game will get even harder for us.

The 2 dufus infielders cannot execute simple ground balls. Now it is 3 to 0 Bama. Geese o mighty we may already be done !

I think that Heady was in the game for his defense. That is not paying off this inning as he and Mahan have pretty much committed two errors this inning.

Logue gets a strikeout to get the second out.

Holy crap!!! They just said that McNeil is 8 for his last 80 (now 81). Why the heck is he playing?!!?

Disaster, this game is over. Mahan got screwed on that call, but Heady totally unprepared to cover the bag on what would have been as second out. Meanwhile, UK offense completely sputtering. 0 hits through 2 innings.

Holy crap!!! They just said that McNeil is 8 for his last 80 (now 81). Why the heck is he playing?!!?

Makes no sense to me. he is an automatic out. I would throw nothing but curve balls and sinkers as he has no ability to hit offspeed pitches.

UK goes 3 up 3 down in the bottom half of the 2nd. Mahan looked to have a base hit, but the Bama shortstop made one hell of a play to get him at first.

Makes no sense to me. he is an automatic out. I would throw nothing but curve balls and sinkers as he has no ability to hit offspeed pitches.

Nope... sliders are his nemesis. Throw a slider that fades away from him and he will swing at that thing on the corner every single time. Never hit it. I don't think he's in a slump... I think opposing pitchers have figured him out and have him scouted and know what he can't hit.

Wow... Alabama gets a single to center and then they steal second without a throw. Defense has been poor to say the least. 2 outs now as Alabama has a runner at third.

Logue pretty much throwing just fastballs at the moment. He's not very sharp and is already up over 50 pitches in the game. UK got out the inning, but we'll likely have to get into the bullpen pretty soon and that is not going to bode well for our future, if we even win this game.

Kole Cottam showing no patience whatsoever and flies out in foul ground on the first pitch. Eicholtz has retired the first seven batters he's faced.

UK still hitless through three innings. Eicholtz has thrown just 30 pitches. Alabama has to feel really good about how this is going so far.

Totally pathetic at-bats so far. No one making this guy work. This game is over, folks. We ain't scoring three runs today, and even if we do, we're going to the bullpen soon so we're going to give up more runs.

One can see we have weaknesses that need to be addressed before 2017. These aspects of the game should be a fairly easy fix, shore up infield defense, better approach at the plate, getting players in their most effective spots both offensively and defensively.

One can see we have weaknesses that need to be addressed before 2017. These aspects of the game should be a fairly easy fix, shore up infield defense, better approach at the plate, getting players in their most effective spots both offensively and defensively.

Those are things that should not be an issue at all. Especially with a team that is pretty experienced, like this one is. Plus, sadly enough, it is some of our more experienced players that are struggling while our younger players are helping to carry us.

Nice shot by White to get UK on the board. Meanwhile, Shelby has to be better at the plate. He's not getting a fastball anytime he's down in the count, yet he's flailing at every offspeed pitch thrown to him. Strikes out in three pitches.

At least we won't get shut out ! Our impatience at the plate is really hurting us, we are not making the Tide pitcher work at all. At least take some pitches, and keep his butt out in the heat !

Wish we had 3-4 more Evan Whites. Guy battles at the plate, while Shelby and Hairston and McNeill just flail away as if they've never seen an off-speed pitch.

Like clockwork, yet another error on Mahan. Instead of being the third out, we now have a man on 1st. We'll see if it costs us any runs.

Another error for UK. Logue can't really buy a break from his defense. He'll be up over 80 pitches after 5. Mahan now with 30 errors on the season. He's got more on his own than some entire teams.

It will be very interesting to see what Henderson does in the 6th. Once again, Logue has only thrown over 5 innings twice this year, and has never completed 6 innings. Will Henderson let him go another one and get around 100 pitches or will he go to the pen?

Mahan's first error wasn't a good call but that was clearly a throwing error. Leads the SEC in errors yet the defensive upgrade Henderson went with this game was playing Heady at second over Luke Becker.

I wanted to see another angle on the first Mahan error. I think my problem with it, and I could be wrong, is that he dropped it before his hand ever got to the glove. Kind of like he wanted to throw it out of the glove to his other hand.

McNeil shows his patience by swinging at the first freaking pitch. Meanwhile, Henderson does his interview and heads towards the tunnel in the dugout. Where the hell is he going?

Mahan's first error wasn't a good call but that was clearly a throwing error. Leads the SEC in errors yet the defensive upgrade Henderson went with this game was playing Heady at second over Luke Becker.

I think Henderson has a kind of love affair with Heady. Not sure if he is still hung up on Heady's high school ranking or what, but it is pretty clear that Heady just hasn't been able to put it together at this level. No real sense in having him as a starter unless you've got a damn good hitting team to put around him. This year, we don't have that, so he doesn't need to be starting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT