ADVERTISEMENT

Cats vs. Gators - Game 3

It wasn't like the whole game was awful, but clearly not good enough to win at this level. Got thrown out at home. Wild pitch at a bad time, two infield errors. Not the kind of focus that will win the tough games.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
I didn't get the chance to watch this one today. But, from reading post we've made some shitty decisions with base running blunders? That hurts.. yesterday was a horrible game as well, pitcher for UF was locked in

We had runners on second and third with Carson up and no outs. Carson was going to lay down a bunt but the ball was outside. Squires for whatever reason got strung out between second and third and got picked off. Carson then dribbled a double play ball to the pitcher.

Another inning we had runners at second and third with two outs and Cottam at second attempted to get caught in a run down to manufacture a run. Florida cut off the throw and threw Squires out at home before the rundown ever started.

Reactions: Washed_Up2
In my opinion twice this staff should have went to Thompson and didn't. Both times allowed Florida to build comfortable leads and get wins.

We had runners on second and third with Carson up and no outs. Carson was going to lay down a bunt but the ball was outside. Squires for whatever reason got strung out between second and third and got picked off. Carson then dribbled a double play ball to the pitcher.

Another inning we had runners at second and third with two outs and Cottam at second attempted to get caught in a run down to manufacture a run. Florida cut off the throw and threw Squires out at home before the rundown ever started.

Can't win on the road against top 5 teams doing that. Shew

Can't win on the road against top 5 teams doing that. Shew
The first was inexcusable and you could blame for almost solely on the loss. If we get that bunt down we put pressure on that pitcher and make him throw more pitches and get to the bullpen earlier.

Not good enough to beat a good team. UK has gotten away with reckless base running decisions much of this year and it came back to bite them today when they gave away out number one after the first two had reached safely. Lewis ineffective after taking liner on the leg. Questionable decision, IMO, with who replaced Lewis given who they had fresh and ready to go. Two errors. Pompey and Mahan struggled at the plate.

This team has exceeded expectations and has the talent to make a run. But today was a big time missed opportunity for them. No sugar coating it. They ought to have some fire in their bellies after that performance.

If they want to reach remaining goals, they'll have to clean up these mistakes and make better decisions. The level of play the last two days will not cut it come tournament time.

Good game and good series guys. Looks like you guys have got a good coach. It also looks like you team is senior laden?

Good luck in the SEC tournament and in the NCAAs

Hindsight is 20/20, but Thompson in instead of Machammer, and then Salow to go an inning or 2. What could have been, we out hit the Gators 11-7, but base running and errors, along with questionable pitching decisions.
Hey buddy, we have missed you over on the Gator board the last two days. Come on back over!

Good win, we made you guys mad by winning big on thursday. Give the Gators credit for coming back to win the last 2 games !
Thanks. Those first two games were a real puzzle. UK dominated the first game and UF dominated the second. I did not expect either to happen. The third game was a little more like what I expected.

We certainly came from behind today. But I think yesterday we were ahead the whole game?

In any case, it looks like you guys will be a #2 or #3 seed in the SEC-T. That probably means you will be opposite of LSU?

I think you guys have a chance to host a Super. You have a Region Host all locked up imo.

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
In my opinion twice this staff should have went to Thompson and didn't. Both times allowed Florida to build comfortable leads and get wins.
Exactly...inexcusable coaching mistakes games two an three...if Thompson starts game two I think we take th series.

I agree , Thompson ought to replace Logue as the third starter. Should of also come on in,in relief,twice.

Exactly...inexcusable coaching mistakes games two an three...if Thompson starts game two I think we take th series.
Part of me says that with the way Singer pitched we were unlikely to win game two regardless. However, letting them win like they did really helped them get back into the series mentally

Bitter loss and missed opportunity today. It seems Thompson should have come in at the first sign of trouble followed by Salow. But if you take a look at the overall year so far, it's been a hell of a ride. And better for this coaching staff to learn from its mistakes now rather than in the regional. Get ready for Hoover and postseason play now.

This is twice this year that we've crushed opponents in game one only to basically be blanked in game two. The question is why. It isn't just on Logue when our bats are also quiet. So, what changes mentally from game 1 to game 2 when we crush opponents?

I am staying positive in spite of today's loss. The base runnning blunders are a feature of being too aggressive. hopefully, it will be corrected for the tournaments. My only worry is the depth of our bullpen. There are no dependable relief pitchers past Salow and Machemer. Hopefully, we will get Pop back for the Regionals. Thompson must be in the rotation in place of Logue, although Logue will have to be the 4th starter.

Nope. He would be used in a save situation, but we never had one.

Just curious. What's the logic behind Lewis starting Game 3 and not Game 2?

For situations like this week, that makes Salow more valuable. Heck could even start a game 3 pending the situation.

Just curious. What's the logic behind Lewis starting Game 3 and not Game 2?

For situations like this week, that makes Salow more valuable. Heck could even start a game 3 pending the situation.
Thompson should have been pitching game 2 for at least 2 months now, but then with Logue pitching mid week would we have lost nonconference games like otis and iu...

I am staying positive in spite of today's loss. The base runnning blunders are a feature of being too aggressive. hopefully, it will be corrected for the tournaments. My only worry is the depth of our bullpen. There are no dependable relief pitchers past Salow and Machemer. Hopefully, we will get Pop back for the Regionals. Thompson must be in the rotation in place of Logue, although Logue will have to be the 4th starter.
With you gabe...even though I blame the coaches this weekend, it's time to get as far as we can in the sec tourney and see what seed we get. Hopefully lots of games left to be played...#GOCATS!

Thompson should have been pitching game 2 for at least 2 months now, but then with Logue pitching mid week would we have lost nonconference games like otis and iu...

I understand people think Thompson over Logue
But why Lewis in G3 and not G2 all season. Just a question seems like you would want to try and get the series win as soon as you can.

I understand people think Thompson over Logue
But why Lewis in G3 and not G2 all season. Just a question seems like you would want to try and get the series win as soon as you can.
Makes total sense and takes the pressure off game three...Thompson for game 3. I like it. Maybe the coaches will change it up for tournament time. Only a few tomorrows left now, got to go with your best.

Reactions: LukaszObrzut
Makes total sense and takes the pressure off game three...Thompson for game 3. I like it. Maybe the coaches will change it up for tournament time. Only a few tomorrows left now, got to go with your best.

I didn't know if there's a logical reason behind him pitching the last game.

For example, say Lewis pitches G2 and you get drilled with same results. You would be willing to put Salow out there for more innings in G3 and have him go an extended outing in a critical game. Seems like it would open up more scenarios

I didn't know if there's a logical reason behind him pitching the last game.

For example, say Lewis pitches G2 and you get drilled with same results. You would be willing to put Salow out there for more innings in G3 and have him go an extended outing in a critical game. Seems like it would open up more scenarios
Said earlier, I think Thompson may be the best pitcher we have right now. Think only Hjelle may be better and I'm a huge fan of Lewis.

This + we left the bases loaded with Mahan at bat twice and got nada. Really tough loss.

I suppose you could look at this either way. Game one is huge.
This + we left the bases loaded with Mahan at bat twice and got nada. Really tough loss.

Yea but those aren't mistakes as much as it is just tough to get 2 out hits.

When your lackadaisical in G2 after gaining control and advantage... You set yourself up for exactly what happen. UF did not have a strong history of winning series after losing G1 nor were they all that great in rubber matches.

When your lackadaisical in G2 after gaining control and advantage... You set yourself up for exactly what happen. UF did not have a strong history of winning series after losing G1 nor were they all that great in rubber matches.

I think we lost 3 of the 10 SEC series and two of those we gave away. Only the MAY series is one where I felt on that weekend that they were just better

Gotta have four starters now anyway. I would categorize Logue as below average for SEC play, but he's not the scrub some are making him out to be. He held Vanderbilt to one run in eight innings and had several other good starts this season.

Lately he's not been good. I think Thompson will get a chance to start in Hoover but I wouldn't give up on Logue. UK's going to need him whether he's a starter or reliever.

Derek, I wonder if there's a chance Logie returns for next season the way he has struggled a bit in SEC play this year?

Gotta have four starters now anyway. I would categorize Logue as below average for SEC play, but he's not the scrub some are making him out to be. He held Vanderbilt to one run in eight innings and had several other good starts this season.

Lately he's not been good. I think Thompson will get a chance to start in Hoover but I wouldn't give up on Logue. UK's going to need him whether he's a starter or reliever.
Time for all hands on deck!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT