ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Cards top Cats

Jeff Drummond

Nov 25, 2002
LEXINGTON, KY
Cards top Cats

Jeff Drummond • CatsIllustrated.com
@JDrumUK

No. 10 Louisville claims 8-3 win over Kentucky in first of two season matchups between Bluegrass State rivals.

vycejuzsrippzj3mrbii

UK left-hander Mason Hazelwood.
Barry Westerman/UK Athletics

Kentucky's defense let down its pitchers Tuesday in an 8-3 loss at Louisville.

The No. 10 Cardinals took advantage of three errors by the Wildcats to erase an early 2-0 deficit and plate six unearned runs on the day.

Louisville (23-6) got two hits and three RBI from left fielder Jake Snider. Zeke Pinkham and Drew Campbell also had a pair of hits and one RBI for the Cards, who made the most of their seven hits.

Adam Elliott (2-1) earned the win for UofL with two scoreless innings out of the bullpen. He allowed no hits, walked one, and struck out three.

Mason Hazelwood (1-2) started for the Cats, allowing four runs (one earned) on two hits and a walk over three innings on the mound.

Junior designated hitter T.J. Collett had two hits and drove in all three runs for Kentucky (16-13). Austin Schultz added a double for the Cats, who had trouble putting the ball in play consistently against four UofL pitchers. UK struck out 12 times on the day.

Kentucky heads back on the road this weekend as it takes on Missouri in Columbia. Friday night’s game starts at 7:30 p.m. ET and airs on the SEC Network Plus.

Our baseball has turned to well, not good stuff.

Gonna be a rebuild year. I think that's the best way to treat it at this point. Sucks to go into a beautiful new stadium and not be competitive, but they had so many pros leave the roster after last year. Really asking a lot to lose 13 draft picks and not skip a beat.
Jeff ...please tell me where you can even remotely see next season even being as good as this one and it's going to be really bad

It would be easier to accept this year as a rebuilding year if Kentucky could have managed to make the NCAA tournament with their 13 draft picks. Also, the early returns on the players coming back next season don't leave much room for optimism. Hopefully things improve and recruiting ticks up with the new stadium because the current trajectory isn't great.

Jeff,what’s your evaluation of Mingione’s recruiting ability

Jeff,what’s your evaluation of Mingione’s recruiting ability

Honestly, I believe jury is still out. First year, he caught lightning in a bottle with returnees from previous class. Last years class ( Freshman & Jucos) here in 2019 not up to what Hendo/Bohannon brought in. Bohannon being the lead recruiter. He is a genius at evaluating kids. Just look at Bama's progression this season. Minge is heavy on Jucos. You hit on some, and you miss on some.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Honestly, I believe jury is still out. First year, he caught lightning in a bottle with returnees from previous class. Last years class ( Freshman & Jucos) here in 2019 not up to what Hendo/Bohannon brought in. Bohannon being the lead recruiter. He is a genius at evaluating kids. Just look at Bama's progression this season. Minge is heavy on Jucos. You hit on some, and you miss on some.

There are a few players left that were recruited by Bohannan/Henderson. They just aren't being utilized much, if at all.

Reactions: MAYHOO22
I like Mingione,just concerned that the drop off is temporary,not a continuing problem. Would like to become a top tier SEC baseball program,and beat UL more than lose!
Color me seriously concerned...know there are two excellent players in eastern Ky this year that are supposed to be excellent players. One is committed already, but Vandy wants him very bad and the other is a fb prospect, but have read that he is good enough at baseball to get drafted

Last edited:
Reactions: law1127
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT