ADVERTISEMENT

Opening weekend observations

MAYHOO22

Gold Member
Dec 17, 2018
Hello everyone. My observations from the opening weekend trip against USC Upstate;

First of all it was cold! I went Friday & Sunday, and those days were cold. From what I was told, it was much colder on Saturday! Glad I was at home listening.

* Friday Pitchers:
T. Smith was ok. Struggled a little with control, but overall not a bad performance. Only was in trouble once.
T. Pooser was just ok. Got hit but wiggled out of jams. Threw strikes
E. Byers threw hard. Looked good! Only faced 1 batter, but struck him out.
* Friday hitters
Lopez is a dude! Was on every pitch!
Nicholson is also a dude! Guy can really hit.
G, Smith was staedy at the plate & unreal at short.
E. Pitre the same as Grant.
J. McCoy struggled. Lots of swing and misses.

Sunday:

* Pitchers

Mason looked good. Lots of ground outs. Steady!
O'Brien threw well. Only faced 2 batters.
Robinson got hit hard in his inning & third.
Nove did well. Threw strikes, but did walk a few.
Frieda pitched well. Throws hard with a good curve.

* Hitters
Crittenberger on every pitch! Really good at bats!
Scrham looks good. Built like a Greek God. Strong. Killed the homer. Just needs playing time.
Herrrea, Daley, and McCarthy all had good at bats!
Burkes is our star. Leader in every sense of the word!

I cannot remember a time where our starters and bench are so even. Kids really battling for PT.

Like I said before, I'm really shocked we've got at least 2 freshmen fighting for PT in the field. Nothing against those guys, it's just that we're a deep team even without them so I'm really surprised they may not be redshirting. Of course, I think they can play a good chunk and preserve the redshirt but a guy like Cameron starting two games makes it seem like that isnt the plan.

Reactions: MAYHOO22
I was pretty shocked Cameron started over Crittenberger Friday & Saturday. Ty had a big day Sunday, so we shall see. I hope Small or Fawley can spell Burkes some on weekday games....or in late innings on weekends.

Like I said before, I'm really shocked we've got at least 2 freshmen fighting for PT in the field. Nothing against those guys, it's just that we're a deep team even without them so I'm really surprised they may not be redshirting. Of course, I think they can play a good chunk and preserve the redshirt but a guy like Cameron starting two games makes it seem like that isnt the plan.
Seems like we are pretty deep. Hopefully Ming works it out or it works itself out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT