ADVERTISEMENT

Cancelling my cable

Why wouldn't one care about soccer? Great, great, skills game. Going to see Messi Aug. 23. Oh, and how many commercial breaks do you need to sit thru? 90 minutes of skill in 1:45. Seriously try it sometime. Just how many of the same 3 point and FT shots can you watch? The thousands I've seen are way more than enough.
Most boring sport on the planet. Great cardio l guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samurai Cat
Why wouldn't one care about soccer? Great, great, skills game. Going to see Messi Aug. 23. Oh, and how many commercial breaks do you need to sit thru? 90 minutes of skill in 1:45. Seriously try it sometime. Just how many of the same 3 point and FT shots can you watch? The thousands I've seen are way more than enough.
I bet you paid out the butt for those tickets to watch Messi at TQL stadium? If you haven’t ever been to that stadium it’s one helluva a stadium. Messi though is the best player on the planet when it comes to ⚽️…

I've just completed the switch from AT&T Uverse to Youtube TV. So far no significant complaints. And i expect to save about $100 a month over Uverse with more of the channels i want. For example, the SEC network is included in YouTube Tv. It would have cost me extra to add it to Uverse.

You will a fairly fast internet connection so you will likely not be able to completely get rid of you cable bill.
I have Tmobile 5G wireless at two homes in Lexington and Northern Ohio. No issues either place. $50 a month each.

Kind of off topic but…. Isn’t it ironic that YouTube tv, Hulu etc…. have literally become the new cable company. Same concept and not a heck of a lot cheaper. I’m about to cut the stream that cut the cable, if that’s a thing.

The market for these services is constantly changing, but the upshot is that the number of options keeps increasing. At this point, the OP can pick the most appealing streaming option. Streaming works great for athletics.

For those in a slightly more flexible position, I will just share that you can have a lot of success negotiating with the satellite businesses. Direct TV, for example, has an entire department tasked with offering discounts to dissatisfied customers. I forget what they call it. Customer rewards, customer loyalty, or some such. The savings can be surprisingly significant, but you have to call them back a couple of times a year to renegotiate your dissatisfaction because their discounts, while often large, are also time-limited. Still. I discovered that this works well. They know their business is under threat from the newer paradigms, and they will go farther than you think to keep you. This tactic should only get easier as the options continue to increase. FWIW.
I had DirecTV at a cost of about $225 per month five years ago. I requested twice in 10 years to give me NFL Sunday Ticket and they refused both times. I dropped them after the second request and they proceeded to burn up my phone and email for an entire year offering me free Sunday ticket and a hugely discounted package. They learned about retention of customers too late.

Reactions: jameslee32
Cut the cord on cable five or six years ago and use You Tube TV . Haven't looked back.

The great thing about You Tube TV is that you can pause the service at anytime you want and reactivate when you choose. You won't be charged while it's paused . I pause it usually after the final four and reactivate it right before football season

I have had sat radio for years also, to keep from paying full price every year I had to call and threaten to drop. It was a necessary game I had to play with them, they always gave me the discount rate.
However the last time I renewed they told me I didn't have to call and negotiate in the future they would auto renew me at the discount rate so, a good thing!
This exact thing happend for us in May of this year.

We have been calling in May for the past 5+ years to cancel after we received our "new billing" for the year. Each time we got a much much lower rate. This past May they said we would be keeping this new monthly rate instead of having to call each year.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
I bet you paid out the butt for those tickets to watch Messi at TQL stadium? If you haven’t ever been to that stadium it’s one helluva a stadium. Messi though is the best player on the planet when it comes to ⚽️…
Been 3X. Paid face since son & DIL are season tick holders. Understand ticks are going $300-1500.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT