ADVERTISEMENT

Cancelling my cable

CATS1945

Junior
Apr 10, 2012
I am having to reduce my monthly cost. I want to get football and basketball games this season. Can someone tell me an option other than cable

I've just completed the switch from AT&T Uverse to Youtube TV. So far no significant complaints. And i expect to save about $100 a month over Uverse with more of the channels i want. For example, the SEC network is included in YouTube Tv. It would have cost me extra to add it to Uverse.

You will a fairly fast internet connection so you will likely not be able to completely get rid of you cable bill.

Look at streaming services like Hulu Live, Youtube TV, Sling, etc. Most are significantly less expensive than cable and also have local channels and the SEC network. They are also somewhat customizable, meaning you can add channels to the basic package for an additional fee. Several years ago I bought a Roku and switched to Hulu Live. Saved a ton of money and still get everything I used to watch on Dish Network.

Last edited:
Reactions: CGblue
Have used Sling for several years. Runs about $40/mo and I cancel it every year right after the bowl games.

Depending on where you live, a digital antenna that plugs into your TV runs about $25 and allows you to get over the air local channels so any games on regular network you can pick up for free.

There are numerous sites that will illegally stream the games
The market for these services is constantly changing, but the upshot is that the number of options keeps increasing. At this point, the OP can pick the most appealing streaming option. Streaming works great for athletics.

For those in a slightly more flexible position, I will just share that you can have a lot of success negotiating with the satellite businesses. Direct TV, for example, has an entire department tasked with offering discounts to dissatisfied customers. I forget what they call it. Customer rewards, customer loyalty, or some such. The savings can be surprisingly significant, but you have to call them back a couple of times a year to renegotiate your dissatisfaction because their discounts, while often large, are also time-limited. Still. I discovered that this works well. They know their business is under threat from the newer paradigms, and they will go farther than you think to keep you. This tactic should only get easier as the options continue to increase. FWIW.

Have used Sling for several years. Runs about $40/mo and I cancel it every year right after the bowl games.

Depending on where you live, a digital antenna that plugs into your TV runs about $25 and allows you to get over the air local channels so any games on regular network you can pick up for free.
Same here, great deal because you also get CBS which I had to use Paramount Plus for with other services. I also sign up for the yearly ESPN package at $99.95/year, not sure you can stream ESPN plus without it though some say you can. Could use some help with that if anyone knows.

We have Spectrum and was paying a huge amount each month. We called them and said we were looking to change and they decreased our bill by $100.00. They were supposedly running a special and gave us that for a year. I`m sure they`ll be running another special when this year is up.

^ We had Spectrum in NKy & they wouldn't negotiate. Switched to Fioptics & saving $100+/mo. But now I can't get Mexican soccer.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
We have Spectrum and was paying a huge amount each month. We called them and said we were looking to change and they decreased our bill by $100.00. They were supposedly running a special and gave us that for a year. I`m sure they`ll be running another special when this year is up.
That's the frustrating part as these companies blatantly show you their hand, as if daring you to cancel on them. If you can reduce your bill by that much just by one phone call, it shows just how much they're overcharging their customers.

I've just completed the switch from AT&T Uverse to Youtube TV. So far no significant complaints. And i expect to save about $100 a month over Uverse with more of the channels i want. For example, the SEC network is included in YouTube Tv. It would have cost me extra to add it to Uverse.

You will a fairly fast internet connection so you will likely not be able to completely get rid of you cable bill.
Wow. That's a lot of savings.

That's the frustrating part as these companies blatantly show you their hand, as if daring you to cancel on them. If you can reduce your bill by that much just by one phone call, it shows just how much they're overcharging their customers.
That's probably not true. In terms of total cost and total revenue, they probably need to charge what they are charging to earn a reasonable return. But when faced with losing a customer, it comes down to marginal cost and marginal revenue. Marginal cost is probably just the cost of programming, and if programming costs don't change with the gain or loss of an individual customer, then maybe not even programming cost. The infrastructure is already there. As long as the marginal revenue exceeds the marginal cost, they should discount the rate to keep you because they would be better off keeping you than losing you.

Reactions: jauk11 and vhcat70
Also recommend YouTube TV if you're looking for a non-traditional cable option. YOu're limited to using it on only 3 screens at once unless you buy the $20 4K upgrade that gives you unlimited streams. So keep that in mind if your household has multiple people watching at once.

Reactions: gobigblue812
You actually care about soccer, especially Mexican soccer? Please tell me this is a joke.
Why wouldn't one care about soccer? Great, great, skills game. Going to see Messi Aug. 23. Oh, and how many commercial breaks do you need to sit thru? 90 minutes of skill in 1:45. Seriously try it sometime. Just how many of the same 3 point and FT shots can you watch? The thousands I've seen are way more than enough.

The irony is the consumer desire for live sports is exactly what these TV providers are using as justification to increase prices.

The market for these services is constantly changing, but the upshot is that the number of options keeps increasing. At this point, the OP can pick the most appealing streaming option. Streaming works great for athletics.

For those in a slightly more flexible position, I will just share that you can have a lot of success negotiating with the satellite businesses. Direct TV, for example, has an entire department tasked with offering discounts to dissatisfied customers. I forget what they call it. Customer rewards, customer loyalty, or some such. The savings can be surprisingly significant, but you have to call them back a couple of times a year to renegotiate your dissatisfaction because their discounts, while often large, are also time-limited. Still. I discovered that this works well. They know their business is under threat from the newer paradigms, and they will go farther than you think to keep you. This tactic should only get easier as the options continue to increase. FWIW.
Retention

I have had Satellite Radio since 2005. Once a year my Promo Rate runs out. Earlier this year I noticed I was billed $23 for one month so I called SiriusXM to "cancel" and my rate went instantly to $7. It took them about 3 seconds to offer this.

At the end of the day it is all about subscribers to them. More subscribers = more advertising revenue. Even if they break even on me they can make money from those that don't care.

Reactions: JDHoss
I have had Satellite Radio since 2005. Once a year my Promo Rate runs out. Earlier this year I noticed I was billed $23 for one month so I called SiriusXM to "cancel" and my rate went instantly to $7. It took them about 3 seconds to offer this.

At the end of the day it is all about subscribers to them. More subscribers = more advertising revenue. Even if they break even on me they can make money from those that don't care.
I have had sat radio for years also, to keep from paying full price every year I had to call and threaten to drop. It was a necessary game I had to play with them, they always gave me the discount rate.
However the last time I renewed they told me I didn't have to call and negotiate in the future they would auto renew me at the discount rate so, a good thing!

Stream the games from your phone or laptop to a Roku TV, Apple TV or Fire TV. Literally just search the name of the game and "Streaming Free". Have an adblocker on and eventually you'll find a few good sites that have any game you need free. Bookmark them. I'd tell you what they're called but the man is watching lol.

Why wouldn't one care about soccer? Great, great, skills game. Going to see Messi Aug. 23. Oh, and how many commercial breaks do you need to sit thru? 90 minutes of skill in 1:45. Seriously try it sometime. Just how many of the same 3 point and FT shots can you watch? The thousands I've seen are way more than enough.
Soccer is an awful sport to watch. Cannot begin to understand the fascination with this sport. Now table soccer, otherwise known as foosball is fun and I am still pretty damn good at it.

Soccer is an awful sport to watch. Cannot begin to understand the fascination with this sport. Now table soccer, otherwise known as foosball is fun and I am still pretty damn good at it.
It's kinda like playoff baseball where the suspense of the situation makes it a great product. I don't care for MLS but I'll watch World Cup, Euros, CONCACAF or Olympic soccer all day.

Those departments, all cable companies have them, are called RETENTION SERVICES.

I dumped Directv years ago. I've had Sling, YouTube and ATT streaming at different times. All were good and much cheaper.

It's so bad that I spend more time watching it than any other sport with CFB next. I mean CFB last only 12-15 weeks. If CFB had a spring season too, it would probably jump ahead.

As for fascination, you have to understand & appreciation all the controlled ball movement w/o using your hands. Those that have played the sport - not me - a while greatly appreciate those skills. Then you recognize the passing is similar to hoops & the long bombs similar to football. And it's rugged despite the over-the-top fake injury claims.

Go to Louisville media box and buy the streaming box. One time purchase no monthly payments and you get everything. When I say everything, I total mean everything that's on TV.

There are numerous sites that will illegally stream the games
I know a guy that sells the firesticks you can get 1000s if channel through some iptv. He keeps it updated. According to him, it’s not illegal
to stream it, it’s illegal to make it available for download. Ironically my church just did a series called “At the movies” where they play modern movies parts and tie it into the message. They were allowed to stream it (they usually played 10 minute clips) but they couldn’t make the services available online to download.

It's so bad that I spend more time watching it than any other sport with CFB next. I mean CFB last only 12-15 weeks. If CFB had a spring season too, it would probably jump ahead.

As for fascination, you have to understand & appreciation all the controlled ball movement w/o using your hands. Those that have played the sport - not me - a while greatly appreciate those skills. Then you recognize the passing is similar to hoops & the long bombs similar to football. And it's rugged despite the over-the-top fake injury claims.
I love some futbol. There are no commercial breaks to speak of, and I don't need a pinball score to appreciate athletics. Watch enough, and like any sport you learn to appreciate different styles of play, tactics, and strategies... like German football v. Brazilian. We need to get our men's internationals to elite status. It is THE team sport on the planet. Period.

I have YouTube tv for the past several years and it’s been good. I haven’t had cable in years so I don’t what the price difference would be in terms of cost.

I know a guy that sells the firesticks you can get 1000s if channel through some iptv. He keeps it updated. According to him, it’s not illegal
to stream it, it’s illegal to make it available for download. Ironically my church just did a series called “At the movies” where they play modern movies parts and tie it into the message. They were allowed to stream it (they usually played 10 minute clips) but they couldn’t make the services available online to download.
It depends on how it streams. If it's just your standard streaming like YouTube, Netflix, etc. then you're good. If they use BitTorrent, then you're probably going to get busted eventually unless they have it set to not upload.

Reactions: Skyguyb27
I enjoy YouTube TV because it has an unlimited DVR function. However, their price recently went up to like $77/month but I will give them credit for not giving into every increase demanded by various channels. That has caused it to terminate MLB Network and the regional sports networks so keep that in mind if you care for any programming on those channels.

I subscribe to Sling Orange with the sports add on when college football starts and then drop it when college football ends.
Myself as well. $40 per month for the Orange sports package. I start mine every year when college football starts and keep it through the end of March Madness.

Also recommend YouTube TV if you're looking for a non-traditional cable option. YOu're limited to using it on only 3 screens at once unless you buy the $20 4K upgrade that gives you unlimited streams. So keep that in mind if your household has multiple people watching at once.
I also have utube tv. Sec network and lots of others. 6-7 channels showing college games on Saturday, plus all local channels

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT