ADVERTISEMENT

Can we talk about what a disaster Duke was last year?

I'm not a title or bust guy. I am an NCAA Tournament performance guy. Look at all the big wins we have. We've been a contender as in "a break here or there we win it all" 6 of 8 years. That's remarkable.

I wouldn't trade our 8 years for Duke's- no.

I'm not a title or bust fan either. I'm not saying our results during these same years (this decade) are a bust. 2010, 2011, 2014 and 2017 were TONS of fun and will go down as some of my most favorite non-title seasons since I've started avidly following UK in the mid 80's.

But I am a 'Championships are EPIC' type of guy. My favorite seasons, by far, are 2012, 1998, and 1996.

Championships are awesome but tournament runs are so important- the feeling of a big win in March is amazing. How much would it suck to only have more than two NCAA wins 3x in 13 seasons?

No way that would fly at UK over 10 years. Tubby won his first year and the rabble were hounding him the very next season.
Exactly. Tubby won ONE. Coach cal is entering his what eighth year? If Tubby had two in that time period he would still be our coach

A lot of the hype came because of Harry Giles. Most expected him to be at full strength the entire year. Giles, when healthy, was one of the best prospects I have ever seen.

Now, they did have a lot of injuries and a young roster. K needs some vets to hold the youngins in place...and also fake sick while his assistants get clobbered. It goes to show that Cal can mold a group of young players together rather quickly while legends like K cannot...shows the degree of difficulty of what Cal does year in and year out.

I don't agree. Giles was really good, but he was hyped up way better than he actually was because espn and the media decided Day 1 he'd be at Duke.

I can give a list of players better than Giles the last 7 years alone.

Championships are awesome but tournament runs are so important- the feeling of a big win in March is amazing. How much would it suck to only have more than two NCAA wins 3x in 13 seasons?
You're dead-on with this. It's something that gets lost because it's so much easier to fall back into all-or-nothing thinking, especially at a place like UK.

The sheer number of "big" NCAA Tourney wins Cal has at UK is staggering. OSU and UNC in 11, the last 4 games in 12, the WSU/UL/Michigan/Wiscy run in 14, Notre Dame in 15 (even if that barely felt like a win), UCLA this past year. That's 12 that were a really, really big deal when they happened, against elite competition. And the 2nd round wins over WVU in 11 and WSU last year weren't too shabby, either.

Its a bunch of hype really. We just got to work hard, be as fast as possible while being able to control the game.

I'm assuming Duke fans were frustrated with their results from 2005 to 2009, but that frustrated prolly subsided with 2 titles in the last 8 years with multiple 1-3 seeds given after successful regular seasons.

UK's success over the last decade makes the poor results of 2000-2009 seem like a distant, distant memory.

Tournament runs make that particular March more enjoyable. Championships are a lifetime. My hope for most seasons is to be in a good position to win a title, meaning a solid regular season resulting in a high seed with favorable draws/locations. There will be fluke losses here and there which I accept, and Cal has been great at avoiding these for the most part (WVU excluded), but getting a high seed in the tourney is the #2 goal for me going into a season, behind a title. Do that on a regular basis and titles/deep runs will follow.

I can certainly understand your position, and I'm happy to sh*t on Duke as much as the next guy, but if I were a Duke fan I'd be ecstatic with the results from 2005-17......if I hadn't Aaron Hernandez'ed myself first because I was Duke fan.

Last edited:
Here we have a team that many sportswriters (further proving they're awful but nonetheless) claimed was going to be as good as the '15 UK squad, a team that had at least 7 NBA players, a team that brought back a ton of talent, and they were a mess all season and got dropped in the 2nd round of the tournament, spoling a very favorable draw (as usual).

I just want to make sure people haven't forgotten about this trainwreck. This wasn't UK '13 who lost their best six players and then had to reload with a weak high school class, then losing their best player. Duke even got a surprising All-American effort from Kennard.

Here's to another season of overhyping, drama, trips, selfish basketball, poor chemistry, K's excuses and that beadyeyed puffy shadester Capel playing a big role.

Duke: Despite ridiculous hype and easy draws, three trips past the S16 since 2005.

Wow this is sad. How obsessed with Duke could you possibly be? I don't like to post on message boards because it's pointless but the sad level of fixation and inferiority complex here had to be addressed.
Not only is this post about a team that isn't in your conference and that you basically never play, you also have the complete lack of self awareness necessary to post this after a year in which your team had 3 lottery picks and didn't win a thing. Worse than that, you lost to a team that Duke beat twice because you couldn't bother to cover a former 2 star recruit. And Btw, that "amazing" 2015 uk team didn't win a thing either. You lost to a bunch of mid major kids from Wisconsin and then, of course, Duke won it that year. Ouch.
I know it's the offseason which means that things are slow but you completely reveal yourself with this choice. You sound like a sad teenage girl trying to convince the other people at your lunch table that the girl at the popular table really isn't THAT pretty....right guys? I mean like, I totally don't get why people think she's so pretty because she totally not, right?
So So sad.

Now, have fun screaming at a stranger who is right because I'll be back on the recruiting sites that matter, never to be seen from again.....unless you decide to post something sadder than this. (I'm betting that's not possible).

Wow this is sad. How obsessed with Duke could you possibly be? I don't like to post on message boards because it's pointless but the sad level of fixation and inferiority complex here had to be addressed.
Not only is this post about a team that isn't in your conference and that you basically never play, you also have the complete lack of self awareness necessary to post this after a year in which your team had 3 lottery picks and didn't win a thing. Worse than that, you lost to a team that Duke beat twice because you couldn't bother to cover a former 2 star recruit. And Btw, that "amazing" 2015 uk team didn't win a thing either. You lost to a bunch of mid major kids from Wisconsin and then, of course, Duke won it that year. Ouch.
I know it's the offseason which means that things are slow but you completely reveal yourself with this choice. You sound like a sad teenage girl trying to convince the other people at your lunch table that the girl at the popular table really isn't THAT pretty....right guys? I mean like, I totally don't get why people think she's so pretty because she totally not, right?
So So sad.

Now, have fun screaming at a stranger who is right because I'll be back on the recruiting sites that matter, never to be seen from again.....unless you decide to post something sadder than this. (I'm betting that's not possible).

Your herpes must be flaring up

So So sad.

I always love the, "You all are obsessed because you have a discussion about another team" thing, but yet you take the time to come over to another team's board to troll. Trolling is the ultimate example of obsession!

So So sad.

A long post on a Kentucky site to tell us that we are infatuated with you?
UK fans are born, not fabricated because of our teams' success. Coach K will retire soon enough and you'll jump to another team that is winning at the time. Do not try to jump into the BBN, there is a strict "no pussies" allowed in our fan base.

So So sad.

How obliviously insecure do you have to be to go onto another team's forum and spew nonsense about obsession and fixation?

What does that say about your worth in this world when you expend that much energy on replying to something you deem 'sad'?

Looks like another Jersey mom let their fat kids use the computer.

Reactions: Mr_GG
Duke's all the way down at #4 on my Hate List. I root for you bags over Carolina every year.

I just wanted to share some happy memories with my fellow UK fans over that s-show K and Fat Capel produced last year. Loved it. Can't wait for the sequel!

:victory:

I get it, ESPN loves Duke and its annoying I know. But that does not mean I can escape logic and facts. Duke had a top notch class last year along with some great players returning. They had some injuries and some other issues...along with a recruit or two being overrated. They did play good basketball at the end of the year, but ran into a SC team that was playing even better than them...it happens they lost. They were over hyped, but not an awful team at that either.
Duke was great in the ACCT, but anyone that says officials don't affect games need to look at what happened in that Duke/South Carolina game. South Carolina won that game because they were allowed to play as physical as I've ever seen in a modern day college basketball game.
Meanwhile, our whole starting 5 was on the bench the last 4 minutes of the first half on the UNC game because they looked at UNC players the wrong way.
Duke was a finess team and they ran into a really tough team that was allowed to play extremely physical.

Reactions: wentzel25 and Mr_GG
Duke is actually below UNC Indiana Kansas and Tennessee for me. I would trade out success since coach cal has been our coach with no one besides Duke

So So sad.

You showed us!

Reactions: Mr_GG
hahahaha, Dukie writes a ****ing essay on UK forum.

HAHAHAHAHAHA that made me laugh. Thanks!

Also the other Dukie fan, also hilarious. Made my day. HAHAHAHAHHAA,

Probably the same dude, must have sad life. I never spent any time on other team's forum, so i don't get that kind of obsessive behavior. However, it's always a good laugh and much appreciated here.

Glad to see this thread getting back to the original topic......Duke horribly underachieved last year. Probably one of the biggest disappointments given pre-season expectations in some time.

It's not like they had duds on their team. Tatum is going to be an NBA all star. I do think Jackson will be a solid NBA guy. Allen was a pre-season all american candidate. Jefferson has played college ball for 18 years and was proven effective. And Kennard ended up a viable POY candidate in college sports. Giles is the only dud-worthy player on the squad (granted, he had massive expectations). They were just incredibly soft and incohesive.

Glad to see this thread getting back to the original topic......Duke horribly underachieved last year. Probably one of the biggest disappointments given pre-season expectations in some time.

It's not like they had duds on their team. Tatum is going to be an NBA all star. I do think Jackson will be a solid NBA guy. Allen was a pre-season all american candidate. Jefferson has played college ball for 18 years and was proven effective. And Kennard ended up a viable POY candidate in college sports. Giles is the only dud-worthy player on the squad (granted, he had massive expectations). They were just incredibly soft and incohesive.
We just ran into a Final 4 South Carolina team IN SOUTH CAROLINA WITH UNC FANS CHEERING THEM ON. It was a complete ambush, Duke had the toughest 2nd round matchup imaginable with UK-Wichita State being a close 2nd and ya"ll barely won that.

Duke was gelling at the right time as shown by how we beat Louisville, UNC and ND in consecutive days.

Sindarius Thornwell was just on a mission that night. Props to him though, great player and the best in the SEC.

Hey Chad, remember this?

tenor.gif

Your 3 lottery picks lost to a Carolina walk on, can't wait to see what happens next year too that can top this!! [roll]
Uh, we lost to the #1 seed in our region. That's right, the team that was SUPPOSED to beat us.

We just ran into a Final 4 South Carolina team IN SOUTH CAROLINA WITH UNC FANS CHEERING THEM ON. It was a complete ambush, Duke had the toughest 2nd round matchup imaginable with UK-Wichita State being a close 2nd and ya"ll barely won that.

Duke was gelling at the right time as shown by how we beat Louisville, UNC and ND in consecutive days.

Sindarius Thornwell was just on a mission that night. Props to him though, great player and the best in the SEC.

Your fairweather fans couldn't make a whole 2 plus hours to support your team? Pretty much makes the point what an awful, front-running fan-base you guys have there. And you're likely not going to find much sympathy for NCAA seeding here given that more often than not, Duke is gifted an easier path in the tourney than any other major program in CBB.

Can anyone imagine us bragging to another fan base that Louisville beat them in the tournament. If that rivalry was the best you wouldn't see posts like that coming from a Duke fan.

We didn't lose to a walk on. We lost to the champions who had a few NBA players themselves

Reactions: GnarlsBarkley
Hey Chad, remember this?

tenor.gif

Your 3 lottery picks lost to a Carolina walk on, can't wait to see what happens next year too that can top this!! [roll]
And your 2 lottery picks, 3 first rounders, team full of McDAAs lost in the second round to a team full of 2/3 stars that we blasted by 21. USC also finished fourth in that "weak" SEC that everyone dogs every year.

Last edited:
Trivia Time:

What major programs have lost in the first weekend as 2 and 3 seeds in the NCAA tourney? Hint: Only on that lost as a 2 didn't lose as a 3 and they, like the rest of the ACC, are cheaters too.

Follow up trivia: What Blue Blood(s) have never lost as a 2 or a 3 seed in the tourney?

Losing in the R32 to a 7 seed isn't a valid excuse for the disappointing end to a season with massive expectations (nearly 2/1 odds).

Greenville SC is 3.5 hours from Durham [laughing]

If you were gelling at the right time, you would have gotten past the second round, no matter which 7/10 seed you drew.

Last edited:
Duke plays the NCAAT in it's back yard every year. The wussy Duke fan complaining about a loss in Greenville to a 7 seed from the SEC?

Put Kentucky in a site 3 hours from Lexington and the BBN will own the place. The ACC was over rated last year and the tournament results prove it. To hell with Duke and Coach K and everyone in the fan base. You can only dream of the fan support, the tradition and the
heritage that is Kentucky basketball. Go spew your excuses to UNC people, they suck almost as much as you do.

I think that devilfan1989 is really just a UNC fan posing as a duke fan, posting on a UK board.

LOL. "toughest 2nd round matchup imaginable". I know SC ended up making it to the final four and clicked at the right time but...

[roll][roll][roll]

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
ADVERTISEMENT