ADVERTISEMENT

Can we talk about what a disaster Duke was last year?

How is it a misrepresentation? It is a fact- one that many would be surprised to hear.

People act like its automatic that Duke's a contender every year. Umm, nope.

You omitted the two titles and the regular season success that puts Duke in the position to compete for a ring. Plus your time span encompasses a stretch that no one really cares about any longer : 2005 - 2009. That's ancient history in college sports. In this decade they're arguably the most successful team in CBB.

Don't get me wrong, I despise Duke more than any other club. If Duke played UL in the finals, I'd get a dirty bird tattoo on my face. The overwhelming majority of their fanbase are fair-weather bandwagoners and rich kids who didn't know a thing about the program until they landed on campus. But each and every other program in CBB would trade their results this decade with that of Duke's.

Don't tell me what I would do. I am happy with Cal and I also realize the best team doesn't always win the last game but winning two titles since 2010 instead of only one would be completely alright with me

Maybe you wouldn't....so I shouldn't have said that...but many others would not doubt.

Quoted for truth. They were stacked at nearly every position save PG with a ton of experience even for a squad taking one and dones. They will ultimately have 7 guys off that squad playing in the pros. One of the most underachieving teams in the last 15 years.

Obviously the slow recovery of Giles played a part, and they had a few injuries to work through, but they stank given the talent on that squad.

Has to sting a bit too that, in they year they were crowned champs before the season started, their bitter in-state rivals embroiled in a scandal spanning decades cut down the nets.

This is quoted for misrepresentation. They also have two titles in that span, with a truck load of regular season success. I'd trade our final four collapses for one more title and fun seasons in this same 12 year stretch.

In case you haven't noticed there's no such thing as a fun season at Kentucky that does not end with a title.

I'm also willing to bet that if we had Duke's last 8 seasons & they had ours we'd be talking about how Coach K has Duke in position to win a title more than Cal. We'd also complain about early exits with talented teams. We'd hold our extra title with pride but would envy Duke's extra final 4's. Such is the nature of UK basketball fans.

Reactions: WildcatDJ
A lot of the hype came because of Harry Giles. Most expected him to be at full strength the entire year. Giles, when healthy, was one of the best prospects I have ever seen.

Now, they did have a lot of injuries and a young roster. K needs some vets to hold the youngins in place...and also fake sick while his assistants get clobbered. It goes to show that Cal can mold a group of young players together rather quickly while legends like K cannot...shows the degree of difficulty of what Cal does year in and year out.

This isn't true. Most did not expect Giles to be at full strength the entire year. He was expected to be rusty at best.

And this is precisely why the hype didn't make sense. Duke only looked like a juggernaut with a healthy, elite Giles. That was always a big question mark.

Since 2000 Duke has been to 4 final 4's. 3 of those ended with titles.

Since 2011 UK has been to 4 final 4's. 1 of those resulted in a title. A shot here, a shot there, a call here & a call there & hmmmm..

Not to mention we where a shot short of a 5th final 4 this year.

What am I missing? Why would a UK fan be jealous of Duke? Past 40 years, OK, envy them. But now?? I'd take where UK program is at now over where Duke is at now in a heartbeat!

Here we have a team that many sportswriters (further proving they're awful but nonetheless) claimed was going to be as good as the '15 UK squad, a team that had at least 7 NBA players, a team that brought back a ton of talent, and they were a mess all season and got dropped in the 2nd round of the tournament, spoling a very favorable draw (as usual).

I just want to make sure people haven't forgotten about this trainwreck. This wasn't UK '13 who lost their best six players and then had to reload with a weak high school class, then losing their best player. Duke even got a surprising All-American effort from Kennard.

Here's to another season of overhyping, drama, trips, selfish basketball, poor chemistry, K's excuses and that beadyeyed puffy shadester Capel playing a big role.

Duke: Despite ridiculous hype and easy draws, three trips past the S16 since 2005.

They were as good as the 15 UK team...both failed big time

And you lost me at favorable draw...playing SC in SC is favorable hahaha

Since 2011 UK has been to 4 final 4's. 1 of those resulted in a title. A shot here, a shot there, a call here & a call there & hmmmm..

What am I missing? Why would a UK fan be jealous of Duke? Past 40 years, OK, envy them. But now?? I'd take where UK program is at now over where Duke is at now in a heartbeat!

Clueless like most

Don't tell me what I would do. I am happy with Cal and I also realize the best team doesn't always win the last game but winning two titles since 2010 instead of only one would be completely alright with me

As I'm sure would anyone else. During the the seasons it's fun following the team, the atmosphere of the post season and the fun in following UK in their quest for a title. In retrospect I'd take Duke's two titles since 2010 against UK's 1 and 3 other Final Fours. Historically speaking, which is what it is, give me titles. Don't care how many Elite 8s or Final Fours come with em.

Just the same as I'm sure in OVERALL history Duke would trade their post seasons for UK's. 8 > 5 and things like that.

And might I add....Duke has only advanced past the Sweet 16, 5 times, since 2000.

And this is interesting...Coach K & Duke advanced past sweet 16, 9 times, from 1985-1999, but only 5 times 2000-2017. SLIPPING...ON THE DECLINE?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/history/_/team1/5847

Since 2010, in 8 seasons Cal/UK have advanced past sweet 16, 6 times. That's every season but 2 (2013, 2016).

You omitted the two titles and the regular season success that puts Duke in the position to compete for a ring. Plus your time span encompasses a stretch that no one really cares about any longer : 2005 - 2009. That's ancient history in college sports. In this decade they're arguably the most successful team in CBB.

Don't get me wrong, I despise Duke more than any other club. If Duke played UL in the finals, I'd get a dirty bird tattoo on my face. The overwhelming majority of their fanbase are fair-weather bandwagoners and rich kids who didn't know a thing about the program until they landed on campus. But each and every other program in CBB would trade their results this decade with that of Duke's.

I didn't omit anything. This is a college basketball board- everyone here knows damn well Duke won those titles. My point was that their failures were lesser known.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
Here we have a team that many sportswriters (further proving they're awful but nonetheless) claimed was going to be as good as the '15 UK squad, a team that had at least 7 NBA players, a team that brought back a ton of talent, and they were a mess all season and got dropped in the 2nd round of the tournament, spoling a very favorable draw (as usual).

I just want to make sure people haven't forgotten about this trainwreck. This wasn't UK '13 who lost their best six players and then had to reload with a weak high school class, then losing their best player. Duke even got a surprising All-American effort from Kennard.

Here's to another season of overhyping, drama, trips, selfish basketball, poor chemistry, K's excuses and that beadyeyed puffy shadester Capel playing a big role.

Duke: Despite ridiculous hype and easy draws, three trips past the S16 since 2005.
If we don't, nobody in the media will, that's for sure. K gets more free passes that the Captain of the football team. 3 1st rounders on his team and they lost double digit games, and didn't make it out of the 1st weekend of the tourney. Had a punk on their team having hissy fits and continued tripping people for 2nd straight season, finally getting suspended for one whole game.
If Cal had a player acting like that and his team underperforming, the articles would still be being written. Hypocrites with agendas.

And you lost me at favorable draw...playing SC in SC is favorable hahaha

giphy.gif

Reactions: kyjeff1
In case you haven't noticed there's no such thing as a fun season at Kentucky that does not end with a title.

Sure, the seasons have been a blast, and we have a title to show for that. Know what's even more fun and memorable? Multiple titles.

Because they won two titles, and were in a good position for deep runs just about every season.

How so? They got upset big time and/or blown out quite a few times. With few exceptions, if you don't make it past the S16, you are not a contender.

On paper they were arguably as good as the 15 UK team. On the court they were no where near as good as 15 UK team.

38-1 with a final four is a decent result. 2nd round loss and multiple surprise losses are not.

Mime's proving the perception benefit Duke gets. Without the extra title, they're Kansas over the last 13 years.

I agree, they would be close to Kansas without that extra title. A top 4 team during that stretch along with UK, KU, and UConn. But that extra title is a right nice feather in their cap. Where would we be without 2012?

Does the '13 season bother you? It doesn't me. I have a sneaking suspicion that the turd Duke fans don't mind losses to Lehigh and Mercer since they're bookended by titles.

Like I said, I loathe Duke. I'll be one of the first people to celebrate their inevitable regression to mediocrity after K is swallowed by a hell mouth. But their success over the last 8 seasons is arguably unparalleled.

Last edited:
How so? They got upset big time and/or blown out quite a few times. With few exceptions, if you don't make it past the S16, you are not a contender.

Receiving a top 1 - 3 seed going into the tournament qualifies you as a contender, both in my book and in Vegas'. I feel cautiously optimistic with UK's chances if they're sitting in that position going into that first weekend of March Madness.

I'm not trying to discredit UK's success during this same period. We're right up there with Duke, and it's been an amazing ride. It's apparent that some of our fans wouldn't trade our deep but title-less runs for an extra title. That's fair. But, multiple titles seem to overshadow periodic post season stumbles.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Like I said, I loathe Duke. I'll be one of the first people to celebrate their inevitable regression to mediocrity after K is swallowed by a hell mouth. But their success over the last 8 seasons is arguably unparalleled.

UCONN might argue with you.

They were as good as the team who won their first 38 games? :joy:

Both duke last year and UK in 15 failed...neither won a title...that's the ultimate goal...congrats on the FF in 15...we will take out 15 title over 38-uh ONE LOL

I did my job I pissed y'all off...good day kitties

Both duke last year and UK in 15 failed...neither won a title...that's the ultimate goal...congrats on the FF in 15...we will take out 15 title over 38-uh ONE LOL

If your job was making a fool of yourself then yeah, ya did it. Mad props.

Reactions: WildMoon

You don't cheer for Duke in football or any other sport, you're not a Duke alum, you're a bandwagon fan and have zero right to say we. No way a bandwagon fan can piss me off, I just laugh when I see a dbag bandwagon fan trying to troll.

Reactions: Cawood86
I agree, they would be close to Kansas without that extra title. A top 4 team during that stretch along with UK, KU, and UConn. But that extra title is a right nice feather in their cap. Where would we be without 2012?

Does the '13 season bother you? It doesn't me. I have a sneaking suspicion that the turd Duke fans don't mind losses to Lehigh and Mercer since they're bookended by titles.

No- as a one-time outlier caused by an injury to our best player- it doesn't bother me.

Multiple early chokes and blowout losses in the tournament would bother the piss out of me.

I'm not a title or bust guy. I am an NCAA Tournament performance guy. Look at all the big wins we have. We've been a contender as in "a break here or there we win it all" 6 of 8 years. That's remarkable.

I wouldn't trade our 8 years for Duke's- no.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz

and you're still the ballsack's taint. Best of luck staying washed down there......

No- as a one-time outlier caused by an injury to our best player- it doesn't bother me.

Multiple early chokes and blowout losses in the tournament would bother the piss out of me.

I'm not a title or bust guy. I am an NCAA Tournament performance guy. Look at all the big wins we have. We've been a contender as in "a break here or there we win it all" 6 of 8 years. That's remarkable.

I wouldn't trade our 8 years for Duke's- no.

Good for you then

I really don't understand the phenomena but it holds true every time:
I have never seen a Duke fan that wasn't a pussy.

What you did is prove that being ignorant is a full time job for you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT