ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone explain this to me?

Boyd94

Junior
Feb 16, 2022
I was watching the Browns and Jaguars game. Cleveland kicked off and on the return they forced a fumble and recovered it. The official threw a flag and said the player was past the 50 yard line before the returner caught the kickoff. Is this a new rule? If so, why? Thanks.

Yes, the NFL has this weird new kickoff where the kicker stands alone at his 35 and the rest of his teammates on the kick coverage team start on the opponents 40. The 10 coverage players cannot move until the ball is caught or bounces. It’s supposed to reduce injuries and increase the number of returns.

Reactions: Boyd94
Yes, the NFL has this weird new kickoff where the kicker stands alone at his 35 and the rest of his teammates on the kick coverage team start on the opponents 40. The 10 coverage players cannot move until the ball is caught or bounces. It’s supposed to reduce injuries and increase the number of returns.
Thanks. I was like what is going on. Cleveland had great field position after the fumble. I guess it would be considered a false start?

I enjoy the new system they have set up with one exception. Move the damn kicker back 5 yards to encourage more returns. If the reason you made the rule was to minimize injury from guys flying down the field, at least give the ability for more returns.

Reactions: HerrosHeroes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT