ADVERTISEMENT

Can Sestina shoot or what

Check again genius. They played UNC in 2017, not last year. Duh.... He averaged 6.5 pts per game that year and scored 7 against the Holes. Not quite 18. Again...try Google and don’t embarrass yourself.

Dykes nor the OP said he did it all last year. Dykes said Nate averaged that against higher level division one schools. He never said last year. I assumed he meant over his career. Dykes mentioned UNCC, Arky, Maryland and a couple other recognizable teams.not just last year.

You have a hard time comprehending season timelines. Most dumb people do. They did in fact play North Carolina his Junior Year which could be considered LAST year since he hasn’t started THIS year yet. Try to keep up dummy.

37639-F4-C-5-C59-40-D7-94-ED-2878-F71-ACA0-E.jpg

The irony in this [roll]

No matter what he avg in the past I saw a high character kid with a great work ethic. He clearly can shoot. If he has solid defense he will be difficult to keep off the floor. End of day he was a huge a pick up for Kentucky and I’m happy as hell hes here. He’s got better coaches better talent he’s practicing with better facilities. I expect him to have a very solid year

or Hagans or Quick or Maxey or Brooks or Whitney or Sestina or Ej . We literally have 8 starters . Richards and Allen are the only 2 I wouldn't consider starter quality and both could become that.
EJ was hitting those 18' jumpers also. I think I counted like 6 in a row at one point. Not quite on the line but just in front of it.

Check again genius. They played UNC in 2017, not last year. Duh.... He averaged 6.5 pts per game that year and scored 7 against the Holes. Not quite 18. Again...try Google and don’t embarrass yourself.
Dude you’re the one embarrassing yourself by nitpicking something Jimmy Dykes said. What’s the difference if it were last year or not? The point is Sestina played against high level D-1 competition and acquitted himself well. Now is that too difficult for you to understand Inspector Gadget?

or Hagans or Quick or Maxey or Brooks or Whitney or Sestina or Ej . We literally have 8 starters . Richards and Allen are the only 2 I wouldn't consider starter quality and both could become that.
Cal said we were playing 5 against 8 most of the time,this will show 'em and even things up a bit:D

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Dude you’re the one embarrassing yourself by nitpicking something Jimmy Dykes said. What’s the difference if it were last year or not? The point is Sestina played against high level D-1 competition and acquitted himself well. Now is that too difficult for you to understand Inspector Gadget?

Except not really.

The 2 best teams he faced last year were Ohio State and St. Mary's, and he struggled in both games.

Now, he very well might offer a skill-set that's incredibly useful to the team, and be a key role player for UK. But the implication that he's a proven talent is just not right. He's not an All-Conference player coming out of a Power 5 conference school, ala Reid Travis.

I don’t pay much attention to how many shots go in as much as I do the shooting form. Tyler Herro couldn’t make a shot at pro day but his mechanics were as close to flawless as one could get. Sestina has great mechanics on his shot. Juzang does as well. It surprises me when those kind of releases don’t go in.

I don’t pay much attention to how many shots go in as much as I do the shooting form. Tyler Herro couldn’t make a shot at pro day but his mechanics were as close to flawless as one could get. Sestina has great mechanics on his shot. Juzang does as well. It surprises me when those kind of releases don’t go in.
That's part of the reason pro scouts pay a lot of attention to FT%. The fundamental mechanics of a jump shot are usually there at the FT line, with much fewer variables than a player's 3 pt %.

I guarantee you that if Herro had only hit 80% from the FT line instead of over 90%, he wouldn't have gone as high in the draft. That 90% indicated to scouts that his stroke was pure, and whatever caused some (relative) struggles from 3 pt range is easily fixable.

Sestina was over 80% from the FT line, and 38% from 3 last year. His mechanics are clearly solid. The question is if it translates to a faster game than what he experienced in the Patriot League. Because that's the real difference in levels in D1- everything in the top conferences happens at a faster pace, because the level of athlete is the elite of the elite.

OTOH, Sestina might actually get more open looks because his teammates are so much better. I wouldn't complain if he ended up like Kyle Wiltjer in 11-12 (with better defense and rebounding), a guy who can come in and drill 3's at over 40%.

Sestina averaged 18 points last year playing against high level D-1 teams like North Carolina. ...Just saying
Except not really.

The 2 best teams he faced last year were Ohio State and St. Mary's, and he struggled in both games.

Now, he very well might offer a skill-set that's incredibly useful to the team, and be a key role player for UK. But the implication that he's a proven talent is just not right. He's not an All-Conference player coming out of a Power 5 conference school, ala Reid Travis.
Please don’t let facts get in the way of a good “Boonesboro yarn”.

Reactions: kl40504
LOL. Year after year Kentucky fans swallow whole the stats of kids against high school competition.

Now we’re going to nit-pick what Nate Sestina did, or didn’t do, against UNC-Cheats or Ohio State a year or two ago?

Here’s the key: He wasn’t playing with all America talent, and he wasn’t being used the way Cal will use him. What we saw last night is more significant than what he did in a game in December 2017.

Except not really.

Well it will be different with him being the 4th option cause at bucknell he was the number one option they keyed on him every game !

LOL. Year after year Kentucky fans swallow whole the stats of kids against high school competition.

Now we’re going to nit-pick what Nate Sestina did, or didn’t do, against UNC-Cheats or Ohio State a year or two ago?

Here’s the key: He wasn’t playing with all America talent, and he wasn’t being used the way Cal will use him. What we saw last night is more significant than what he did in a game in December 2017.

Nailed it.

Sestina will likely be a 5th or 6th option on this team, and that's a conservative estimate that doesn't really factor in guys like Nick or Juzang exceeding expectations.

I'm not sure many of our fans expect much more than that from him. That said, having guys like Sestina and IQ coming off the bench is a luxury most contending teams won't have this year.

True^^^^^^^^I believe he will help our interior game + any outside shooting will be an "add-on"..

Sestina will likely be a 5th or 6th option on this team, and that's a conservative estimate that doesn't really factor in guys like Nick or Juzang exceeding expectations.

I'm not sure many of our fans expect much more than that from him. That said, having guys like Sestina and IQ coming off the bench is a luxury most contending teams won't have this year.
Sestina will likely be in the game late. His free throw percentage is 80 percent and will be a definite plus at the end of games.

Juzangs release is beautiful. Lightning quick. I know people hate player comparisons, but his size, body movement, and quick release reminds me of Klay Thompson...be nice if he plays like him! Its gonna be a fun team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT