ADVERTISEMENT

Can Kentucky afford to fire Cal?

Nah. Not doing this today.

Basketball season helps my anxiety a lot. Vice’s me stuff to listen to on my drive home. Gives me something to watch when I get home and distracts me from my work. It’s a hobby I’ve enjoyed for many years of life. What’s your hobby? What if I found a way to make it suck for you? That’s where this is right now. Sure luckily o have other hobbies. But basketball is special because it’s short and it can only be enjoyed once a year.

So yeah it’s part of real life. Just like any other activity under the sun we humans distract ourselves with to fill up time and giving meaning to this sometimes joyful, but sometimes horrific thing we call existence. Life is hard. That’s true for everybody. But when one of your favorite pastimes sucks. It’s even harder.
well if you need something to distract you from work, then you need an improvement there.

We have to make the program a living hell before they will pull the plug. I would honestly love to see Mitch fired before Cal. STARVE THEM OUT. In a way, I'm glad that this loss now has unified as against the problem. We have to work together. Stop sending them money, email the university, call into shows, etc. We have to do their job for them because this school administration is laughably incompetent. They need to see the buyout as a blessing to stop the bleeding. After last night, even the most staunch U of Cal supporter will see that this cannot be repaired.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Can Kentucky afford to not fire call? It's going to cost a lot more in the long run if he is allowed to continue running the program into the ground for another 4 or 5 years. There will be nothing left at that point and revenue as well as general fan interest will have tanked. It isn't worth taking that chance.

Reactions: Fox2monk
The buyout provisions in the contract currently call for monthly installments, not a single lump sum. There is also offset language in the contract if he takes another deal but admittedly it’s vague as it refers to “minimum guaranteed salary” at his next job. I’m uncertain if that would be the equivalent of the 400k salary we pay him or whether it would be inclusive of the endorsement/media portion that makes up the vast majority of his 9M.

My personal equitable solution that I could see happening: a negotiated settlement of the next 2 years of full pay with no offset language in 1 or 2 installments paid all in the next 12 months.

That would be 17.5M. Why would Cal take this? He gets 17.5M now instead of approximately 550k a month the next 5 years. He also could get another big deal elsewhere and not worry about any offsets. UK would also be saving money in the long run obviously by paying it upfront.

well if you need something to distract you from work, then you need an improvement there.
You are special.

Everyone needs breaks and distractions from work. It's called DECOMPRESSION.
That's why people have hobbies and activities they enjoy. Because even if you have mesangium jobs, people still like to have a life outside of that work.

I don't think about work 24/7. If you do, maybe you're the one that needs an improvement.

30 plus million buyout. Where does that money come from and how do we come up with the dough to pay another coach.
Can’t afford not to. Football money from sec can be part of it. Paid over years not a lump sum. Loss of donation revenue, tickets, food etc will be big if Cal is back next year. This has to be done asap.

Yes, Kentucky CAN afford the buyout. They have been able to for a while. This I know as fact. It just hasn't been important enough to the right people. With all of this outrage, maybe they will start to listen. Before, it was mainly just basketball fans. But the negative scrutiny has now gone national.

Reactions: KFuqua
Matt Jones just made a good point. Those people that can assist with his buyout have been alienated by calipari. Who would want to give their money to someone they do not like?
That is exactly why they would assist. They want him gone. Jones is a moron. What kind of thinking is that?

Reactions: KFuqua
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT