ADVERTISEMENT

Cal's true genius is...

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
Citi+Hoops+Classic+Kentucky+v+Monmouth+0zAFSwosWqQx.jpg

Calipari's true genius is identifying talent. Say what you will about the man, but he gets it "right" more than anyone else (Kobe Bryant and the 1996 draft notwithstanding). It's one thing to recruit a John Wall or an Anthony Davis. Everyone and their grandma knows those guys are going to be generational-level prospects. But it's in those places between the cracks that Calipari is unlike any coach in the modern era. He has a knack for identifying players who have long term potential, and if he was not coaching, I feel he would have excelled as a general manager.

Cal's recruiting downswing from 2015-2022 regarding RSCI top 5 guys did not really put him at a disadvantage with Duke as far as long-term prospects are concerned. Yes, Duke landed the "big fish" guys like Jayson Tatum, Wendell Carter, Marvin Bagley, Brandon Ingram, and Jahlil Okafor during that span, but Calipari might have come out on top, even during that span, when it came to recruiting and landing guys who had better long-term NBA potential.

Take a look at some of these guys who Calipari recruited who were not RSCI top 5 guys.

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander #30 RSCI - max player, future NBA All-Star
Nick Richards #18 RSCI
Immanuel Quickley #23 RSCI
Tyrese Maxey #10 RSCI - future max player, future NBA All-Star
Tyler Herro #35 RSCI - semi-max player
Keldon Johnson #12 RSCI - semi-max player
Isaiah Jackson #26 RSCI
Jarred Vanderbilt #13 RSCI
Jamal Murray no RSCI due to reclassification - semi-max player, future NBA All-Star
De'Aaron Fox #6 RSCI - Max player, future NBA All-Star
Bam Adebayo #8 RSCI - NBA All Star
Malik Monk #9 RSCI
PJ Washington #14 RSCI
Devin Booker #23 RSCI - NBA All Star
Tyler Ulis #18 RSCI
Trey Lyles #12 RSCI
Oscar Tshiebwe #28 RSCI - NPOY

Why did Cal start Quade Green over SGA? That’s always been interesting to me. What it tells me is that Cal actually didn’t watch and evaluate Quade. Just took him because of his recruiting ranking (5-star and number 5 overall PG in his class). And it appears he also started him based on his ranking.

Anyone could tell you that once SGA was inserted into the lineup that he was clearly and unequivocally better than Quade. You telling me Quade beat him out early in the season? No. Cal took Quade based on his recruiting ranking, and Cal thought Quade was better than SGA because of it too. Cal underestimated SGA because of his ranking, and it’s been proven.

Devin Askew ring a bell? Why did Cal take him? Recruiting ranking. Kid wasn’t good. The kid wasn’t a fit. It was plain to see and now he’s at his 3rd school. How’d he ever start for Kentucky? Ranking.

@Gromcat you know who it is

Why did Cal start Quade Green over SGA? That’s always been interesting to me. What it tells me is that Cal actually didn’t watch and evaluate Quade. Just took him because of his recruiting ranking (5-star and number 5 overall PG in his class). And it appears he also started him based on his ranking.

Anyone could tell you that once SGA was inserted into the lineup that he was clearly and unequivocally better than Quade. You telling me Quade beat him out early in the season? No. Cal took Quade based on his recruiting ranking, and Cal thought Quade was better than SGA because of it too. Cal underestimated SGA because of his ranking, and it’s been proven.

Devin Askew ring a bell? Why did Cal take him? Recruiting ranking. Kid wasn’t good. The kid wasn’t a fit. It was plain to see and now he’s at his 3rd school. How’d he ever start for Kentucky? Ranking.

By the end of the season, SGA was the starting point guard.

Cal took Askew because there was no one else left. That's why he wanted Quickley to return for his junior year. Same reason he wanted Teague to return in 2013 when he saw what was waiting with Harrow.

He's not batting 1.000, but he's leading the country in "on-base-percentage" when it comes to identifying talent.

By the way, you sure do know a lot about this message board for this being your first account! 🤣

By the end of the season, SGA was the starting point guard.

Cal took Askew because there was no one else left. That's why he wanted Quickley to return for his junior year. Same reason he wanted Teague to return in 2013 when he saw what was waiting with Harrow.

He's not batting 1.000, but he's leading the country in "on-base-percentage" when it comes to identifying talent.

By the way, you sure do know a lot about this message board for this being your first account! 🤣

I respect your post, but that’s my point. SGA is a STAR. Why did it take all season for him to start at UK? You telling me Quade was better than him at UK? I’m sorry, I’m not buying that. It’s just my opinion but I think Quade’s star-ranking got him the nod. SGA was better in high school and better in college, he just didn’t get the ranking. Cal “thought” Quade was better so he started him. What in the world did Cal see that made him think Quade was better?

Calipari's true genius is identifying talent. Say what you will about the man, but he gets it "right" more than anyone else (Kobe Bryant and the 1996 draft notwithstanding). It's one thing to recruit a John Wall or an Anthony Davis. Everyone and their grandma knows those guys are going to be generational-level prospects. But it's in those places between the cracks that Calipari is unlike any coach in the modern era. He has a knack for identifying players who have long term potential, and if he was not coaching, I feel he would have excelled as a general manager.

Cal's recruiting downswing from 2015-2022 regarding RSCI top 5 guys did not really put him at a disadvantage with Duke as far as long-term prospects are concerned. Yes, Duke landed the "big fish" guys like Jayson Tatum, Wendell Carter, Marvin Bagley, Brandon Ingram, and Jahlil Okafor during that span, but Calipari might have come out on top, even during that span, when it came to recruiting and landing guys who had better long-term NBA potential.

Take a look at some of these guys who Calipari recruited who were not RSCI top 5 guys.

Nick Richards #18 RSCI
Isaiah Jackson #26 RSCI
Jamal Murray no RSCI due to reclassification - semi-max player, future NBA All-Star
Malik Monk #9 RSCI
PJ Washington #14 RSCI
Tyler Ulis #18 RSCI
Trey Lyles #12 RSCI
I think Adou will be another on of those players.

I respect your post, but that’s my point. SGA is a STAR. Why did it take all season for him to start at UK? You telling me Quade was better than him at UK? I’m sorry, I’m not buying that. It’s just my opinion but I think Quade’s star-ranking got him the nod. SGA was better in high school and better in college, he just didn’t get the ranking. Cal “thought” Quade was better so he started him. What in the world did Cal see that made him think Quade was better?
Because SGA was not a star until Cal developed him. Is that hard to understand?

Reactions: reggis1 and gojvc

I actually was throwing a fit when Quade was playing over SGA. I got banned on here for a period of time on here over it.

Nick Richards #18 RSCI
Isaiah Jackson #26 RSCI
Malik Monk #9 RSCI
PJ Washington #14 RSCI
Tyler Ulis #18 RSCI
Trey Lyles #12 RSCI
To be fair, he wanted to take Kobe. However, Kobe pulled the okie doke and said he wouldn’t play for Jersey if they drafted him.

Cade Cunningham told the staff he was coming here. His brother got hired and Cade followed him. All the top guys were signed Askew was a take because Cade screwed us. You should know this if you follow basketball.

Reactions: Zissou87
Assistant coaches have a big impact on evaluating and developing that talent. Not all credit goes to Cal.

This is how I remember it or I’ve always thought to be the case. Calipari cannot be blamed for not drafting Bryant.

Eh, Calipari isn’t that great of a talent scout imo. He might be better than I realize but he definitely doesn’t utilize it. Pitino was the best at finding talent wherever it’s ranked.
I hear you but Cal has a way of preparing guys for the league, whether it be 1 year or 4, better than anyone.

What happened to all of the other point guards that Cal should have recruited instead of Askew that weren't ranked as high?

Also, he was never recruited to be the starting point guard right out of the gate. He was recruited to be a multi-year player. If Clarke wasn't injured, you would have seen a lot less Devin.

Regardless, Cal got rid of the guy that recruited him.

All I see in that photo are checkerboards. My god what a clown show those uniforms are.

I still can’t believe Calipari allowed his program to be branded for what? 7 years with that trash.

I firmly believe that any player who was 50/50 on UK and just had to make a choice using some kind of less important determining factor, wearing those uniforms probably pushed them away.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Who cares? You’re not there at practice anyways. Cal always said Shai was behind early on. But had all the potential. He eventually started

One can only assume that the reason Quade started over SGA to start the season was because he beat him out in practice. I’m just not buying that. I think Quade got the nod because he was a 5-star. And how would it look to other 5-stars if you go to Kentucky, you might not start? Again, just my opinion. And I’m also not buying that SGA wasn’t as good as Quade and then just made this massive jump. He was better than Quade the day they stepped on campus. Where is Quade now btw?

Nick Richards #18 RSCI
Isaiah Jackson #26 RSCI
Malik Monk #9 RSCI
PJ Washington #14 RSCI
Tyler Ulis #18 RSCI
Trey Lyles #12 RSCI
Ulis was an AA and SEC POY as well right? I can’t remember exactly but he may have won Defensive POY as well.

One can only assume that the reason Quade started over SGA to start the season was because he beat him out in practice. I’m just not buying that. I think Quade got the nod because he was a 5-star. And how would it look to other 5-stars if you go to Kentucky, you might not start? Again, just my opinion. And I’m also not buying that SGA wasn’t as good as Quade and then just made this massive jump. He was better than Quade the day they stepped on campus. Where is Quade now btw?

G League.

Ulis was an AA and SEC POY as well right? I can’t remember exactly but he may have won Defensive POY as well.
Washington is gonna get PAID at the pace he’s on, Murray will get max if he proves healthy again, Richards is making a case for a bigger payday the next year or two. Bam will be a max player too. I hope Myles Turner gets traded so Jackson can really get some time. His minutes are up this year but at only 17 a game Indiana should be more interested in developing him since they are basically in total rebuilding mode.

SGA actually started game 1. Played 36 minutes. Quade played 21.

Even when Quade started, I believe SGA usually played more minutes.

Reactions: HagginHall1999

Quade was pretty good at beginning of that year tbh.

Through Louisville game that year:

Quade- 10.4ppg, 3.7a/2to, 2rb, 51%FG, 43%3FG, 24mpg

Shai- 10.8ppg, 4.2a/2.3to, 3.5rb, 52%FG, 41%3FG, 28mpg

Shai played more anyway but Quade was no slouch

Reactions: Zissou87

You underestimate Cal. Some guys just don’t develop and refuse to put in the work to improve. I think that’s what happened with both Quade and Devin. SGA improved, that’s why he started playing more. Askew did not improve, and saw the writing on the wall. That’s why he left.

Reactions: kl40504
Eh, Calipari isn’t that great of a talent scout imo. He might be better than I realize but he definitely doesn’t utilize it. Pitino was the best at finding talent wherever it’s ranked.
And Cal beat Pitino over 80% of the time while Cal has been at UK. If you think Pitino was best at finding talent then Cal was best at using his talent. I will take the latter. However I disagree that Pitino was better at finding talent since Cal's recruiting classes were always rated much higher than Pitino classes.

Nick Richards #18 RSCI
Isaiah Jackson #26 RSCI
Malik Monk #9 RSCI
PJ Washington #14 RSCI
Tyler Ulis #18 RSCI
Trey Lyles #12 RSCI
Cal's true genius is the fact that he's made $27,000,000.00 over the last 3 years without winning a single NCAA tournament game.

Nick Richards #18 RSCI
Isaiah Jackson #26 RSCI
Malik Monk #9 RSCI
PJ Washington #14 RSCI
Tyler Ulis #18 RSCI
Trey Lyles #12 RSCI
Then why has he only hung one banner in Rupp in 12 years? Oh yeah, he has not beaten many ranked teams in the past 7 years either. I guess $10 million/years only buys JV wins.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT