ADVERTISEMENT

Cal's rotations (7,8,9 man)

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
We see lots of talk, player X will/won't be in Cal's 7/8 man rotation. Thought it would be interesting to see how much guys do play. So below is summarized the average # of minutes/gm, across his 14 seasons at UK the 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th man gets. This is by minutes, not considering who starts or not. And I threw out anyone who played in less than 1/2 the games due to injury or transfer (Poythress, Vanderbilt, Clarke).

Mean is the average across the 14 teams Xth man
Median means 1/2 the teams had a guy average more than that, and half the teams had a guy average less than that
Range means the lowest total, and the highest total, so for example the 10th man should not expect to play more than 6.8mpg

(all the numbers are MPG)
6th man - Mean=21.3, median=21.1, range 13.3-28.4
7th man - Mean=16.1, median=15.6, range 7.7-23.6
8th man - Mean=10.2, median=11.0, range 4.2-16.3
9th man - Mean=6.8, median=7.0, range 1.2-12.3
10th man - Mean=2.9, median=2.6, range 0.1-6.8

Thanks for sharing that info, OP. Good stuff.

I feel like by the time March rolls around, Cal always has his rotation basically down to seven. It would be interesting to see how your info changes come March. Not asking you to do more work, of course!!!!

Reactions: chroix
Thanks for sharing that info, OP. Good stuff.

I feel like by the time March rolls around, Cal always has his rotation basically down to seven. It would be interesting to see how your info changes come March. Not asking you to do more work, of course!!!!

It would be interesting to see how the minute distribution narrows over time.

Reactions: Montana81
On average, if not in the top 5, every spot you drop costs you about 5 mpg.

So I see Dillingham, Wagner, Edwards, Bradshaw, and a 5 man (Dickinson, Tshiebwe, or someone else) being the starters.

Reeves (or a transfer replacement) being the sixth man. He will probably get closer to the high side of the range (25+mpg).

I’m guessing Onyenso will be the seventh man.

And unless we grab another 4 man from the portal, Ware is probably the eighth man.

Sheppard as the ninth man and Thiero as the tenth.

Reactions: BlueBomb
Using Tshiebwe as the 5 and Reeves as sixth man, this is my projected rotation, with estimated minutes:

G Dillingham(28)/Wagner(12)
G Wagner(14)/Reeves(19)Sheppard(7)
G Edwards(28)/Reeves(9)/Thiero(3)
F Bradshaw(28)/Ware(12)
F Tshiebwe(28)/Onyenso(12)

Something like that.

I think Reeves would definitely get starter minutes as sixth man. Might be less for the sixth man if it’s a different guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT