ADVERTISEMENT

UK Offense Data

maroon79

Junior
Gold Member
Oct 24, 2021
Sacks 11. Much lower than in 2022 and 2nd to UGA who has 6. So Car and ARK have 31. Bama leads w 35 (yeah you read it right)

Pass yd/g. UK tied for 12 w Ark at 197.
6 yds behind State and about 60 or so under the mid pack range

LSU leads at 349/game, UGA at 337, 3 teams right at 300/game.

INTs UK in at 7, with ARKy., Vandy 9, LSU and gators at 3 for least

Rec/TDs UK-14, tied for 7 w UGA of all people. LSU has 26, Vandy 19. Aub has 7, State, UF and UT 12 while Bama and So Car come in at 13. ATM, ARK and Lanie all have 15

Rushing 8th.
1,086 yds.

5.81 yds/rush. 1st in SEC

Longest 75 yds. Tied for 3rd w SC. UT at 81 and ATM at 79 lead 1 and 2

Yds/g. UK is 6th at 155. Bottom 2 are Vandy at 83 and So Car at 94. LSU and UT are best at ~215/game

Total Rush TDs 9th in SEC at 11 which is 1 behind the gators. Bama and the Vols each have 13

LSU leads at 22 and UGA has 19. So Car has 10 rushing, ATM 9, Vandy 8 and AK 6

Record 5-2

Last edited:
Rushing 8th.
1,086 yds.

5.81 yds/rush. 1st in SEC
Total rushing yards would be much higher if we stuck to our strength. I know we can’t be one dimensional but we should keep running it down someone’s throat while it’s working, let them stack the box which helps our passing game. We throw the ball a lot when we’re trailing which is understandable but not when we’re down a score like the Mizzou game; that game in particular I wonder if our passing game suffered because we got cute leaning on Leary and abandoned the run. I think we’re 6-1 if we let Ray carry the rock.

Total rushing yards would be much higher if we stuck to our strength. I know we can’t be one dimensional but we should keep running it down someone’s throat while it’s working, let them stack the box which helps our passing game. We throw the ball a lot when we’re trailing which is understandable but not when we’re down a score like the Mizzou game; that game in particular I wonder if our passing game suffered because we got cute leaning on Leary and abandoned the run. I think we’re 6-1 if we let Ray carry the rock.
I think the teams ahead of in rushing.....are that due to running their QB as part of the run game (LSU and Tennessee, etc..). But pure RB rushes....Ray Davis is way ahead of the pack.

I wish UK would take more short passes to see if it get Leary going and helps the pass game vs. deep shots that end in incompletions to date.

I am optimistic that Coen is still teaching to this offense and our better games are ahead of us.

The run to set up the pass is a great point. Often times, we call play action into 2/3 deep. I mentioned this is another thread a while back. Instead of teams trying to stop our run, they give it to us knowing we don't have the patience to stick with it and they're right. It's all because of the touch sheet.

What we should absolutely do is get rid of the damned touch chart. Run the ball until they have to get numbers in the box. THEN go play action against favorable numbers. If they refuse to walk up that safety, then we can still get mid range touches with sticks, overs, and zone beaters. Instead we constantly go for shots that put us behind schedule because we don't take our shots to the right wr.

Our offense would be much better. Touches would be up for everyone. Wrs would have way better opportunities to make the big plays we keep trying to force to them.

The run to set up the pass is a great point. Often times, we call play action into 2/3 deep. I mentioned this is another thread a while back. Instead of teams trying to stop our run, they give it to us knowing we don't have the patience to stick with it and they're right. It's all because of the touch sheet.

What we should absolutely do is get rid of the damned touch chart. Run the ball until they have to get numbers in the box. THEN go play action against favorable numbers. If they refuse to walk up that safety, then we can still get mid range touches with sticks, overs, and zone beaters. Instead we constantly go for shots that put us behind schedule because we don't take our shots to the right wr.

Our offense would be much better. Touches would be up for everyone. Wrs would have way better opportunities to make the big plays we keep trying to force to them.
Very good post... and if i could add..... how about we add just ONE misdirection play when the defense is bringing the house?.... is that asking too much?.... maybe we run one and i don't recognize it because we screw it up every time?

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Very good post... and if i could add..... how about we add just ONE misdirection play when the defense is bringing the house?.... is that asking too much?.... maybe we run one and i don't recognize it because we screw it up every time?

Thanks. I think it's the latter. Right out of the half vs Mizzou we ran a reverse/wr give and fumbled

Reactions: CatPatrick13
Ray has a freakish TD per touch average: a TD for every 9.69 touches, receiving and rushing. The only back I have found that was comparable was Barry Sanders in 1988, his Heisman year.

Feed Davis.

Want to throw the ball?

Throw to Davis.
Should be obvious to everyone that getting the ball to Davis in space is a good thing for UK.

At this point in the season, I have zero interest in seeing CMS or LC sacrifice our team goals for the sake of coddling the egos of players who have shi* the bed so far.

If we lose those players due to their fragile egos to the portal, why would any UK fan care?

Let them leave...or, based upon knowing that if they don't perform they won't get the ball, let them come back with a determination to get better, faster, stronger...

Last edited:
I say we pas to set up the run . We are not good enough to line up and smash them for 4 quarters ( Please let me be wrong). I hope Ray runs for 5 TDS and 250 yards

Yeah, there’s a reason you have to run the ball for play action to work. I’ve seen us run play action so many times while a safety is sitting back on his heels in cover 2 and that’s a head scratcher, you absolutely have to make him bite and that’s not working a lot of the time. I’m not a coach, have tons of respect for Coen and all those guys, but if you’re going to abandon the run in a game then abandon play action altogether. Don’t waste that precious 0.5-1 sec you have dropping back in p/a; run some hot routes or slants, anything to move the ball. Also, like you, I really believe we promised Brown a bunch of touches to keep him out of the portal but the problem is he can’t catch the ball, we waste a play when we try to hit him deep because Leary just ain’t hitting that pass. Glad we have Coen but he needs to stick with what’s working instead of trying to be the smartest guy in the stadium, killed me Shannon Dawson did that crap and would respond “everyone would have loved that play if it worked”. Can’t keep running something that everyone knows isn’t working and keep expecting different results.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Probably would be much better if we ran more than 50 plays a game ....Mark Stoops wet dream is the new clock rules. Offense was painful sometimes with the ground and pound trying to run clock now we move too slow. I can understand the whole running the hell out of the clock up a few scores in the 4th. I do not see running clock down 2 scores as a viable strategy no matter how many times we try it.

I say we pas to set up the run . We are not good enough to line up and smash them for 4 quarters ( Please let me be wrong). I hope Ray runs for 5 TDS and 250 yards

You only do that if you have the numbers, which is if the safety is walked down.

Smart offense is more or less s numbers game. At it's most basic, if a safety is down you have numbers favoring the pass game. If they're high, it favors the run game. There is zero doubt in my mind coen, a legit offensive genius, knows this.

Yet time and again we take shots (always to brown) vs two high. 1) Not to take away from Ray's incredible season, but teams are literally giving us the run because they know we're chasing wr touches. 2) we're giving the wrong wr touches to the wrong guy in the wrong situation.

Run the ball till they bring up the safeties. If they don't, get touches with overs and sticks or the seam if it's 2 high. Take your perimeter shots only if it's single high and those shots go to Dane or Cummings. Literally noone else showed any fight for a 50/50 ball. Brown should get catch and run stuff, especially crossers if it's man.

We know for a fact this offensive staff knows how to use guys. We saw it before. They didn't force 50/50 balls to wandale and wisely so. Whatever promises they made to brown need to be broken and we need to play winning football. Brown is an explosive guy, but well short of anyone you sacrifice an entire season to please

^^ cant say I agree , but thats ok
Same. Just running more plays that result in not enough yardage just means you punt faster. We would be better if we ran more than 50 plays a game...because that means we'd have more first downs and total yardage so probably more points too.

What the people want, and don't know to ask for, is better offensive efficiency NOT more tempo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT