ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari: 'This team is as hungry as any team I've coached'

I have a theory on what Cal has missed- and it took the Capel and Vanderbilt issues for him to act on it. Cal has recruited outstanding young men at UK. Great players- even better people. But he has missed the 2010 team makeup. Wall, Cousins and Bledsoe were good kids, don’t get me wrong, but they were different than say for example Monk. Wall and crew had an edge and chip on their shoulders who were itching for the other team to start something, anything. Because they relished getting in faces and played better when it happened. Cal has never admitted it but those are the type of teams he wants. And there is at least four on this team I can think of that have “it”. And Cal didn’t add them just because of their basketball abilities.
Agree with this 100 %.Some of Cal's teams thought they were good because people told them they were and they were looking to get as free a ride to the NBA as they could.

Wall,Cousins and company knew they were good but expected to work at getting better and didn't mind doing it. They wanted whoever they played to know they were better by the time the game was over.

I think Cal is doing what I learned in Psychology 101 is called 'projecting,' - seeing in others what he's feeling. I get the idea that HE'S more hungry than ever -- and the players are picking up on that and reflecting it back to him. That bodes very well for teh coming year.
anigif_enhanced-14346-1453230612-2.gif

Reactions: jameslee32
I have a theory on what Cal has missed- and it took the Capel and Vanderbilt issues for him to act on it. Cal has recruited outstanding young men at UK. Great players- even better people. But he has missed the 2010 team makeup. Wall, Cousins and Bledsoe were good kids, don’t get me wrong, but they were different than say for example Monk. Wall and crew had an edge and chip on their shoulders who were itching for the other team to start something, anything. Because they relished getting in faces and played better when it happened. Cal has never admitted it but those are the type of teams he wants. And there is at least four on this team I can think of that have “it”. And Cal didn’t add them just because of their basketball abilities.
Agree 100%; well said Irish.

What is the “crazy guy” role?

Guy you can never quite get a feel for. Outward emotional behavior, and capable of laughing manically in on-the-court dead ball skirmishes. They often relish provoking the opponent emotionally.

Rondo, Liggins, Harrelson, Briscoe, Cousins all fit that role. Herro (and probably Johnson) will too.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Fox and Bam were that. Cal always recruits that but some classes and teams have it more then others. On this team PJ , Hagans KJ and Travis all have it in spades.
Bam’s personality is like Mashburn’s: great skill, but very low key personality-wise with only occasional emotional outbursts.

He wasn’t a demonstrative competitive psychopath. I think Johnson/Herro/Washington are exponentially more demonstrative than Bam. Hagans has more motor than Fox. Fox routinely gave up on a hard screen and was picky when he decided to bring it defensively.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
One title. There ARE some questions whether you or anyone else like it or not. I’m not being an ass but with all the talent....there could/should be more.

This season is big for Cal's legacy (it's rare to have this type of roster and I won't assume it's happening again). I think everyone, especially Cal, knows it's time for a second title. Seems needed just from a vindication standpoint. Cal secures greatest coach in OAD era with a title. He's defined this era; it's only fitting if he adds a second title.

38-2. We will take down all the big names but lose two head scratchers. 9 this year and 10 before Cal leaves.

A title this year plus a Wiseman commitment for the next season = perfect scenario.

I'm already salivating over a possible Quickley/Green/Maxey backcourt in '19-20.

Reactions: Cardsstink
This season is big for Cal's legacy (it's rare to have this type of roster and I won't assume it's happening again). I think everyone, especially Cal, knows it's time for a second title. Seems needed just from a vindication standpoint. Cal secures greatest coach in OAD era with a title. He's defined this era; it's only fitting if he adds a second title.

Well said and totally agree.

A title this year plus a Wiseman commitment for the next season = perfect scenario.

I'm already salivating over a possible Quickley/Green/Maxey backcourt in '19-20.
Titles are really hard in a one and done scenario. You have to be really good and also catch some breaks in the tournament. Look, the immediate future of this team is the best it's looked in three seasons. I've been known to bitch and moan occasionally, but even the biggest pessimists should be extremely excited right now.

Last edited:
I'd say this is more like a team Cal had at UMass or Memphis in terms of being built with interchangeable guys and being able to play any style the opponent throws at them. Travis addition was huge because he gives that bruiser to match up with Grant Williams at Tennessee and someone who can score off putbacks/plays that he makes and don't need to be called for him in addition to being given the ball.

In being a fan of Cal's and how the UK teams play, I'd say the '10, '12, 15 teams fit into being loaded and had all he needed to win a championship and he delivered 1 out of 3--which is damn good in single elimination tournament--with total record of 13-2 in NCAA play, 2 Final Fours, 1 National Title.

The 11, 14, and 17 teams were a guy short to get them over hump but were able to peak due to mental toughness and great shot makers (Knight, Harrison and Young--James Young hit some HUGE shots that get overshadowed by Harrison's game winners but think of his shot against Wichita State specifically but also against Louisville and Michigan, then you had Monk--who would be an all time hero if UK gets into OT and beats UNC for that game 6pt barrage in 17 seconds). 14 was such a loaded team but so young and it took a while to gel and fill roles. '11 was one of his best coaching jobs along with this past year in my opinion, but he had versatile wings and a shot maker in Knight and great shooter in Lamb. 17 was missing one frontcourt player with Bam to win it all.

The 16 and 18 teams were similar in that it was a collection of talent but lacked presence on interior. '16 had the great guard play, but Briscoe was one of their best inside scorers/players and Poythress being banged up again, and Skal's normal FR season when UK is accustomed to great years from the big names hurt. This past year was so many parts...but injury to Vanderbilt hurt them in KSU game as he'd have helped PJ on the boards. Wenyen and Knox inability to get those loose ball/50-50 rebs late killed them and then no plan with who to play through late as Shai was guy through SEC Tournament and in opening rounds and in that game it was chaotic due to KSU doing a good job on him-like Ferrell cancelling out Ulis and Murray having a tough game--Knox didn't have his type of game and Green's 3pt attempt was a symbol of the year--talent but not ready.

'13 hard to judge because of Noel's injury. They were playing very good basketball with him and that year in CBB, that team could've been a sleeper/deep run team like '11 or even '14 with a less then pretty record, but lack of guard talent likely would've had them in '18 team realm of losing being a man/2 short.

If '11 has Kanter.....
If '13 had Shabazz.....
If '16 had Jaylen Brown.....
If '17 had Miles Bridges.....
If '18 had Mo Bamba.......

This year they have a team that is more suited to be like '10, '12, and '15 IMO. Size in Richards, Travis, Montgomery, PJ, and versatility with Washington, Johnson, Montgomery, along with shooting with Baker (highly underrated), Herro, Quickley, Green, and then defensive toughness on the ball with Hagans, Quickley, Johnson.

I have the opposite effect. I sometimes think of UK roster possibilities to help me sleep.

Yes, I'm aware that I need professional help, just like about 50% of the people who post here.
LOL!! My dad used to say I had a Big Blue obsession. He told me one time I needed help. I said, no....I just UK to win!

You mean Wall wasn't laughing on the bench getting blown out by 25? Lol I kid. Sort of.

Reactions: irishcat1965
Good post. The last two seasons, Cal has begged his team to rise up and become leaders, particularly from a consistent emotional standpoint. Few have taken the challenge, save a periodic SGA.

Cal's best teams have had multiple emotional alphas (maybe the one exception being the '14 team, which I believe only had one in Randle).

As you noted, this team will have a few: Johnson, PJ, Travis, Hagans, and a more consistent Green. I also think Quickley has the potential to become a throat-slitting assassin on the court. Herro will help accentuate the "crazy guy" role as a competitor (like Harrelson did in '11).

That makes at least four guys who will routinely be out for blood. A nice group to possess if you're a coach, especially when all of them have NBA talent.

Isn't it amazing how this is wildly accepted now but when we spoke on it during the last few years, brutal. This board is so bi polar.

I think Cal is doing what I learned in Psychology 101 is called 'projecting,' - seeing in others what he's feeling. I get the idea that HE'S more hungry than ever -- and the players are picking up on that and reflecting it back to him. That bodes very well for teh coming year.

Great observation. Further illustrated by his renewed vigor on the recruiting trail. Both of which are at least slightly due to the shoe company money deals being finally made public

Reactions: Fgpoe03
It would seem to me that with Cal's record on player improvement at UK, that this would make this a stupid question.......

Player improvement?? Hahahahaha. Yeah cause that’s what matters most.

Did you win participation trophies as a kid? Hahahahahahaha

I hope he takes it serious.

ADVERTISEMENT