ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari: 'This team is as hungry as any team I've coached'

I think Cal is doing what I learned in Psychology 101 is called 'projecting,' - seeing in others what he's feeling. I get the idea that HE'S more hungry than ever -- and the players are picking up on that and reflecting it back to him. That bodes very well for teh coming year.

Joker+Phillips1.jpg

Where’s this man to feed these hungry guys?

Reactions: crpoore
Dadgumit I'm STOKED. I'm going to start celebrating tonight when I get home and drink numerous beers and watch some of the taped UK games I have. Who's with me damnit. Go Big Blue...Go Big Blue. I'm feelin so good right now I may take my 20 year old girlfriend out dancing tonight. We gonna party like it's 2012. Damit I'm STOKED ARE YOU. Come on BBN Lets hear from you. I say we all get together and throw a big BBN Party at Cal's house. I don't think he would mind, do you?

Reactions: KyJones64
Reactions: awf
Cal will take no prisoners. He’s out for blood now.
I have a theory on what Cal has missed- and it took the Capel and Vanderbilt issues for him to act on it. Cal has recruited outstanding young men at UK. Great players- even better people. But he has missed the 2010 team makeup. Wall, Cousins and Bledsoe were good kids, don’t get me wrong, but they were different than say for example Monk. Wall and crew had an edge and chip on their shoulders who were itching for the other team to start something, anything. Because they relished getting in faces and played better when it happened. Cal has never admitted it but those are the type of teams he wants. And there is at least four on this team I can think of that have “it”. And Cal didn’t add them just because of their basketball abilities.

I have a theory on what Cal has missed- and it took the Capel and Vanderbilt issues for him to act on it. Cal has recruited outstanding young men at UK. Great players- even better people. But he has missed the 2010 team makeup. Wall, Cousins and Bledsoe were good kids, don’t get me wrong, but they were different than say for example Monk. Wall and crew had an edge and chip on their shoulders who were itching for the other team to start something, anything. Because they relished getting in faces and played better when it happened. Cal has never admitted it but those are the type of teams he wants. And there is at least four on this team I can think of that have “it”. And Cal didn’t add them just because of their basketball abilities.
I couldn’t have said it better myself.

Good post. The last two seasons, Cal has begged his team to rise up and become leaders, particularly from a consistent emotional standpoint. Few have taken the challenge, save a periodic SGA.

Cal's best teams have had multiple emotional alphas (maybe the one exception being the '14 team, which I believe only had one in Randle).

As you noted, this team will have a few: Johnson, PJ, Travis, Hagans, and a more consistent Green. I also think Quickley has the potential to become a throat-slitting assassin on the court. Herro will help accentuate the "crazy guy" role as a competitor (like Harrelson did in '11).

That makes at least four guys who will routinely be out for blood. A nice group to possess if you're a coach, especially when all of them have NBA talent.

Last edited:
Good post. The last two seasons, Cal has begged his team to rise up and become leaders, particularly from a consistent emotional standpoint. Few have taken the challenge, save a periodic SGA.

Cal's best teams have had multiple emotional alphas (maybe the one exception being the '14 team, which I believe only had one in Randle).

As you noted, this team will have a few: Johnson, PJ, Travis, Hagans, and a more consistent Green. I also think Quickley has the potential to become a throat-slitting assassin on the court. Herro will help accentuate the "crazy guy" role as a competitor (like Harrelson did in '11).

That makes at least for guys who will routinely be out for blood. A nice group to possess if you're a coach, especially when all of them have NBA talent.

What is the “crazy guy” role?

Reactions: railroadkat_1

That makes at least for guys who will routinely be out for blood. A nice group to possess if you're a coach, especially when all of them have NBA talent.
2014 had the twins. They were alphas as well.

Absolute fantastic post irish. You couldn't be more right about Wall, Bled, and Cousins just hoping for the other team to start something. I think that Mississippi State team that year brought it out in them. I found myself hoping last year that one of our opponents would get a lil chippy and hopefully spark some fire in our players

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Fox and Bam were that. Cal always recruits that but some classes and teams have it more then others. On this team PJ , Hagans KJ and Travis all have it in spades.

Fox and Bam were that. Cal always recruits that but some classes and teams have it more then others. On this team PJ , Hagans KJ and Travis all have it in spades.

No matter what is on the grocery list, if the store doesn't have it then all you can do is make due.

ADVERTISEMENT