ADVERTISEMENT

Caleb Wilson oh no Calipari...

sosoblue

Senior
Aug 18, 2004
"John Calipari, Arkansas staff visit five-star wing Caleb Wilson
Five-star jumbo wing Caleb Wilson remains open in his recruitment and on Monday he received a visit from Arkansas head coach John Calipari along with assistants Chin Coleman and Kenny Payne. The Wilsons are working on setting up a visit to the SEC school. The 6-foot-9 wing from has recently visited UCF, Georgia Tech and Southern Cal."

Pope get this guy now!

I hope we lock him up quick because I don’t like the Cal visit at all.
I think you've got reason to worry in a situation like this. If a kid is sure he's OAD, and the NIL money is right, what Calipari has been selling is very attractive. He tells you and your family that his primary goal - even over winning - is making sure you are in the NBA after one season. You insist you're a Guard but your perimeter shot is still years away and your handle is currently very suspect? No problem, come play for Calipari and he'll start you at SF (maybe even 2G) to showcase your "skills" even if it limits the potential of the team. And the players family/advisors know Calipari isn't just blowing smoke to get the kid. He has proven he's willing to risk losing to try to enhance a freshman's draft stock - at least in my opinion he's proven this - and he has basically stated multiple times that his primary goal is getting players (mainly freshmen) drafted.

I think you've got reason to worry in a situation like this. If a kid is sure he's OAD, and the NIL money is right, what Calipari has been selling is very attractive. He tells you and your family that his primary goal - even over winning - is making sure you are in the NBA after one season. You insist you're a Guard but your perimeter shot is still years away and your handle is currently very suspect? No problem, come play for Calipari and he'll start you at SF (maybe even 2G) to showcase your "skills" even if it limits the potential of the team. And the players family/advisors know Calipari isn't just blowing smoke to get the kid. He has proven he's willing to risk losing to try to enhance a freshman's draft stock - at least in my opinion he's proven this - and he has basically stated multiple times that his primary goal is getting players (mainly freshmen) drafted.
I had a father of one of last years players tell me EXACTLY what what you said about showcasing skills, willing to lose , and his primary goal.

Calipari is trying to be a pain in the butt. Too bad he should keep good relations with Kentucky. Like it or not a good portion of his legacy is tied with Kentucky.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I’m not going to say his name outright but people that know my posting history know who I’m talking about. It’s not like the guy was a starter or anything, lol .

Did the dad view this as a positive and did it therefore make it so they kinda didn’t really care that much how the team did? I don’t even say that as a negative to the family as maybe (and understandably) their main priority was their son and their future but I don’t see how that wouldn’t translate to not caring as much h about the program and team success.

Did the dad view this as a positive and did it therefore make it so they kinda didn’t really care that much how the team did? I don’t even say that as a negative to the family as maybe (and understandably) their main priority was their son and their future but I don’t see how that wouldn’t translate to not caring as much h about the program and team success.
This guy loves UK as much as I do . When I asked him if he was surprised about Cal leaving he said “initially, but after I heard about some things I understood “. I said “well you know how I’ve felt about him for awhile “ and he says “ yeah , a lot of people were “ . Then he went on to say almost verbatim what G-pip said .

according to gurus, Arkansas has a higher NIL offer than us right now and he's still favoring UK. Arkansas might try to make an offer so much higher it would make a difference but we could just up our offer then. Im not worried about Arkansas. Id be more worried about other teams on his list or the actual worry is if NIL negotiations dont work out and we arent willing to go as high as they want. If we had to settle for a proven in college portal transfer, so be it so its not the end of the world if we miss on Wilson but it would be fun to have him

It'd be great to get Wilson, but if he bites on Cal's message, then next man up.

Recruiting battles are going to happen for top players and Cal was never going to just go away. It is what it is. We have Hart and Brooks. I'm happy with that until they prove to not be the stellar recruiters they're hailed as. Cal couldn't recruit for sh*t once Antigua left, and Orlando's in the corn fields of Illinois.

So, while Cal might still have some magic left, color me wholly unconcerned. We'll be fine if Wilson goes elsewhere. Lord knows Pope has stuff going on in the background like he did recruiting all this year's transfers. We will be okay.

One very underrated thing about our chances with Caleb, is he seems to have a relationship with Travis Perry. Obviously everyone is talking about the Acaden Lewis friendship. But I think he visited for BBM with Perry back in 2023. I couldn’t track down the real image but I think they even took pictures in their jerseys together on that visit. There was also a video of Caleb on his visit last month late at night in the gym getting shots up with Travis and Andrew Carr. If you’re a social media follower they also frequently liked/commented on each others posts the past year.

Separately, I think Pope naturally attracts and seeks high character, high IQ individuals. His own educational purists are well documented. Wilson goes to a very good prep school in GA and has had a 3.9 or 4.0 GPA as far back as stories are done on him 3-4 years ago. This isn’t a prep school he’s even going to for basketball like an IMG/Montverde. I could really see a 4 man basketball player that’s like him from an intelligence/positive personality standpoint being a big draw/connection for Wilson and Pope.

All this to say, where he goes will in large part be due to the NIL no doubt. But this is the type of kid you want in the program. I’m more than happy for Pope to commit massive NIL dollars to this kid and hope he comes.

“Oh no” ???

Lol some of y’all need to grow a pair or quit being UK fans. Good lord. When did half of our fanbase turn into Cal-obsessed hand wringers?
I say a year of talking about him is fine, he was with us for a long time. If we keep talking about every little thing he does next year, then it becomes weird

I am not afraid of Cal, he is a great recruiter but sucks as an in-game coach. He had to have overwhelming talent to be successful.

It will be tough on losing some top recruits with the vision that Pope has. But, getting the right recruits will be more important than just the most talented. Otherwise why did we keep celebrating one or two top classes every year to have underwhelming outcomes?

In the past losing some recruits was where someone had more to offer; i.e. relationship, locality, money, etc. Now, if they don't respect the Kentucky name, legacy, history, BBN, the goals, they are not the fit. In other words if they don't want to be here it is no loss. Chemistry, team, effort, respect, belonging, appreciating (including whatever competitive NIL offer can be made) makes the right recruit.

Calipari is trying to be a pain in the butt. Too bad he should keep good relations with Kentucky. Like it or not a good portion of his legacy is tied with Kentucky.
For people who know him and regardless of what other people think ... Cal's legacy at UK for the final half of his tenure here will always be a shit-stain, IMO. He's such a deceitful and dishonest sad case of a man who misrepresented his true intentions as UK's coach. He will do anything he can to contribute large or small to purposefully target UK recruits for no other reason than vengeance. It's in his DNA, it's who he is while he will always try to sell himself to you that he's a good guy and then laugh his ass off when he succeeds with his evil deeds. Like I said, shit-stain that belongs in the Hall of Shame.

For people who know him and regardless of what other people think ... Cal's legacy at UK for the final half of his tenure here will always be a shit-stain, IMO. He's such a deceitful and dishonest sad case of a man who misrepresented his true intentions as UK's coach. He will do anything he can to contribute large or small to purposefully target UK recruits for no other reason than vengeance. It's in his DNA, it's who he is while he will always try to sell himself to you that he's a good guy and then laugh his ass off when he succeeds with his evil deeds. Like I said, shit-stain that belongs in the Hall of Shame.
If for no other reason, he DESPISES Mitch Barnhart. He will do anything possible to try and make Mitch Barnhart look bad .

I had a father of one of last years players tell me EXACTLY what what you said about showcasing skills, willing to lose , and his primary goal.
Why am I not surprised about the willing to lose part…. I mean we could all see it as a fans from a distance even not being directly connected to the program. Calipari did exactly what I’ve been saying for the last 10 years he used the program for his own damn agenda. That’s the reason unlike Pitino (who always put winning first when he was here ) I will never be on that cheer for Cal train 20 years down the road…

Why am I not surprised about the willing to lose part…. I mean we could all see it as a fans from a distance even not being directly connected to the program. Calipari did exactly what I’ve been saying for the last 10 years he used the program for his own damn agenda. That’s the reason unlike Pitino (who always put winning first when he was here ) I will never be on that cheer for Cal train 20 years down the road…
same...never cared for the University or BBN, except as a means towards his personal end/agenda. F him and his entitled spawn

Pope saying last week UK is in good shape with both Wilson and Cenac. UK gets both with JJ and MM would be a huge class. Hope we get Wilson for sure.

If for no other reason, he DESPISES Mitch Barnhart. He will do anything possible to try and make Mitch Barnhart look bad .
Absolutely right ... that's what shit-stains do. So glad he's gone and wish he had never been hired. Sick and Twisted man.

according to gurus, Arkansas has a higher NIL offer than us right now and he's still favoring UK. Arkansas might try to make an offer so much higher it would make a difference but we could just up our offer then. Im not worried about Arkansas. Id be more worried about other teams on his list or the actual worry is if NIL negotiations dont work out and we arent willing to go as high as they want. If we had to settle for a proven in college portal transfer, so be it so its not the end of the world if we miss on Wilson but it would be fun to have him
That's the problem $
Arkansas has more to throw around

You KNOW Cal is the type to have grudges and go after some programs (Which college basketball coach isn't like this, honestly..), and I firmly believe he would go above and beyond with his offer and promises to try and steal away a UK-leaning recruit.

Maybe he's trying to jack up the price that we're willing to pay for Wilson.

This entire system has become absurd at this point. I bet some of these kids are running from school to school and telling the coach that other programs are willing to pay X amount of dollars so they need a stronger offer to consider committing to your school.

So this might be the next 5 years here. Any recruit that looks at a Cal team will be uh oh. We are in trouble, Cal wants them. No reason to post to me. If Cal gets the guy, next. If he does not, you think Cal is going uh oh, I missed to Kentucky. No he will say his usual crap, Arkansas is not for everyone.

I hope we lock him up quick because I don’t like the Cal visit at all.
Yep. Cals pitch is decent…
Come here and we will pay you 2 million because we will only have 7 players to pay.
You can have extended time off during your 4 months here. Fake a foot injury and I will say…. I haven’t seen him.
You won’t have to play defense because we are showcasing your offensive athleticism to get you drafted.
What do ya say buddy???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT