ADVERTISEMENT

Cal Update on Bradshaw Tonight

Ruh Roh.

College Basketball's in even bigger trouble than they already are.
I hope the chemistry is still there.

Tre Mitchell played 34 minutes tonight. He’s averaged that many on the season. There’s no way he’ll keep getting that much. Will he be okay with that?

Thiero and Edwards both played 28 minutes. That’s a bit more than both of them average this season. They will both see a decrease. Will they be okay with that?

And Burks has played his last meaningful minutes this year. But he probably didn’t think he’d play any when he first signed.

Tre Mitchell played 34 minutes tonight. He’s averaged that many on the season. There’s no way he’ll keep getting that much. Will he be okay with that?

Thiero and Edwards both played 28 minutes. That’s a bit more than both of them average this season. They will both see a decrease. Will they be okay with that?

And Burks has played his last meaningful minutes this year. But he probably didn’t think he’d play any when he first signed.

That'll be the big thing.

You gotta take the mins from Burks (11 mins/game), take maybe 5 away from Thiero, and 5 away from Mitchell, and that's 21 MPG for Bradshaw, seems solid to me.

You gotta take the mins from Burks (11 mins/game), take maybe 5 away from Thiero, and 5 away from Mitchell, and that's 21 MPG for Bradshaw, seems solid to me.
15 to 20 a game is all we need. At this point I don't want the 7 footers throwing off what we got going but I want some rebounding and shot blocking.

15 to 20 a game is all we need. At this point I don't want the 7 footers throwing off what we got going but I want some rebounding and shot blocking.

That's the biggest thing, having someone ready to patrol the paint and protect the rim, it's the ONLY thing this team is missing- but you'd be getting it from a guy who can really shoot it from mid-range and beyond, and pass and dribble too.

Are all the clowns going to come back and man up and admit they were morons when they said Bradshaw would never play and he was another Sharpe? I highly doubt we hear from any of them.

Maybe some, but most are still perpetuating the lie that Bradshaw was going to USC because of Klutch. It doesn't help that people like Jack Pilgrim kept spreading the lie despite knowing it was false.

I think it’s even more complicated than this, though. I have argued that Mitchell will not be as impactful at the 4 as he has been at the 5. Thiero is built for the modern 4, with the exception of his three-point shooting. He defends and rebounds much better than Mitchell and is able to take it to the rack against other 4’s.

If Mitchell is not getting and hitting open three’s at the 4, then how is he more valuable at that position than Thiero?

To put it differently - Mitchell’s bread and butter has been picking and popping with the other team’s center guarding him. Even with these wide-open looks he’s only hitting 33% from deep. What exactly is going to happen when he has a quicker and more athletic guy guarding him night in and night out?

I would prefer Thiero to play about the same amount of minutes he’s been playing and for Mitchell to have a larger decrease.

Reactions: sammysdad05
I think it’s even more complicated than this, though. I have argued that Mitchell will not be as impactful at the 4 as he has been at the 5. Thiero is built for the modern 4, with the exception of his three-point shooting. He defends and rebounds much better than Mitchell and is able to take it to the rack against other 4’s.

If Mitchell is not getting and hitting open three’s at the 4, then how is he more valuable at that position than Thiero?

To put it differently - Mitchell’s bread and butter has been picking and popping with the other team’s center guarding him. Even with these wide-open looks he’s only hitting 33% from deep. What exactly is going to happen when he has a quicker and more athletic guy guarding him night in and night out?

I would prefer Thiero to play about the same amount of minutes he’s been playing and for Mitchell to have a larger decrease.
Great points and exactly what I’ve been thinking too

Reactions: CincyUKFan

why would Mitchell stay at the 5 and Bradshaw at the 4 like Cal said long ago? That could work super well especially if Bradshaw can shoot ...

Are all the clowns going to come back and man up and admit they were morons when they said Bradshaw would never play and he was another Sharpe? I highly doubt we hear from any of them.
Yes... a good portion of this board is just constant, he will never play... Shaeden Sharpe all over again.

it doesn’t matter what positions Cal says they are - the opposing coach will put his 4 on Tre Mitchell when we are on offense.
With our shooting and play making ability even if they did do that it wouldn’t matter. They couldn’t clog the lanes as much

it doesn’t matter what positions Cal says they are - the opposing coach will put his 4 on Tre Mitchell when we are on offense.

Yeah I think it's actually a good point, because most teams will switch with their 4 man, but NOT switch with their 5 man.

So it'll be interesting to see on that- if Bradshaw is on the perimeter and guarded by a 5 man who won't or can't switch, might help create a bunch more matchup problems.

Might be to our benefit.

Yeah I think it's actually a good point, because most teams will switch with their 4 man, but NOT switch with their 5 man.

So it'll be interesting to see on that- if Bradshaw is on the perimeter and guarded by a 5 man who won't or can't switch, might help create a bunch more matchup problems.

Might be to our benefit.
Yeah, if nothing else, great to have Bradshaw back to be able to play another style (true rim protection on D and still a stretch 5 on O). If it doesn't work out for some reason, hopefully Cal will go back to what has worked up to this point. But, great to have some diversity to how we play and additional depth.

No. Standard operating procedure here is to cry foul and whine that you are whining about the whiners and then they try to hide in the blue mist. Happens like that every single time. Not a single one will own up to the fact that the bashed a kid.

200 minutes divided between eight guys is 25 mpg. That should be enough to keep all of them happy.

We are playing in the Final Four and it's the last 5 minutes of a tight game. Who would you want to be on the court?

They'll just say "Klutch told Cal that Bradshaw can play." They've taken a position that really can't be disproven by anyone on this board. When he plays they won't admit they were wrong because they'll move the goalposts to "Klutch was always in charge, I just didn't think they'd let Bradshaw play."

That work load is fine in November but could/will take it’s toll in march when all the marbles are on the line.

The old Pitino teams were deep and hustled and pressed other team’s till legs and shots they hit early on in games became “bricks” ,and this is true for beginning of a season and the culmination of a successful one of #9…..JMO.

Mitchell will still play the 5. Bradshaw will play 4 and 5

Reactions: Seakat311

Cal said he will continue to play Mitchell at 5 spot. He said he hasn't had a player like him since Camby (flexibility).

The transition should be slow since Bradshaw will not be in game shape to run with the team at this time. The team gets up and down the court quickly so, it should be another month before he is ready for 20 plus minutes imo.

On Thiero over Mitchell: that will be interesting because while Thiero is stronger, quicker, and more athletic, Mitchell shoots better, sees the court better for assist, has more big game time experience, plays under more control and is a leader on the floor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT