ADVERTISEMENT

Cal Tricked Out of Drafting Kobe

He wasn’t really tricked out of it. Bryant’s agent, Arn Tellem, wanted him in LA and worked with Jerry West to find a team willing to draft him and trade him to the Lakers. Tellem made it very clear that Kobe would go play in Europe if the Nets drafted him and refused to trade him to the Lakers.

Jerry West told most of this story last night on TNT. Said Tellem was determined to get Kobe to the Lakers, and West really wanted him after he dominated Michael Cooper in a couple of workouts. West told Shaq that he was getting a kid who would become the best player in the NBA.

But it’s a fun story for Cal to tell.

I did read that, but if a guy is saying he isn't gonna play for you and you're a first year coach and he ends up sticking to his guns... eesh can't imagine the risk of that was the better choice. Given the circumstances I'm with Cal on this one. Although I think Steve Nash should have been his pick though. This is with that 20/20 hindsight vision of course.

Reactions: JStaff2187
He wasn’t really tricked out of it. Bryant’s agent, Arn Tellem, wanted him in LA and worked with Jerry West to find a team willing to draft him and trade him to the Lakers. Tellem made it very clear that Kobe would go play in Europe if the Nets drafted him and refused to trade him to the Lakers.

Jerry West told most of this story last night on TNT. Said Tellem was determined to get Kobe to the Lakers, and West really wanted him after he dominated Michael Cooper in a couple of workouts. West told Shaq that he was getting a kid who would become the best player in the NBA.

But it’s a fun story for Cal to tell.
By reading the story it definitely sounds like a trick to me. No way on earth Kobe plays overseas and skips the NBA. He was bluffing. Who knows how the story plays out if Cal calls his bluff and drafts him to the Nets. Maybe he would've gone to Italy maybe he would of been a stud for the Nets, maybe he would've sulked and been sent elsewhere, interesting to think about.

By reading the story it definitely sounds like a trick to me. No way on earth Kobe plays overseas and skips the NBA. He was bluffing. Who knows how the story plays out if Cal calls his bluff and drafts him to the Nets. Maybe he would've gone to Italy maybe he would of been a stud for the Nets, maybe he would've sulked and been sent elsewhere, interesting to think about.
Things would probably looked a lot different around here, no?

Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
I read Cal had worked him out several times and was convinced he was the guy to go after. Then the politics and big wigs decided otherwise. Kobe once told Cal if you had drafted me you would still be coaching in the NBA. However, there didn't seem to be much Cal could do.

I read Cal had worked him out several times and was convinced he was the guy to go after. Then the politics and big wigs decided otherwise. Kobe once told Cal if you had drafted me you would still be coaching in the NBA. However, there didn't seem to be much Cal could do.

Correct. Calipari wanted Kobe, and was willing to risk the threat of him going to Europe. The GM, John Nash, overruled him and went with Kerry Kittles.

Reactions: Rideordiewildcat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT