ADVERTISEMENT

Cal throwing players under the bus

A 2 seed. Give me a break. They will probably be 19-12 come tourney time.

I'll give you 10-1 SH is not a 2 seed.

They lost to Nebraska by 23 and also got beat by St. Louis. So I hope you were just tyring to be funny

They are not good
They have one good player who their coach set play after they lay for and Cal did not adjust because he sucks.

What do you think is going to happen at Auburn or at Knoxville? It will not be pretty
We are a bubble team in December depressing

Seton Hall a 2 seed [laughing]

You guys are all right. I think they could be a 1 seed. Sorry I downplayed how good they actually could be.

I think maybe 37-3 is possible for them if they keep playing like they did today.

Pressure mounting on Cal snd its palpable but I still think this team is on course for the FF.

I am so sick of this shit from everyside..

Cal needs to call HIMSELF out for his inability to discipline and TEACH. Cal and some of these other coaches are a great example of how you can get far in life through CONNECTIONS. Even if you come from zero, just work the system and you can be mediocre and go far. I 100% know of high school football and basketball coaches that are 10 times the teacher and strategist of John Calipri. They just don't have national connections and didnt want to leave the high school ranks. I know of one example in a west tn coach who just died. He was offered a contract by Gene Chizik on staff at Auburn and turned it down to stay in high school. Point being, just because a coach is high profile, doesnt mean you can just expect him to be a brilliant mind of the game. That's people's first mistake and why they're confused when Cal sucks.

Cal's always had discipline problems with his liberal philosophy and now its destroying him. Bob Knight was right, K is right, Rupp was right, Hall was right, Cal is dead wrong. You are at a high disadvantage with youth and discipline and preparedness are essential to achieving a high level of excellence. The reason Cal won that title in 2012 was because he just happen to hit a group of freshman mature beyond their age. Its absolutely a once in a lifetime thing. It's an outlier. It's not something you build your program on.

For the players, I'm so sick and tired of the coddling nonsense that Cal starts and some of our fans finish. Stop feeling sorry for them, they want to be pros without earning it and feel entitled to it. When they suck everyone including the coach needs to call it. Why has Pj Washington not sounded alarms off in the players dorm at 3 in the morning? Get the F up and get into this practice gym!! Hasnt happened. They're soft, because again, Cals weak approach of coddling and liberal discipline practices before and during games doesnt allow for an alpha to emerge and take the bull by the horns. They are relaxed, because Cal stays relaxed. So they do need him to call them out. Sure its hypocritical. This is SPORTS. If coaches weren't hypocrites to their players the system wouldn't work.

Certain people here loved this fantasy world where you can just love and trust 18 year old freshman who think they're pros to be coached like a pickup game and pampered given "players first" mentalities and thought somehow that equals winning. It doesnt. It's actually totally f'n retarded and these people vote. Pretty scary.

If you're under 25, do not think for a second what you've grown up believing about sports is true if you're judging it by Cals approach. And the only reason it worked for him for a while is because he had a few upperclassman and transcendent HOF talent. That's it.

All of them, from the coaches to the players, need to put their feet directly over the fire. If Cal wants to start that chain, I don't care. Do it. Someone in this program has to get serious about getting some discipline around our people. Oh wow, that's usually the HC job. And he just did it. Good. What's the problem?

He said all of that blamed his team left and right then said he’s heading out to recruit next week. This game was a killer for recruiting

I'm afraid all of this extra recruiting he has to do since he can't get the players he wants is going to have an effect on the team improving. Who is coaching these guys while he is gone? The same assistant coaches everyone thinks need to be replaced.

Cal's system calls for a great point guard. The only year that he has been here with a mediocre PG was an NIT year. Don't think we have one this year either.

Cal's system calls for a great point guard. The only year that he has been here with a mediocre PG was an NIT year. Don't think we have one this year either.
What is Cal’s system? Five guys who play AAU ball and a big tall guy trying to block every shot while the weak side defender comes over to also block a shot. And then he’s out of position to rebound?
Then run a weave at the top of the key every now and then and drive or throw up a three?
I’m being serious.

He doesn’t have a system just recruiting. That’s the problem.

Cal needs to call HIMSELF out for his inability to discipline and TEACH. Cal and some of these other coaches are a great example of how you can get far in life through CONNECTIONS. Even if you come from zero, just work the system and you can be mediocre and go far. I 100% know of high school football and basketball coaches that are 10 times the teacher and strategist of John Calipri. They just don't have national connections and didnt want to leave the high school ranks. I know of one example in a west tn coach who just died. He was offered a contract by Gene Chizik on staff at Auburn and turned it down to stay in high school. Point being, just because a coach is high profile, doesnt mean you can just expect him to be a brilliant mind of the game. That's people's first mistake and why they're confused when Cal sucks.

Cal's always had discipline problems with his liberal philosophy and now its destroying him. Bob Knight was right, K is right, Rupp was right, Hall was right, Cal is dead wrong. You are at a high disadvantage with youth and discipline and preparedness are essential to achieving a high level of excellence. The reason Cal won that title in 2012 was because he just happen to hit a group of freshman mature beyond their age. Its absolutely a once in a lifetime thing. It's an outlier. It's not something you build your program on.

For the players, I'm so sick and tired of the coddling nonsense that Cal starts and some of our fans finish. Stop feeling sorry for them, they want to be pros without earning it and feel entitled to it. When they suck everyone including the coach needs to call it. Why has Pj Washington not sounded alarms off in the players dorm at 3 in the morning? Get the F up and get into this practice gym!! Hasnt happened. They're soft, because again, Cals weak approach of coddling and liberal discipline practices before and during games doesnt allow for an alpha to emerge and take the bull by the horns. They are relaxed, because Cal stays relaxed. So they do need him to call them out. Sure its hypocritical. This is SPORTS. If coaches weren't hypocrites to their players the system wouldn't work.

Certain people here loved this fantasy world where you can just love and trust 18 year old freshman who think they're pros to be coached like a pickup game and pampered given "players first" mentalities and thought somehow that equals winning. It doesnt. It's actually totally f'n retarded and these people vote. Pretty scary.

If you're under 25, do not think for a second what you've grown up believing about sports is true if you're judging it by Cals approach. And the only reason it worked for him for a while is because he had a few upperclassman and transcendent HOF talent. That's it.

All of them, from the coaches to the players, need to put their feet directly over the fire. If Cal wants to start that chain, I don't care. Do it. Someone in this program has to get serious about getting some discipline around our people. Oh wow, that's usually the HC job. And he just did it. Good. What's the problem?
You seem to be under the impression that Cal's post-game comments are an indication that the disciplined approach you espouse is actually going to come to pass. If so, I'm all for it, but I suspect we're going to get more of the same with a with a large helping of "players first" and "ending generational poverty" bs.

You seem to be under the impression that Cal's post-game comments are an indication that the disciplined approach you espouse is actually going to come to pass. If so, I'm all for it, but I suspect we're going to get more of the same with a with a large helping of "players first" and "ending generational poverty" bs.

yep, Cal is going out like that. A national championship is a by product of what he is doing, not a focus, not a necessity.

What was a recruiting pitch changed to defining his legacy. It is not fully aligned with the goals of the University of Kentucky for Mens' basketball

Basically said he could’ve called the timeout. But said the players have to call it he can’t.

This is one of the dumbest rationalizations I've ever heard a coach make for a blunder. It's the coach's job to tell the player to call it. Don't blame that on the players, Cal, that's on you...

I really don't know what's going on with Cal lately. He increasingly doesn't seem like the same guy he used to be.

National TV? You don't think kids weren't watching this game? Watching that first half? Wondering exactly how many PPG they'll average when the team manages 31 in a half?
I think the supposed effect one game has on recruiting is exaggerated. If i'm a recruit and I'm looking into UK as a possible destination, a loss to SH is not going to necessarily turn me away....unless I was looking for any excuse to.

What has a far greater effect on recruiting is Cal's inability to showcase his individual players strengths, sacrificing that for rebounding and bully ball.

This is one of the dumbest rationalizations I've ever heard a coach make for a blunder. It's the coach's job to tell the player to call it. Don't blame that on the players, Cal, that's on you...

I really don't know what's going on with Cal, lately. He increasingly doesn't seem like the same guy he used to be.

It's not dumb at all. This is our system. Cal has told us over and over. Some people didnt listen. And of course to me and you it makes no sense out of context because it is incredibly stupid.

He doesnt call timeouts because he expects 18 year olds to make their own decisions on the floor. He thinks they grow on their own, through those mistakes. That's why he's the only coach in history to underprepared against teams like Wisonsin in the final four. He said it, they dont need that information.

Its ALWAYS been a problem. Its just that now there's no Randle or Davis to power the teams through those flawed principles.

This really isn't hard. Cal's philosophy only works when he's got players anyone can win with. That's the sad truth and some of us knew it even when we were winning. It worked then, because it's essentially a recruiting pitch, not a philosophy. Cant believe people dont understand this. And right now it's not helping him recruit its costing him in the floor.

He doesnt call timeouts because he expects 18 year olds to make their own decisions on the floor. He thinks they grow on their own, through those mistakes. That's why he's the only coach in history to underprepared against teams like Wisonsin in the final four. He said it, they dont need that information.

Then what the hell are we paying him 8 million dollars per year for? To let the players make the decisions that are supposed to be his job?

I wonder if: Knox, Gabriel, & Vanderbilt leaving broke him....he counseled all three to return and none did which from his perspective might be shocking. Maybe it’s finally dawned on him the monster he has created with a revolving door of players who are only here as a pit stop to the NBA and who every year have to re-learn every aspect of playing college basketball. It must be draining, exasperating, and frustrating the immense amount of energy it takes to start back at square one...every....single....year.

Or, we could be like Duke and end that poverty before they ever get here.

Then what the hell are we paying him 8 million dollars per year for? To let the players make the decisions that are supposed to be his job?

I mean man, I hear ya. But this has been happening for 8 years. I never liked it and always knew it was going to come to a point where it couldn't sustain itself. Cal doesnt really have a coaching philosophy. He's a salesman. He recruits while he coaches. Other coaches dont do that. K will tell players one thing and then do what's best for his TEAM when the ball is tipped. So when it doesnt work on the recruiting trail, it won't work on the floor.

Essentially, conventional wisdom might not be sexy, but it's conventional for a reason. What's generally believed as a tool that works is thought of successfully because of experience. You cant be as liberal with your approach as Cal wants to be. To prove this all you have to do is look at K, Rupp, Knight, etc. Incredibly strict coaches. The most successful amoung their peers.

I've watched and followed Cal Cal since his first days at Memphis closely.( I also watched him at Umass and the NBA.) He can be incredibly volatile, not just for the worst. Cal isn't done, and he only coaches this way by choice. Look at his histroy. As soon as he decides he's ready to change course, it will happen before you realize it. Actually its already happening, but people wont realize it for another year or a little longer.

Reactions: CalipariCapo
Nick should have started in OT just to get the tip. But when you think everything is OK you don't really do any thinking.

I know players have problems. But they were killing us inside during OT until cal put nick in. The guy needs to play. When we don’t have travis we have no other option. This game today is very winnable if cal actually coaches. Instead he just let them play then blamed them like they know what they’re supposed to do

I mean man, I hear ya. But this has been happening for 8 years. I never liked it and always knew it was going to come to a point where it couldn't sustain itself. Cal doesnt really have a coaching philosophy. He's a salesman. He recruits while he coaches. Other coaches dont do that. K will tell players one thing and then do what's best for his TEAM when the ball is tipped. So when it doesnt work on the recruiting trail, it won't work on the floor.

Essentially, conventional wisdom might not be sexy, but it's conventional for a reason. What's generally believed as a tool that works is thought of successfully because of experience. You cant be as liberal with your approach as Cal wants to be. To prove this all you have to do is look at K, Rupp, Knight, etc. Incredibly strict coaches. The most successful amoung their peers.

I've watched and followed Cal Cal since his first days at Memphis closely.( I also watched him at Umass and the NBA.) He can be incredibly volatile, not just for the worst. Cal isn't done, and he only coaches this way by choice. Look at his histroy. As soon as he decides he's ready to change course, it will happen before you realize it. Actually its already happening, but people wont realize it for another year or a little longer.

This is a good post. And I'm afraid there's a lot of truth to it.

I still really like Cal, but I'm tired of seeing us commit these sort of silly blunders that you'd never see a John Beilein, Jay Wright or Brad Stevens coached team commit.

And to try to pawn it off with "it's the players' fault, not mine" type excuse-making is just embarrassing. You're better than that, Cal.

Reactions: JRCAT14
I think he subs too much. No continuity. Playing through a mistake is ok. Does he spreads minute because of 7 *****?

There’s a big problem. You got a coach who is expecting too much from 18 year olds every year. I don’t care what generation they are from they need guidance and teaching not be called out by their coach who isn’t leading by example. You’re right our coach and players need to get out of their comfort zone so to speak. There shouldn’t be any coddling, practice should be brutal, all that, etc. Honestly I don’t think it’s a generational thing. Other coaches are gettting it done. You nailed it by saying cal is too relaxed. The team started the season with no sense of urgency, still no sense of urgency: expectations start with the coach. Cal has no expectations other than to improve through the season. It will never work unless cal commits to having 2-3 seniors per season who contribute, same with juniors and all down the line. Need captains and leaders will never have that with this system so every year cal is the captain.

Until cal changes his approach and coaching tactics I don’t want to hear about this or that player not executing. Implement a system they can be successful. Coach all the time, quit talking about 7 man rotations whatever. Do what it takes to win and take the crap as this is his system not nick Richards bc he can’t remember a play, you’re not gonna get that level of thinking out of scared freshman a guy who had very little pt.

This is how the end begins. It started at the end of the Wisky loss, but this is how it really begins with Cal. I can see him walking away sooner than I thought.

I think so also.
The reason is, because he used to recruit any player he wanted and 90 % of the time they came.
Lately, very few he recruited said yes.
This is a common thing that happens, as they say,
"Sometimes you ride the saddle, and sometimes the saddle is on you"

I don't know why everyone is complaining. It's not like Seton Hall is a mediocre team. They're really, really good. They'll probably end up as a top 2 seed when it's all said and done.

Plus, it's only December. This is a process, even when our team has four veterans in its rotation. Can't expect these guys to play with cohesiveness yet.

Seton hall will be lucky to make the tournament

There’s a big problem. You got a coach who is expecting too much from 18 year olds every year. I don’t care what generation they are from they need guidance and teaching not be called out by their coach who isn’t leading by example. You’re right our coach and players need to get out of their comfort zone so to speak. There shouldn’t be any coddling, practice should be brutal, all that, etc. Honestly I don’t think it’s a generational thing. Other coaches are gettting it done. You nailed it by saying cal is too relaxed. The team started the season with no sense of urgency, still no sense of urgency: expectations start with the coach. Cal has no expectations other than to improve through the season. It will never work unless cal commits to having 2-3 seniors per season who contribute, same with juniors and all down the line. Need captains and leaders will never have that with this system so every year cal is the captain.

Until cal changes his approach and coaching tactics I don’t want to hear about this or that player not executing. Implement a system they can be successful. Coach all the time, quit talking about 7 man rotations whatever. Do what it takes to win and take the crap as this is his system not nick Richards bc he can’t remember a play, you’re not gonna get that level of thinking out of scared freshman a guy who had very little pt.

I agree but it starts with Cal setting the tone. If he's doing this to get it right I have no problem with it.

All people have to do is go back to the Duke game and look at the face of Zion and Barrett coming out of the tunnel and then fast foward to Pj and our guys. Duke had a look of war, we had the look of a team celebrating a title heading to the movie theater.

It matters. And I dont give a F anymore if certain posters think it's old wise tales because they cant visualize reality if you cant quantify it with baking soda and vinegar. And anyway there's plenty of evidence over time to show it's real. I feel like a dork half the time for having to describe things in a way I always felt was self evident.

My guess is Cal and the rat face, will retire together, or within one year of each other.
They both must be tired of coaching.

I agree but it starts with Cal setting the tone. If he's doing this to get it right I have no problem with it.

All people have to do is go back to the Duke game and look at the face of Zion and Barrett coming out of the tunnel and then fast foward to Pj and our guys. Duke had a look of war, we had the look of a team celebrating a title heading to the movie theater.

It matters. And I dont give a F anymore if certain posters think it's old wise tales because they cant visualize reality if you cant quantify it with baking soda and vinegar.

If coming to uk is a “business’s decision” then I agree it needs to be all business. My money says he is finding the job too difficult and slowly is checking out. Maybe why we didn’t get an loi from Whitney. Maybe his family can sense it

Current state of affairs...

whut.jpg

If coming to uk is a “business’s decision” then I agree it needs to be all business. My money says he is finding the job too difficult and slowly is checking out. Maybe why we didn’t get an loi from Whitney. Maybe his family can sense it

Maybe college basketball is like the market, and it fluctuates up and down. and our curve is falling fast.

Idc what anyone says about the talent of This team. We should not lose to teams like Seaton hall Period. What a joke. Let's face it though, after duke pounded us we haven't been the same. I don't know if we will ever respond

Why dont you offer Capel. Doubt he would leave his post for UK but maybe you can get a top 5 recruit finally
As bad as things may seem they aren’t that bad. Don’t think I could stomach the fake charges, head snaps, and floor slaps.

Did Cal really say he wanted a timeout but it wasn't called by the players? If so that's just weak. Just rewatch the last 10 seconds, you see him on the sideline, definitely didn't look like he wanted a timeout. Bad enough to make a mistake; blaming it on your kids is so much worse.

terrible comments. Totally ripped Richards who cal failed to play when we needed him to start OT. He said he “didn’t remember”. He’s been doing this with freshman now for 10 years he should know we needed a timeout to refresh their memory. That’s called coaching. You don’t expect or assume anything about your team you coach them and live by the rule of 50. You gotta tell them 50x til they hear you. Can’t believe he threw the players under the bus.

Get over yourself! You know Richards is a sophomore and Cal had just told them in the timeout that if they score go to the middle of the court and set a screen and were not calling a timeout! Toy know this is why Richards minutes need to dry up!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT