ADVERTISEMENT

Cal the ambassador.

Boyd94

Junior
Feb 16, 2022
Do you want Cal to slide into the ambassador role? What exactly would he do? Would it cause friction for us to get a top notch replacement?

Reactions: Kerry Kat
Someone posted a quote from Cal when he addressed that part of his contract. That was basically put in as an insurance in case Cal physically couldn't coach and everyone still wanted him in Lexington. Since that is now longer the case, I'd say that option is all but a mute point now.

I couldn't see him actually doing that. It's a tad under $1M a year and money isn't an issue for him (I would assume). I could only see him doing that if he left here on a much higher note than I see as being possible at this point in time.

As an older fan, I remember that coach Rupp maintained an office in Memorial Hall after being fired in 1972. Younger fans would not know that Coach Rupp wanted to continue as coach after reaching the age of 70 in 1972, and the UK bigwigs could have waived the 70 year old age limit for UK employees had they wished, but choose to dismiss Rupp anyway. It made for a bad situation for incoming Coach Joe Hall, as not only did Rupp have an office in the gym, but continued to do a weekly radio show as well. It was a bitter time for UK basketball as the Rupp advocates and Hall advocates seemed to really hate one another. There were a lot of "Hall Must Fall" and "Joe Must Go" on lawns and car bumpers in the early 1970s. In my opinion, it would be best if Cal has nothing to do with the basketball program when he leaves. Cal could do his charity work in retirement, or color analyst on TV broadcasts, as other retired coaches (Al McGuire, Billy Packer, Dick Vitale, etc) have done.

Reactions: Boyd94
Someone posted a quote from Cal when he addressed that part of his contract. That was basically put in as an insurance in case Cal physically couldn't coach and everyone still wanted him in Lexington. Since that is now longer the case, I'd say that option is all but a mute point now.
It went even further than an "insurance" policy. It was a retirement fund for when he was done coaching. He can stay on as an ambassador for as long as he wants for $1 million/year. So, unless we can get rid of that part too, he OWNS Mitch!!!

But he also said in that article that he would NEVER take $1 million/year over $8-9 million/year as long as the contract lasted UNLESS UK wanted to buy him out in which he would NOT take a PENNY LESS than the ENTIRE amount of the contract!!!

So we are STUCK with him unless UK buys him out!!!!

Mitch deserves to be FIRED if Cal doesn't get UK an SEC Tournament Championship OR a Final 4!!!

Reactions: SemperFiCat
It went even further than an "insurance" policy. It was a retirement fund for when he was done coaching. He can stay on as an ambassador for as long as he wants for $1 million/year. So, unless we can get rid of that part too, he OWNS Mitch!!!
That’s incorrect. The $1 million gig ends in 2029 too.

That’s incorrect. The $1 million gig ends in 2029 too.
I thought the school and Cal could extend it?? But you are probably right. But that just means he will NOT walk away until 2029. That means UK is on the hook for the ENTIRE amount of the buyout to get rid of him. Because he has said he WON'T leave or take a penny LESS than what is owed him.

So Cal OWNS UK until 2029. SAD

I thought the school and Cal could extend it?? But you are probably right. But that just means he will NOT walk away until 2029. That means UK is on the hook for the ENTIRE amount of the buyout to get rid of him. Because he has said he WON'T leave or take a penny LESS than what is owed him.

So Cal OWNS UK until 2029. SAD
It’s not an automatic extension. I couldn’t see a reason that UK would extend it. I’ve posted a number of times that the totality of the buyout seems massive but the way they would actually pay it out is not insurmountable. They could financially make the move after this year and be able to find a way to afford it.

It’s not an automatic extension. I couldn’t see a reason that UK would extend it. I’ve posted a number of times that the totality of the buyout seems massive but the way they would actually pay it out is not insurmountable. They could financially make the move after this year and be able to find a way to afford it.
But it would still be $33 million from UK Athletics and/or a donor. Either way it is money that will be taken away from UK.

It SUCKS and Mitch needs to be held accountable for giving Cal that kind of leverage for that much time and money!!!

But it would still be $33 million from UK Athletics and/or a donor. Either way it is money that will be taken away from UK.

It SUCKS and Mitch needs to be held accountable for giving Cal that kind of leverage for that much time and money!!!
Yes it would still be from UK athletics, but it’s paid out over the remainder of the contract. If we hired a new coach for $6 million, UK would need to come with less than $4 million/year more than what they would pay Cal if he stayed. They netted over $5 million in profit last year with more revenue coming this year. They can afford to do it (especially if donors chip in, but not needed) and have a very minimal effect.

But he also said in that article that he would NEVER take $1 million/year over $8-9 million/year as long as the contract lasted UNLESS UK wanted to buy him out in which he would NOT take a PENNY LESS than the ENTIRE amount of the contract!!!

So we are STUCK with him unless UK buys him out!!!!

Mitch deserves to be FIRED if Cal doesn't get UK an SEC Tournament Championship OR a Final 4!!!
He’s going to Boeheim the hell out of us , ain’t he.

• Sad
Reactions: catben
He’s going to Boeheim the hell out of us , ain’t he.
You know it. Heck he has been PUBLIC about it!!! He has stated NUMEROUS times that he is finishing out this contract for the money!!! And Mitch made it where there is NOTHING UK can do about it except to pay him an ENORMOUS amount of money NOT to coach!!!

And UK doesn't have the Oil Barons that Texas A&M has to pay him off and hire some one else like they did with Jimbo Fisher.

SAD

Reactions: yoshukai
You know it. Heck he has been PUBLIC about it!!! He has stated NUMEROUS times that he is finishing out this contract for the money!!! And Mitch made it where there is NOTHING UK can do about it except to pay him an ENORMOUS amount of money NOT to coach!!!

And UK doesn't have the Oil Barons that Texas A&M has to pay him off and hire some one else like they did with Jimbo Fisher.

SAD
Yep , and the coal and the tobacco industries just aren’t what they were . My only hope is that, for some reason Ellen pressures him to hang it , up or maybe someone like say Michigan will be stupid enough to give him a good enough deal to leave . That’s all I got.

• Sad
Reactions: catben
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT