ADVERTISEMENT

Cal stated his kids lost to men

It has become obvious to anyone who is looking that Cal's"model" the one and done is no longer ger effective, at least on a championship level. The game has changed, Cal hasn't

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
It’s funny to me with every loss it’s always Cal got out coached. But when an argument is made that Cal is better than Pitino, it’s always Pitino didn’t have Cal’s players. Was Pitino not good enough to out coach Cal or what? I’m confused
At UK Rick would have dictated the tempo and his team would have played smothering defense. I compare his coach at UK to Cal's coaching at UK....what either one of them did elsewhere doesn't make a damn difference to me.

At UK Rick would have dictated the tempo and his team would have played smothering defense. I compare his coach at UK to Cal's coaching at UK....what either one of them did elsewhere doesn't make a damn difference to me.

If you discussing who is better, what’s better than head to head??? That’s the only way not to insert personal feelings and go by only facts.

First of all 90% of our problems is because our defense is putrid currently. That's the biggest issue. Cal said in his post game presser we have to learn handle physical play and protect ourselves somehow. So that got me to thinking about a couple different situations.

Around the time our the collapse of out defense in the Georgia game Big Z takes a shot to his ribs running down the court. No call. He goes for a rebound. The elbow he threw could be argued. Probably the right call.

Last night Mitchell's cylinder foul.

My question is this Georgia and SC were allowed to be extremely physical with us with minimum fouls called. So when we decided to by physical back we weren't giving the same leash. Why is our physical play frown upon bur Georgia and SC rewarded? What's the difference?

South Carolina had the perfect called game for their style of play. The officials called nothing at the rim and that favors teams that play like them. Unfortunately tournament play is a lot like that. Wisconsin only got called for 14 fouls the night they knocked off the 2015 team.
That doesn't account for Cal's lack of OOB defense or his ridiculous sub patterns including yanking Dilly when he got hot.

Last nights game was all about a prepared team vs an unprepared team.
1. Defense = Do the UK guards have any will to stay in front of the player they are guarding? Is there a theme going on where opposing guards are having career games when they play UK? The guards have a "laziness" type of effort and this team isn't going anywhere in March unless this is corrected.

2. Offense = A lot of the sets in the first half were from the old plays - guard running back and forth on baseline trying to get open and only thing being accomplished is the shot clock running down under 5 seconds with no one having a clean look at the basket.

3. Coaching = Someone needs to ask Cal what he does if anything to prepare for a game. SC started a 6'7 and 6'8 frontline and it took until the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half to try and establish Mitchell on the post? Once he did, the player picked up 2 fouls in 10 seconds as he had zero chance of matching up. Inbounds Defense - As this has been a problem for years, what does it take to fix the problem of giving up uncontested layups? Georgia had 4 layups on Saturday and South Carolina had 3 last night. Also, SC scored on a wide open 3 with half a second on the shot clock that was luckily reviewed and taken off. Why not just go to a zone on inbounds plays?

Bottom line is when you don't coach to detail or fundamentals, you will constantly be broken down defensively and it's happening at a record pace. When the opposing team gets comfortable attacking the man to man defense and Cal doesn't have another defense to go to, it makes for a long night of which occurred last night. I found it funny last night where the announcer talked about UK's poor Pik N Roll defense and the breakdowns on inbounds plays leading to layups in prior games but nothing changed as UK keeps getting exposed.
Good analogy. Wish Cal would give these issues as much thought and do something about it. But as long as he sends 4-6 guys to the NBA his mission is accomplished.

This has been my biggest concern with this team. Mature physical teams challenge us and we shy from that challenge. Hope they can get it fixed before the tournament.

I’ll add in the refs need to call games consistently. Saw a lot of fouls not get called at the beginning and that has to throw you off your game plan. A great team would figure out how to adjust but still refs playing their part as well.

Everybody that gave me sh*t about this post can kiss my ass.

Spot on as usual.

Pisses me off that there was even an argument about it. Anybody that knows the game could recognize the deficiencies.

They had strengths and they had weaknesses. It’s like they focused on the strengths and ignored the weaknesses. That is always a path to failure.

Pisses me off that there was even an argument about it. Anybody that knows the game could recognize the deficiencies.

They had strengths and they had weaknesses. It’s like they focused on the strengths and ignored the weaknesses. That is always a path to failure.
Same people who said don't play Sharpe becuase it will ruin chemistry. Also the same people who said don't start Reed and Rob because it'll hurt team chemistry. Lol, some of these dudes don't know much about the sport. If cal does it, it's genius. After all, he's in the HOF.

That “boys against men” excuse had gotten old. Mitchell and Reeves both turn 24-years-old this year. Big Z is used to playing against friggin pros in Europe. We’ve got some men of our own.
Yes...it's like using we are "the youngest team in the country" BS 30+ games into the season.

Reactions: chroix
Said they were too physical for his boys, they tried to dance instead of attack. Just soft play.
He isn’t lying but what are you going to do about it before next game?
These are the players he chose.....clearly he could have had a more physical team if he wanted to. By the way Cal this is the "no excuse program" your own words.

Same people who said don't play Sharpe becuase it will ruin chemistry. Also the same people who said don't start Reed and Rob because it'll hurt team chemistry. Lol, some of these dudes don't know much about the sport. If cal does it, it's genius. After all, he's in the HOF.
I didn’t mind it as long as they got minutes but after we start out down 10-0 every game it’s gotten real old. Not only that but we never play that combination of players ever again the entire game so why start them?

Better get his team prepared. There are a lot of men playing in the NCAA tournament…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT