ADVERTISEMENT

Cal stated his kids lost to men

Said they were too physical for his boys, they tried to dance instead of attack. Just soft play.
He isn’t lying but what are you going to do about it before next game
Teach positioning down low... more ball movement, as we sometimes go back to the old Cal offense, with one guy dribbling out front and a pass or 2 before a shot... SC was overplaying the passing lanes.... a simple cut to the basket fixes that.. but we threw the ball around by the mid court line until we decided to go 1 on 1...(DJ)... and I don't blame DJ.. at least he was trying to be aggressive, but there is lack of thought process from the guy in charge to help the kids break an over aggressive defense.

It's a disservice to our kids to coach so lousy during a game. Cal cannot, or won't adapt to in - game situations.

This has been my biggest concern with this team. Mature physical teams challenge us and we shy from that challenge. Hope they can get it fixed before the tournament.

I’ll add in the refs need to call games consistently. Saw a lot of fouls not get called at the beginning and that has to throw you off your game plan. A great team would figure out how to adjust but still refs playing their part as well.

This has been my biggest concern with this team. Mature physical teams challenge us and we shy from that challenge. Hope they can get it fixed before the tournament.

I’ll add in the refs need to call games consistently. Saw a lot of fouls not get called at the beginning and that has to throw you off your game plan. A great team would figure out how to adjust but still refs playing their part as well.
This team doesn't beat the K-State team that put us out last year.

Last nights game was all about a prepared team vs an unprepared team.
1. Defense = Do the UK guards have any will to stay in front of the player they are guarding? Is there a theme going on where opposing guards are having career games when they play UK? The guards have a "laziness" type of effort and this team isn't going anywhere in March unless this is corrected.

2. Offense = A lot of the sets in the first half were from the old plays - guard running back and forth on baseline trying to get open and only thing being accomplished is the shot clock running down under 5 seconds with no one having a clean look at the basket.

3. Coaching = Someone needs to ask Cal what he does if anything to prepare for a game. SC started a 6'7 and 6'8 frontline and it took until the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half to try and establish Mitchell on the post? Once he did, the player picked up 2 fouls in 10 seconds as he had zero chance of matching up. Inbounds Defense - As this has been a problem for years, what does it take to fix the problem of giving up uncontested layups? Georgia had 4 layups on Saturday and South Carolina had 3 last night. Also, SC scored on a wide open 3 with half a second on the shot clock that was luckily reviewed and taken off. Why not just go to a zone on inbounds plays?

Bottom line is when you don't coach to detail or fundamentals, you will constantly be broken down defensively and it's happening at a record pace. When the opposing team gets comfortable attacking the man to man defense and Cal doesn't have another defense to go to, it makes for a long night of which occurred last night. I found it funny last night where the announcer talked about UK's poor Pik N Roll defense and the breakdowns on inbounds plays leading to layups in prior games but nothing changed as UK keeps getting exposed.

Said they were too physical for his boys, they tried to dance instead of attack. Just soft play.
He isn’t lying but what are you going to do about it before next game?
Isn't this the same exact line he spouted after we lost to UNC-Wilmington? So, in essence, it's been over a month and he hasn't managed to progress this team at all. WTF does he do all day?

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
We play a lot of teams every year that have older players. If that is a problem then why not get more transfers that are older? Been how many years now and we continue to be too young? SC picks up players from small colleges yet they be one of the best defensive teams in the country with a 6-8 and a 6-7 starting as their big men. What I can't get my mind off of is a team of basically lower level players going against our team of 7 pro's and able to dominate. How can that be? Why hasn't the defense been fixed? Play a zone, demand in your face defense every second or sit next to the coach. Whatever it takes. But to not care enough to do something about it?

South Carolina had the perfect called game for their style of play. The officials called nothing at the rim and that favors teams that play like them. Unfortunately tournament play is a lot like that. Wisconsin only got called for 14 fouls the night they knocked off the 2015 team.

Cal is not that good of a coach great recruiter, Ky has great player but the coach cannot coach, no D no inside game live and die by the outside shot.

Last night, we lived and died by missing layups and shooting long 2's. We reverted right back to Cal's patented offense, when the going got tough. We shot 13 3's.

It’s funny to me with every loss it’s always Cal got out coached. But when an argument is made that Cal is better than Pitino, it’s always Pitino didn’t have Cal’s players. Was Pitino not good enough to out coach Cal or what? I’m confused

It’s funny to me with every loss it’s always Cal got out coached. But when an argument is made that Cal is better than Pitino, it’s always Pitino didn’t have Cal’s players. Was Pitino not good enough to out coach Cal or what? I’m confused
Cal isn’t even in the same league as Pitino as a bench coach. No comparison. We had vastly more talented teams. Not close. Also, watch how little Cal makes adjustments. Tells you all you need to know. Cal is a bum.

Reactions: katwest and UKortho
Cal isn’t even in the same league as Pitino as a bench coach. No comparison. We had vastly more talented teams. Not close. Also, watch how little Cal makes adjustments. Tells you all you need to know. Cal is a bum.

Pitino had lots of teams better than South Carolina. He just didn’t make the right adjustments or never had the right game plan to win against us.

And who's fault is that in the first place? He's ALL about making excuses for the very thing HE created!! Sick of hearing his excuses! Why do you keep giving minutes to guys that are not"earned", but promised.

Reactions: bigbluedon
Last night, we lived and died by missing layups and shooting long 2's. We reverted right back to Cal's patented offense, when the going got tough. We shot 13 3's.

Completely agree here. It didn't help with how much Wagner and Reeves were getting pushed around and not getting a call, but you have to finish at some point. Then - no threes really.

Lmao you think Cal is a good bench coach?! Dude is mediocre at best. NEVER makes adjustments. We lose so many games because of it.

Lord forbid someone disagree with you, right?

What I’m saying is, others get to live by different standards and that’s hypocritical. That’s all…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT