ADVERTISEMENT

Cal Quote

I’m not going to spend the time digging right now, but I’m sure there is exponentially more players who reclassed and joined early that didn’t play for a while because they weren’t ready.
I don’t know how many there have been or how many players have actually joined a team in the spring semester. I’d guess the sample size of that alone is pretty damn small. And even smaller of players as highly touted as Sharpe. My point is to the people that act like it’s an insane idea when we’ve seen an example of it and it worked pretty well.

He's not got enough to play for us this season but he will be on an NBA court next season.Makes perfect sense.
There’s still a chance for him to play this season, I wouldn’t rule it out. Also helps going through months of preseason training with your new team once u get to the NBA.

Sorry but... Logic.

Cal "Im responsible to the parents for these kids"

Sharpe "im not gonna put the kid in the position to hurt himself" ( physically or draft?)

Wheeler "you sure you ok to go back in?" (Double/triple concussed)... Ok go in.

Sorry this logic makes as much sense to me as covid-19 policy.

Last edited:
He shouldn’t be in uniform if he’s not ready to play. It’s pointless. And cal with the injury comment my gosh this guy has a bag of excuses. Until cal comes out and says where gonna do what it takes to win I want him gone. Go to the nba and coach the guys you cater to man
You're having a field day today aren't you?

I don’t know how many there have been or how many players have actually joined a team in the spring semester. I’d guess the sample size of that alone is pretty damn small. And even smaller of players as highly touted as Sharpe. My point is to the people that act like it’s an insane idea when we’ve seen an example of it and it worked pretty well.
I wouldn’t say it’s an insane idea, I’m under the opinion that he should end up playing some point this season, but I’m not gonna fault Cal for not throwing him out there today when he doesn’t know the plays and hasn’t even done 5-on 5 work with the team.

Reactions: STL_Cat
I mean you can probably always come up with a player or a situation but I can't imagine that's the norm even for number 1 ranked 5 star recruits.

I still think he'll play eventually this season.

This discussion is going to happen tho every time we are losing in a game lol.
Like I said I’m not even necessarily talking about today. But it’s certainly not crazy to think he should be ready to contribute within the next couple weeks.

Sorry but... Logic. Cal "Im responsible to the parents for these kids"

Sharpe "im not gonna put the kid in the position to hurt himself" ( physically or draft?)

Wheeler "you sure you ok to go back in?" (Double/triple concussed)... Ok go in.

Sorry this logic makes as much sense to me as covid-19 policy.

It does make you wonder if the hesitancy is actually on Cal's part..................or Sharpe (or his camp).

Have you ever played a team sport and tried to learn ALL of the nuances on both sides of the ball in 2 weeks?
Have you watched Cal's offense? There isn't anything complicated about Cal's offense. He is non-stop yelling throughout the game telling his players and their opponent where he wants the ball and where he wants each player. So, give me a break with trying to convince me that Cal has a complicated offense. Confusing?? I will give you that. Most players leave UK still not knowing what the hell Cal was trying to do offensively.

Actual quote

“I have told his parents that I am not going to put him in a position where he hurts himself,” he reiterated Saturday. “I am not. And we’re going to do this, the process of this, and if he ends up playing this year because he’s capable of doing it and he can play, we’ll play him. But I’m not just shoving him in so we can win another game or stay closer. I’m not going to do that.

Stop falling for click bait without looking at the context.
Just what I was trying to point out in earlier posts. Thanks for posting this.

This is the very reason why I tolerate Cal as opposed to liking him. He thinks he is God's gift to college basketball and that UK's fanbase is so dumb that we will believe whatever BS he shovels our way. He has done this for so long, he probably believes his BS.
I’m exactly like you on this .

Reactions: Jumpercat
Some of you act like people want him to fly a damn airplane. It’s basketball. The game he is amazingly talented at. You are telling me he can’t get out there and play 7 minutes a game right now? Dontaie Allen is a better option? That’s what people believe? He will never play a minute here. People need to stop it.

Have you watched Cal's offense? There isn't anything complicated about Cal's offense. He is non-stop yelling throughout the game telling his players and their opponent where he wants the ball and where he wants each player. So. give me a break with trying to convince me that Cal has a complicated offense. Confusing?? I will give you that. Most players leave UK still not knowing what the hell Cal was trying to do offensively.
That offense you are ripping is ranked 4th in adjusted offensive efficiency. I don’t know if this is the year you want to go after his offense when it is the best in the conference and one of the best in the country.

LOL , Just L. freaking O L .. That full context isn't any better than the shorter version . Johny Salesman doesnt care about small games like today , he got generational poverty to end .. LOL . Listen I know its not IDEAL to get Sharpe in a tough game like today , but he's been a couple weeks , we had a total blowout where he could have played 5-6-8 minutes , if he's as good as advertised he shouldn't have much a problem being ahead of say .. Hopkins , on the depth chart . And if he's better than we even hope for he might make a difference in actually winning games , boy thats a novel idea isn't it ... and this nonsense he hasnt practiced 5 on 5 ? Whats he doing ? other than coeds ? Shooting commercials ? signing up for the meal plans ? buying Books ? My good gracious this is ridiculous !!!!!

Sure I do! I have called this every step of the way. Just go look back at the Sharpe threads. Down to the fact he didn't even need to have actually graduated to be eligible for the draft. He just needed to show he had enough work completed before the start of the NBA season. I mentioned his camp, UK coaches and the NBA were all already aware of this. There is a reason I know so much! 😉
Dude , I looked at your posting history and you joined 26minutes ago and have 3 posts. ??????

“Players first” that means everything else, titles, banners, team goals, are all secondary. Not sure why this needs to be explained over & over ad nauseam. The sooner each individual on here reconciles that in their individual mind, the better the group will be. In other words…this is a “poster first” forum.

I’ve over it. I honestly believe that today, we would have finished the game with 4 guys if it came to that. I’m not complaining about today. I thought we held our own. TyTy going down was the difference. CBS showed him walking back to the locker room. Hell I thought he would get re-taped, change his shoes and be right back. Again, this being a players first program, he was held out the rest of the game.

Our biggest concern is consistent production at the 4. We cannot make a Final 4 run with Brooks/Toppin at the 4. Brooks, for obvious reasons, Toppin, just very inconsistent. So that worries me more than if some dude plays here or not.

We have a good team this year. 15-4 I am very happy with. I think we can finish strong, 23-6, hopefully win the SEC tourney, get a #2 or #3 seed and take our shot.

Have you watched Cal's offense? There isn't anything complicated about Cal's offense. He is non-stop yelling throughout the game telling his players and their opponent where he wants the ball and where he wants each player. So, give me a break with trying to convince me that Cal has a complicated offense. Confusing?? I will give you that. Most players leave UK still not knowing what the hell Cal was trying to do offensively.
Yeah if this is truly what you think goes on there is no point in debating either way. I could see a kid being ready that has spent a summer preparing or a kid that was at a school the entire first semester being ready to go second semester but 2 weeks is a pretty tall order. For those thinking otherwise I don’t know what to tell you. Two weeks to learn everything at this level is pretty unheard of.

Reactions: ORCAT and BigCat241
That offense you are ripping is ranked 4th in adjusted offensive efficiency. I don’t know if this is the year you want to go after his offense when it is the best in the conference and one of the best in the country.
A broken clock is right twice a day, but it doesn't work. Yes, the offense is working because we have extremely good guards and a beast under the basket. If the system is great, it should work year after year when you have some of the best talent in college basketball.

I'll try to work a legit question in here .. why hasnt Shape practiced yet ? Is there are known reason ? Not opinion , a real reason the guy hasnt laced them up yet .

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Yeah if this is truly what you think goes on there is no point in debating either way. I could see a kid being ready that has spent a summer preparing or a kid that was at a school the entire first semester being ready to go second semester but 2 weeks is a pretty tall order. For those thinking otherwise I don’t know what to tell you. Two weeks to learn everything at this level is pretty unheard of.
It is your right to keep wearing blinders. I just hope you take them off before you walk into something and hurt yourself.

A broken clock is right twice a day, but it doesn't work. Yes, the offense is working because we have extremely good guards and a beast under the basket. If the system is great, it should work year after year when you have some of the best talent in college basketball.

But it's not been right twice. It's been right the entire season lol. We are 4th in offense this year.

I don't agree about the system being great it should always work. At some point you needed talented players that either can execute or not execute.

There was no offensive system that was saving us last season lol.

Reactions: BigCat241
IMO we will see Sharpe vs Miss St...He's not going to throw him to the wolves..If we get a big lead I say we see Sharp for a few min.

But it's not been right twice. It's been right the entire season lol. We are 4th in offense this year.

I don't agree about the system being great it should always work. At some point you needed talented players that either can execute or not execute.

There was no offensive system that was saving us last season lol.
You are so short sighted that you are talking about games while I am talking about seasons.

I'll try to work a legit question in here .. why hasnt Shape practiced yet ? Is there are known reason ? Not opinion , a real reason the guy hasnt laced them up yet .
Makes no sense to me that 2.5 weeks into him being with the team he’s not going 5 on 5 yet. None.

Offensively, Sharpe would be fine right now. However, defense is also part of the game. If he gives us 10 points but gives up 15 due to losing his man on D, how exactly would that help us?

He's only been here two weeks. This is high level basketball not high school or AAU. If he hasn't seen the floor two weeks then I'll be with you and will even bring my own pitchfork.

• Haha
Reactions: ManitouDan
Offensively, Sharpe would be fine right now. However, defense is also part of the game. If he gives us 10 points but gives up 15 due to losing his man on D, how exactly would that help us?

He's only been here two weeks. This is high level basketball not high school or AAU. If he hasn't seen the floor two weeks then I'll be with you and will even bring my own pitchfork.
Dudes thats such a stretch it just cant be believed . Man to man D isn't Nuclear Physics .

Have you seen some of our players in there that still can't defend worth a damn?Hello Keion Brooks.

You are so short sighted that you are talking about games while I am talking about seasons.

Then lets talk about seasons

2010 = 22nd
2011 = 8th
2012 = 2nd
2013 = 38th
2014 = 14th
2015 = 6th
2016 = 9th
2017 = 12th
2018 = 24th
2019 = 14th
2020 = 24th
2021 = 84th
2022 = 4th

Those are the offensive adjected efficiency ranks under Cal. There's very few coaches in college basketball that have better marks than that consistently.

How many on here that actually doesn't think that Cal's players first attitude isn't a great recruiting tactic? Would he be better off telling them I don't care about your kid?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT