ADVERTISEMENT

Cal- Please start mixing up defenses

Kybluedude

All-SEC
Nov 19, 2005
This group struggles man to man. You keep using the term “demonstrated performance” and their m to m futility is demonstrated every single game. Stats bear it out. For God’s sake start mixing in some zones. We have depth, length and athletes.

You said last week you were thinking of using some zone. Let’s see it.

This particular team is just not a proficient 100% man to man team. Wishing it so isn’t working. It’s not gonna happen. Physically not capable. Lacking some physical strength and maturity.

Over and over there is dribble penetration and our rotation is out of whack. Layups and kick out threes. Can not defend the high ball screen this year. Can not get stops. Way too many easy baskets off straight line drives.

Do something different to help this particular squad. Combine the two defenses. Mix in a little bit of full court zone pressure now that we have some rim protection. Use the depth.

It’s not rocket science. They all played and know zones. Make the other team adjust their offense and go side to side occasionally rather than north south. Right now the scouting report on UK’s defense is one paragraph. Give the opponents something different to think about.

Do something different. I’m sure your assistants have experience with zones. Designate a d coordinator and delegate.

Don’t let this season slip away being stubborn. Accept and Adjust. The offense is there. Better defense is the key. Quit trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

So frustrated watching us get cooked on defense.

We had 7 pros out there last night and Fla maybe 1.

72-41 the last 4 years.

Do what’s right for THIS team! Cal said he was going to play some zone. Do it! Help these guys

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
It doesn't matter what defense we try to play we can't or won't defend. We play an entertaining style of basketball(as many here have wanted us to do for the past several years) The game last night was fun to watch but in the end what we can't/won't do beat us. We struggle in the half court game

Great post and one I don’t understand why more don’t see this when talking of our defensive woes. Opposing coaches know exactly what we are going to do defensively and get 3-4 days to prepare their team accordingly with the luxury of knowing cal will not do anything different. Cal does our guys zero favors with this (nonsensical) philosophy.

Reactions: Kybluedude
This group struggles man to man. You keep using the term “demonstrated performance” and their m to m futility is demonstrated every single game. Stats bear it out. For God’s sake start mixing in some zones. We have depth, length and athletes.

This particular team is just not a proficient 100% man to man team. Wishing it so isn’t working. It’s not gonna happen. Physically not capable. Lacking some physical strength and maturity.

Over and over there is dribble penetration and our rotation is out of whack. Layups and kick out threes. Can not defend the high ball screen this year. Can not get stops. Way too many easy baskets off straight line drives.

Do something different to help this particular squad. Combine the two defenses. Mix in a little bit of full court zone pressure now that we have some rim protection. Use the depth.

It’s not rocket science. They all played and know zones. Make the other team adjust their offense and go side to side occasionally rather than north south. Right now the scouting report on UK’s defense is one paragraph. Give the opponents something different to think about.

Do something different. I’m sure your assistants have experience with zones. Designate a d coordinator and delegate.

Don’t let this season slip away being stubborn. Accept and Adjust. The offense is there. Better defense is the key. Quit trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.
Preach it!!!! How you can sit and watch it over and over again from courtside and not have it compel you to try anything else is beyond me. I said in another thread man to man is hard in todays game because even 3 star guys can use the dribble to break you down IF YOU GIVE THEM SPACE. We are playing hard and trying but we cannot guard close enough without giving up space and we get broke down easily. And the worst part is we are WEARING OURSELVES OUT trying to do it!!!

For gods sake try an extended 3-2 matchup zone where you can still extend and guard man to man at the top and wings but without chasing through screens and fouling and fatiguing your guys). A zone doesnt mean you have to give up pressure, extend the zone and let your guys play a territory and then get after whoever is in that area. You could (as you pointed out) also trap out of that with your length and create tempo and some turnovers for some more easy transition offense.

But for heavens sake try something different because sticking with what your doing that isnt working and is not going to get better just by asking them to grind harder isnt going to end well.

Reactions: CatPhight
Preach it!!!! How you can sit and watch it over and over again from courtside and not have it compel you to try anything else is beyond me. I said in another thread man to man is hard in todays game because even 3 star guys can use the dribble to break you down IF YOU GIVE THEM SPACE. We are playing hard and trying but we cannot guard close enough without giving up space and we get broke down easily. And the worst part is we are WEARING OURSELVES OUT trying to do it!!!

For gods sake try an extended 3-2 matchup zone where you can still extend and guard man to man at the top and wings but without chasing through screens and fouling and fatiguing your guys). A zone doesnt mean you have to give up pressure, extend the zone and let your guys play a territory and then get after whoever is in that area. You could (as you pointed out) also trap out of that with your length and create tempo and some turnovers for some more easy transition offense.

But for heavens sake try something different because sticking with what your doing that isnt working and is not going to get better just by asking them to grind harder isnt going to end well.
Exactly. Well said.

What’s that saying?

If you keep doing what your doing you’ll keep getting what you’re getting.

Maybe hire a guy like Don Kelbick to teach the match up zone to the team - like a defensive coordinator- that way you can still have man & zone principal’s- just to switch things up our guys looked very poorly coached
No way athletic kids like we have should be this bad

calipari-defense.png

• Haha
Reactions: mattrudd and CROCAT
Cal being so stubborn that he refuses to coach zone defenses just doesn’t make sense to me. With the roster turnover we have every year you would think he would adapt strategically to whatever suits each team he has the best.

Lol. Cal was just trolling the Bennies when he said he MIGHT play some zone.

Lol. Cal was just trolling the Bennies when he said he MIGHT play some zone.
If Stoops stuck with a man to man defense when a player was struggling to defend a WR, people would lose their minds, but it’s ok for Cal to do it. lol

Don't do it Cal, the defense is mixed up enough as it is, please don't confuse them anymore.

Just saying…..if I was the coach of a bunch of freshmen who’ve never played together, don’t know how to talk to each other on the court, and never had to stop bigger stronger men, then I would 100% be a zone defense coach.

I’ve been saying it for years. I honestly don’t think cal has ever heard of a 2/3 zone. I don’t think he’s ever heard of a full court press. Guy makes 10 million a year and has no clue what those things are.

And before you come at me with the bull crap statement of teams getting hot and killing is with threes while we’re in a zone, THEYRE ALREADY DOING THAT.

Cal would have atleast two more titles if he would just hire someone that knew how to coach defense. If he had slick Rick with him on the sideline I dont think they’d lose a game.
We all know his ego is way to large for something like that though.

You know Cal isn’t going to let fans tell him how to play his team. You got to try a different approach, like, “Cal, please play man to man all season”. Then he might be like, “What? This fan trying to tell me to play man to man. I better play zone”. Try some reverse psychology. Cal may be just dumb enough to fall for it.

Just saying…..if I was the coach of a bunch of freshmen who’ve never played together, don’t know how to talk to each other on the court, and never had to stop bigger stronger men, then I would 100% be a zone defense coach.

I’ve been saying it for years. I honestly don’t think cal has ever heard of a 2/3 zone. I don’t think he’s ever heard of a full court press. Guy makes 10 million a year and has no clue what those things are.

And before you come at me with the bull crap statement of teams getting hot and killing is with threes while we’re in a zone, THEYRE ALREADY DOING THAT.

Cal would have atleast two more titles if he would just hire someone that knew how to coach defense. If he had slick Rick with him on the sideline I dont think they’d lose a game.
We all know his ego is way to large for something like that though.
Agree. Delegate the defenses (with an s) your assistants. All of them are experienced in other systems and coaches with good and various backgrounds.

You obviously got quality offensive help from Coach Welch do the same with defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakerz
There's a better chance that a life killing comet will slam into earth in the next 2 months than Calipari playing a zone for more than 2 minutes per game.

Nah...look I get it. You guys have fantasized that 2-3 is this mystical defense that confuses and stops everyone. It's why Boeheim won 1 championship in 50 years with it.

But here's a reality...uk has a bad defense. But what's killing them, other than rebounding which is them not blocking out?......UNCONTESTED THREES.

So do you want to run 2-3 to invite people to shoot more OR push everything into the paint. Ugo has proven he can contest and is formidable in the middle, then play up, don't switch, force everyone to shoot over him. If they score okay, but we have the best offense in the country. It's fine as long as we stop giving up record amount of 3's to everyone wide open...bc as we saw last night...A complete streak shooter..who has his most attempts on the year in both games against uk...hit last night, he didn't the first time.

Imagine if the fanbase's dreamboat, Reed, was in front of him for atleast one of his makes and made him put the ball on the floor, give it up, or to shoot a 2.

There's a better chance that a life killing comet will slam into earth in the next 2 months than Calipari playing a zone for more than 2 minutes per game.
He won’t do it for the simple fact that he thinks it will hurt the players in transitioning to the pros. You almost forget we’re the best college basketball program of all time. The draft is more important

Nah...look I get it. You guys have fantasized that 2-3 is this mystical defense that confuses and stops everyone. It's why Boeheim won 1 championship in 50 years with it.

But here's a reality...uk has a bad defense. But what's killing them, other than rebounding which is them not blocking out?......UNCONTESTED THREES.

So do you want to run 2-3 to invite people to shoot more OR push everything into the paint. Ugo has proven he can contest and is formidable in the middle, then play up, don't switch, force everyone to shoot over him. If they score okay, but we have the best offense in the country. It's fine as long as we stop giving up record amount of 3's to everyone wide open...bc as we saw last night...A complete streak shooter..who has his most attempts on the year in both games against uk...hit last night, he didn't the first time.

Imagine if the fanbase's dreamboat, Reed, was in front of him for atleast one of his makes and made him put the ball on the floor, give it up, or to shoot a 2.
It’s not playing strictly zone just mixing them in. And there’s plenty of zones other than a 2 3.

Just stop the straight line penetration off ball screens. Make them go side to side rather than north south.
Give the opponents something to think about.

We are like a MLB pitcher with just a fastball. Get a secondary go to.

^^^^^

Mix?

We can't play ONE TYPE OF DEFENSE WELL..............we gonna play better defense with multiple looks? lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT