ADVERTISEMENT

Cal Needs The Most Elite Talent

The times, they are changing. Bringing in top talent and then refilling the roster with top recruiting talent the next year isn’t the best option anymore. With the new era of the portal, we need to recruit the top talent there too and not try to fill every class with freshmen.

And then he has about a 14% chance of a title.

Teams that had elite talent imo

2012 won title
2020 no tourney so not counting this team.
I think UK has won a title less than 5 % of the time since the school has been in existence. Duke is under 5%. Not defending Cal, but when a person takes the stance at the beginning of each season that we won't win a title, they'll be right about 95% of the time.

Isn't that higher than out historical rate of winning a title? I think UK has won a title less than 5 % of the time since the school has been in existence. Duke is under 5%. Not defending Cal, but when a person takes the position that we won't win a title every year, they'll be right about 95% of the. time.
Well 14% of when he has elite talent. 6% overall if we don’t win it this year during his time. Idk if that’s higher than what UK has won or not. Wasn’t really thinking about that.

2012 won title

If he wins in 2015 or 2014 or 2010 it makes a world of difference. Doesn't change much in the present but overall legacy.

He has to have elite freshmen talent and some key returning veterans. We haven't had that combo in years.

If he wins in 2015 or 2014 or 2010 it makes a world of difference. Doesn't change much in the present but overall legacy.

He has to have elite freshmen talent and some key returning veterans. We haven't had that combo in years.
If he had gotten one or especially two more, I’d be a lot more understanding. I’m not being understanding now.

The fact that the NCAA and the refs hate him is reason enough for us to want him to move on. They're not gonna let him win another title. The one that burns me the most is the 2 fouls they gave Fox before the first TV timeout against UNC. They completely took him out of the first half and it cost us the game. I think that game was the only thing keeping us from a title. I think Higgins gave Fox at least one if not both fouls. Just sickening and it was planned IMO. There there's Higgins' calls against UCONN, the shot clock violation that wasnt against Wisconsin, on and on.

Cal’s system has its limitations (mainly the man himself), but it absolutely needs top of the line talent. We’re talking the top pick with multiple lotto picks. This is UK’s draft stats the last three seasons, compare that to the early years and boy what a difference.

22. Isaiah Jackson
51. BJ Boston

29. Ty Ty Washington

***I am not including Shaedon Sharpe, but if you care to he was drafted the highest at 7

10. Cason Wallace
58. Chris Livingston

So, Cal can’t even hang his hat on guys getting drafted anymore. The highest pick he has had the last three years, sat the bench.

Reactions: CROCAT
Everyone on this board is over analyzing the situation.

He is lazy and set in his ways. He has nothing to prove. He has gotten soft. He is resting on his laurels, as they say.

The players are a reflection of the coach.

To be fair most 64 year Olds are lazy at their jobs and dont have rhe fire they had even 5 to 10 years ago. Most have one eye on retirement. Cal needs to retire.

The fact that the NCAA and the refs hate him is reason enough for us to want him to move on. They're not gonna let him win another title. The one that burns me the most is the 2 fouls they gave Fox before the first TV timeout against UNC. They completely took him out of the first half and it cost us the game. I think that game was the only thing keeping us from a title. I think Higgins gave Fox at least one if not both fouls. Just sickening and it was planned IMO. There there's Higgins' calls against UCONN, the shot clock violation that wasnt against Wisconsin, on and on.
So I guess Tennessee not shooting a free throw from the 10:23 mark of the second half until the 2:13 mark (when UK started intentionally fouling) is because the refs hate Cal? 🙄
Or that atrocious quadruple technical foul called when after the whistle #0 slapped the arms of the Tennessee player then punched the ball out of his hand followed by #23 shoving him with 2 hands in his back? 🙄
Yeah they just hate Cal 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: NociHTTP
So I guess Tennessee not shooting a free throw from the 10:23 mark of the second half until the 2:13 mark (when UK started intentionally fouling) is because the refs hate Cal? 🙄
Or that atrocious quadruple technical foul called when after the whistle #0 slapped the arms of the Tennessee player then punched the ball out of his hand followed by #23 shoving him with 2 hands in his back? 🙄
Yeah they just hate Cal 🤦‍♂️
You ok? My examples were all tournament examples. I said nothing about last night. ZIP. Was Higgins reffing? Nope.

UT was a regular season game (where UT excels best, not the tourmament were they are a laughing stock).

Enjoy your NCAA investigation, Rocky Flop boy.

To be fair most 64 year Olds are lazy at their jobs and dont have rhe fire they had even 5 to 10 years ago. Most have one eye on retirement. Cal needs to retire.
I’m 51 and in the same boat, but I haven’t made 9 million a year for the past 15 years or so. I know I am past my prime. 27 years of teaching. I need to retire, but I can’t do it financially because I take a big cut if I retire before 55.

Cal doesn’t have to do this. If he doesn’t have the fire, why is he still doing it?

If it’s money, he is one greedy sonuvagun.

He was hired to win championships, SEC, NCAA, putting players in the pros means nothing to most Kentucky fans. The fact that he has a bunch of players in the NBA and won only one championship stands out as underachieving with the tools he has and the money he is paid. Yet he still talks about his players in the NBA on a daily basis. He should be an agent for players or something along those lines because the college game is kicking his ass now.

You ok? My examples were all tournament examples. I said nothing about last night. ZIP. Was Higgins reffing? Nope.

UT was a regular season game (where UT excels best, not the tourmament were they are a laughing stock).

Enjoy your NCAA investigation, Rocky Flop boy.
The fact that the NCAA and the refs hate him is reason enough for us to want him to move on.

That is your first sentence. Your examples are irrelevant when you make a blanket statement like that.

With that said you still can’t answer as to why when hated so much, Kentucky gets that kind of whistle. Of course you can’t.

The fact that the NCAA and the refs hate him is reason enough for us to want him to move on.

That is your first sentence. Your examples are irrelevant when you make a blanket statement like that.

With that said you still can’t answer as to why when hated so much, Kentucky gets that kind of whistle. Of course you can’t.

Are they having a parade today an Arm Pit Knoxville?

Every instance I detailed is very valid. You probably missed those games as you don't watch the tournament past the first two days since your Vols always suck.

Well 14% of when he has elite talent. 6% overall if we don’t win it this year during his time. Idk if that’s higher than what UK has won or not. Wasn’t really thinking about that.
I have never been intrigued with the one and done.
It isn't working here and K didn't win another title when he copied Cal.
We are no longer a team that a home loss is a rarity.
It's like a nightmare remake of Groundhog day.

7 guys in this upcoming all-star game and only 1 championship. And if 2012 had been 5 minutes longer that game would have been lost.
To me, that really doesn’t prove much. Tell me how many post-season All-Americans Calipari has had (or even just All-Conference) and then you’ll get my attention. Tell me he’s had a national player of the year and can’t get out of the first weekend of the Tournament, and you’ve really got me thinking about what is wrong with this guy. But just saying he has had 7 NBA All-Stars tells me nothing. I mean, it is more important that telling me most of the players under Calipari liked Coke instead of Pepsi, but neither really answers the question: Did Calipari have the best team or – not as important, but still relevant – even the best players WHILE THEY WERE AT UK AND IN COMPARISON TO WHO ELSE WAS PLAYING COLLEGE BASKETBALL AT THE SAME TIME. And by “best” I mean players that have the most impact on winning games now – NOT future NBA all-stars, draft picks or #1 recruiting rankings.

I think you and I probably agree on Calipari's results not being good enough at a program like UK, but I suspect we likely have a different idea about why?

If he had gotten one or especially two more, I’d be a lot more understanding. I’m not being understanding now.
The reason he doesn’t have more than one title is the same reason he can’t win now.

He’s the one constant. He is just not an in-game coach, never has been, and never will be.

Being a coach is roughly 70-75% recruiting thus the success Cal has had. 6 final fours and 1 title. A lot of talent and not much else.

Most of the apologists can’t bear the thot of not having top recruiting classes. Hey I understand that. But don’t think it’s ever going to get Cal and the Cats over the hump. It’s just not in him.

Last edited:
To be honest that 2012 team won in of Cal, look at the teams this man has had here and at Umass and Memphis and he only has 1 championship to show for it.
But outside of 2012 (more so the latter half of the season) and 2015, I've never though UK had the best team. Good enough a number of times, sure. But my biggest complaint against Calipari is "why haven't you built better teams with all the juice that comes from a program like UK's?"

But outside of 2012 (more so the latter half of the season) and 2015, I've never though UK had the best team. Good enough a number of times, sure. But my biggest complaint against Calipari is "why haven't you built better teams with all the juice that comes from a program like UK's?"
I would say because he is usually starting from close to scratch each year. He usually has a new roster because of the revolving door culture he has built here .

To be honest that 2012 team won in of Cal, look at the teams this man has had here and at Umass and Memphis and he only has 1 championship to show for it.
Umass just had Camby, honestly. Cal was good back then …was considered a great young coach . Beat Pitino and our ‘96 superteam early in that season , and hung with them in the FF later . It’s the last 5 yrs with Cal where something’s gone wrong

Reactions: ukfan1622
I would say because he is usually starting from close to scratch each year. He usually has a new roster because of the revolving door culture he has built here .
Even when he brings guys back, it doesn’t matter.

He had the NPOY returning last year along with several other key players and barely won a game in the tourney.

I’m tired of the excuses.

It’s the coaching, not the players.

There's more to the equation than just talent/recruitment....but to each his own. At the end of the day, I think its painful to watch your state school lose games with above avg talent on the team. Did Dillingham have 35 points?

Reeves did some good too, but our post players are just not working like they should.

2012 won title
Duh, he has elite talent....top one or two recruiting class for 15 years....so what are you suggesting....start recruiting the NBA??

Umass just had Camby, honestly. Cal was good back then …was considered a great young coach . Beat Pitino and our ‘96 superteam early in that season , and hung with them in the FF later . It’s the last 5 yrs with Cal where something’s gone wrong
Umass had more than Camby, but Rick out coached Cal in that game.

COVID, the portal & NIL changed college basketball and not to UKs benefit. Pre-COVID Cal got elite Freshman talent and won with it. Losing in the elite 8 may not bring banner #9 but it a successful season and Cal was still brining those until COVID. But when the game returned a fifth COVID year came with it. And freshmen were then even younger than older teams.

And it also came a with a free pass to transfer that never left. That portal has concentrated older talent. It's like relegation in European soccer. Better players who were underrated in HS or who developed in college move up to the top conferences and those who wash out move down. So a kid who was overlooked is no longer stuck in a small school so they can go to UT or UH or Auburn and make those teams elite.

And NIL only made that even more true. No matter how much money UK can offer the number of spots is finite and the NIL cash thus again concentrates talent.

The result is there are more teams able to match up talent wise to UKs ultra-talented freshman classes. The crappy teams are even more crappy because they lose their surprise stars, but the former second and third tier teams are now in an expanded top tier.

Cal hasn't changed. He still gets elite freshman. But with concentrated talent there are more elite non-freshman dominated teams. And that ain't changing.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT