ADVERTISEMENT

Cal is officially gone - video message to BBN

It is sad. I'm glad he's leaving. But I will always miss 2009-2015 Cal. Always. He was fun, energetic, and the perfect coach for UK.

Bittersweet day. Excited for the future, but sad that we never got back to where we were under early Cal.

This is my exact thought.

I am excited about the future, but a little sad about how things with Cal ended. I didn’t hate the man and I thought he genuinely cared about his players. But at the end of the day, he is in a results-driven profession and recent results were not on par with his compensation.

I’ve been ready for him to leave for awhile now, but it is kind of sad to see it end this way. I transferred to UK during 2011 to see the FF drought end, I partied hard in 2012, 2014 tournament is probably my favorite string of games, 2015 was a wild ride, and 2017 is my favorite non-title team. I don’t know what happened, but it’s crazy to look at that and then look at the last 4 years. It was obviously time for an end, and I am glad we don’t have to worry about that buyout.
This. It's like a divorce. You still remember good times, and have regrets. Cal was the last coach my dad and mom knew before they passed so, getting a new one is going to be tough for me because, I'll want to tell them about the big changes.

And I always had hope he would turn it around and I bear no shame in that. I've been angry with him the last few seasons, but still always held a little hope that he could get it done.

So, yeah, I'm a little sad today for various reasons.

I am as frustrated at the last few years and as happy that he is moving on as anyone on this board. But danged if that didn’t choke me up just a little bit.
Yep, I did tear up a bit. Because it's really the end now. And while that's a good thing, he was here FIFTEEN YEARS. Gonna be a bit weird not seeing him on the sidelines for awhile.

But it's time. It was past time. I'm just sad it ended like this. Wanted him to grab a second title and ride off into the sunset.....for both him and UK.

Such a bittersweet moment for me. Cal came in and made UK exciting again. He made us the most visible college teams again after some subpar years under Tubby and Gillispie. It was time for a new face and a new voice for the program but there are many things Cal did that I am thankful for and the message to the fans is more than most fans get. I respect it.

Well hell. Sad about it. Silent room type shit.
Why didnt you just win a couple games man?
U finish 40-0 and you were here for life truly.
Almost the Greatest but not quite son! Straight man to man was your Achilles heel my friend Caliparian.

This. It's like a divorce. You still remember good times, and have regrets. Cal was the last coach my dad and mom knew before they passed so, getting a new one is going to be tough for me because, I'll want to tell them about the big changes.

And I always had hope he would turn it around and I bear no shame in that. I've been angry with him the last few seasons, but still always held a little hope that he could get it done.

Yep. 2 of my 3 kids were born after Cal became coach. He is all they have known as UK fans. Definitely going to be a bit weird for a while but it's time for a fresh start for everyone.

Reposted in better quality

Happy Birthday Love GIF by Mo Willems Workshop

Reactions: GridCats
Cool of him to do the video, he didn’t have to. I didn’t like what he had become these last 5 years but are appreciative of what he did in his first 10
💯

We had some great times with Cal. But it's time. I'm happy he went out this way. He saved us 33 million dollars when he didn't have to. I can't say I wish him luck, but I don't wish him any ill either. Good bye Cal!

Well.....crap. Now I can't hate him. I actually appreciate that he didn't make us pay him 33 mil to leave and took the time to say goodbye. He has my respect. I'll still cheer like hell against him when Arky comes to town though.

This is definitely a bittersweet day. Cal took us from a very bad place and brought back excitement that had been missing since Pitino left. He embraced the job like no other. He became an ambassador for the state and did the little things to help people in need. I hope one day that he will be welcomed back and consider Kentucky his home.

It was time to move on for both sides.

What’s the new name gonna be? bbndrew02?

The saddest part of that video and this entire situation is the fact that the Cal UK hired 15 years ago DIMINISHED to what we saw right there now.

The Cal from 15 years ago would have ADAPTED to the college game by being the INNOVATOR that Danny Hurley is NOW. That was the Cal we ALL wanted to return, he just couldn't allow his ENORMOUS EGO to admit it. Now he is taking a step DOWN to try again somewhere that is so desperate to be relevant again that they are willing to take BROKEN DOWN version of Cal.

So, if we couldn't get the OLD Cal back, this was the best for EVERYONE.

I have always been called a Cal slurper or Cal cultist and I did support the man until the end. It wasn’t that I worshiped Cal , it’s just I was hoping he could turn it around and leave on better terms. I admittedly had a longer leash than most. I am UK through and through, but I will never forget the great memories made with my now 23 year old son watching so many good and exciting Cal coached teams. It’s all he has ever known and it was a heck of a run. Now let’s go get someone to carry on the tradition and make new memories!

Last edited:
The saddest part of that video and this entire situation is the fact that the Cal UK hired 15 years ago DIMINISHED to what we saw right there now.

The Cal from 15 years ago would have ADAPTED to the college game by being the INNOVATOR that Danny Hurley is NOW. That was the Cal we ALL wanted to return, he just couldn't allow his ENORMOUS EGO to admit it.

So, if we couldn't get the OLD Cal back, this was the best for EVERYONE.
As I've thought many times when loved ones passed, "Either they come back whole, or they go home."

It was time.

Reactions: catben
I have always been called a Cal slurper or Cal cultist and I did support the man until the end. It wasn’t that I worshiped Cal , it’s just I was hoping he could turn it around and leave on better terms. I admittedly hang a longer leash than most. I am UK through and through, but I will never forget the great memories made with my 23 year old son watching so many good and exciting Cal coached teams. It’s all he as ever known and it was a heck of a run. Now let’s go get someone to carry on the tradition and make new memories!
I was a Cal dude up until the last three years or so, still took up for him a few times since then when he did good things.

It was just time to go.

Now, we all need to somewhat come together and get behind the next coach (until he starts sucking lol)

Very nice message. Now Mitch, go get us the coach we need and please no more buyouts favorable to the coach like the one we just escaped.

Reactions: delk4three
I must be overly cynical
I’m not sad and I’m not sympathetic
The man tried to pull some shady stuff if what Dick Gabriel said was true
and that video? Of course he looks sad
But I wont believe it’s anything but an act

So please forgive me y’all. I’m just happy it’s over

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT