ADVERTISEMENT

Cal is officially gone - video message to BBN

It genuinely seems like a heartfelt message, but I keep coming back to "why do this now at the end instead of just committing to change and preparing for the future?" All BBN needed was a message like this with a commitment to make the necessary changes and put the program first again. I'm not sad he's leaving, but it's disappointing that this could've been avoided had he agreed to at LEAST make an effort to revamp his philosophy.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
There will come a time Cal comes back to Lexington and is honored. Too soon now and let it blow over a year or so, we do appreciate his time here and thanks for not stealing 33 million on the way out.

There will come a time Cal comes back to Lexington and is honored. Too soon now and let it blow over a year or so, we do appreciate his time here and thanks for not stealing 33 million on the way out.
Well, he is likely coming back to Rupp next year if ARK comes to UK so we all better be ready to see him soon.

Genuinely sad to see the end of the Calipari era – especially HOW it ended. I never had a good UKMBB team to root for until we hired Cal. So, I got to enjoy the best UK basketball since Pitino all through the halcyon days of my young adulthood.

That goodbye was the realest he's been with the fans in years, and I think it's the relief of knowing it's over. Nothing will ever come close to his first six years at Kentucky, and hopefully nothing comes close to his last five. Both UK and Calipari needed a fresh start. I hope we both come away from the split all the better for it.

Now Mitch, don't f--- this up.

Reactions: RunninRichie
He's "dead" and gone man. It's time to let all of the anger and hate go. For our sakes.

I wish it could be that way, but if Tubby’s departure taught us anything, Cal’s name will be constantly disparaged until another coach gets us to the top of the mountain.

I liked my career until I didn't. So, I retired. I suspect Calipari isn't sold on re-starting at Arkansas. So, there's been no announcement.

Retire, Cal. Don't be an old coach.

Reactions: TheDude73
I wish it could be that way, but if Tubby’s departure taught us anything, Cal’s name will be constantly disparaged until another coach gets us to the top of the mountain.
There's a difference on talking about how Cal did, versus, ever thread turning into the anger Cal brought or bashing Cal every breath. The time for that truly is done.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
There's a difference on talking about how Cal did, versus, ever thread turning into the anger Cal brought or bashing Cal every breath. The time for that truly is done.
Cal is just the latest and the local grist. The addiction is to throwing a tantrum.

I liked my career until I didn't. So, I retired. I suspect Calipari isn't sold on re-starting at Arkansas. So, there's been no announcement.

Retire, Cal. Don't be an old coach.
I actually and fully believe that is what we're going to hear this week. I think Cal will bail on Arkansas and retire. He's probably gotten tons of calls from CBS or ESPN to be a talking head.

Mixed emotions about this. On one hand, he was well past his prime as a coach but on the other hand, he is also the best Kentucky coach in my lifetime. Having been a fan since the late Tubby Smith era, I had not seen the successful program that my father and grandfather had watched over the years. Cal brought us to heights not reached by Kentucky in a long time (2010 with Wall and Cousins, the return to the FF in 2011, the NC in 2012, the miracle run in 2014, the absolute dominance of the 2015 squad to name a few). Best of luck to him. Time to move on, start fresh, and find our next head coach.

It genuinely seems like a heartfelt message, but I keep coming back to "why do this now at the end instead of just committing to change and preparing for the future?" All BBN needed was a message like this with a commitment to make the necessary changes and put the program first again. I'm not sad he's leaving, but it's disappointing that this could've been avoided had he agreed to at LEAST make an effort to revamp his philosophy.
Maybe he felt like he had lost the fan base and could never get them back. I don't know. Maybe he is just stubborn and doesn't want to change his approach so it's better to leave than butt heads all the time. It's hard to say.

F Kals message. Let’s get to rockin with a new coach.
What an ass.... you need, as do others on this board need to show some class. Usually that's something that is instilled by our parents, but when you're sitting in their basements after a long day at the middle school playing Fortnite you might not have that opportunity to learn that quality. I was not happy with the way things have gone the last several years and was looking for a change, however, that being said it doesn't cost anything to show a little class. I'll sit and wait until you've finished your homework to give me a juvenile response.

Watching this video, I genuinely think Cal did not want to leave. I think he misread the room so to speak and as this played out he backed himself into a corner with no way out.

Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.

I think Cal just evolved into a stubborn shell of himself, shut people out, refused to listen and had to show everyone he was right. I think Cal is going to regret this regardless of how it works out at Arkansas. Cal battled his whole life to prove he belonged and once he got there (UK), he had to still show everyone they were wrong for doubting or criticizing him. I truly believe UK was and still is his dream job when he sits down and reflects on where he is.

I have been very negative and hard on Coach Cal, especially this year.

Watching that video was what I imagine going through a divorce would be like. It’s the right time to separate but you can’t help but pause and remember that there were some really good times together.

Thanks for 2010-2015, Coach Cal. Pure class on that video.

Go Big Blue! Great days ahead.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT