ADVERTISEMENT

Cal is officially gone - video message to BBN

Season 4 Dancing GIF by The Office

This is how he goes out. A 3 minute video in his living room. Sad.
I’ve been ready for him to leave for awhile now, but it is kind of sad to see it end this way. I transferred to UK during 2011 to see the FF drought end, I partied hard in 2012, 2014 tournament is probably my favorite string of games, 2015 was a wild ride, and 2017 is my favorite non-title team. I don’t know what happened, but it’s crazy to look at that and then look at the last 4 years. It was obviously time for an end, and I am glad we don’t have to worry about that buyout.

It is sad. I'm glad he's leaving. But I will always miss 2009-2015 Cal. Always. He was fun, energetic, and the perfect coach for UK.

Bittersweet day. Excited for the future, but sad that we never got back to where we were under early Cal.
I'll always remember 2009-2017 fondly. I hope in a few years we can welcome Cal back. Just not right now.

I don't wish Cal any ill will. He was great there for a while and I won't forget it. Sounds like he finally realized the program is bigger than him. I'm ready for a new direction and for being ran like a college beasketball team is supposed to.

This is how he goes out. A 3 minute video in his living room. Sad.
Be bigger than this. He said more, and said it more gracefully than most coaches do on departure. In an era when Self, Pitino and Roy Williams created scandals that disgraced their programs, he ran a very clean operation for 15 years. And he did some tangible good for the state.

And it's not like he's "going out" to live at the shelter. He's moving on to a job where his one-year salary is about as much as most of us make over a 30-year career. If that is sad, a lot of people could use some 'sad' in their lives.

Last edited:
Be bigger than this. He said more things and gracefully than most coaches do on departure. And it's not like he's "going out" to live at the shelter. He's moving on to a job where his one-year salary is about as much as most of us make over a 30-year career.
I am. I'm saying it's sad how this is ending. So much mis-direction, reports. Couldnt even end it with a press conference. I think his message was classy and clear. He deserved a presser to end things I think.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT