ADVERTISEMENT

Is Cal The Perfect Villain?

100000%, he may not be a villain but he sure as shit is trying to purposely go after every player that is leaked thats been contacted by Kentucky. Make no mistake, beating UK is his number goal going forward.
I read here that he can't coach. So no worries.

I Miss You Hello GIF by Susanne Lamb

Reactions: catzfanjim and UK90
We don't need to make him the enemy. Don't need to boo him at Rupp. He did great things for the program and the state and his jersey will be retired and hanging in the rafters one day. I know it's a sensitive subject right now with our recruiting class following him but that's typical of any coach leaving. I wish he would've taken a job outside of the SEC but other than that I wish him well. Go Cats.

It's all come full circle.

In 2009, Cal was the dark hero with a checkered past whose arrogance and brashness was a perfect fit for this program at a time when it was looking like a relic, while our former coach up the road had his program on the cusp of a title.

Cal pummeled our former biggest villian, the formerly beloved Rick Pitino, into submission. Cal terrorized Pitino so much Rick's program resorted to underage hookers as a recruiting tool, participated in pay for play schemes and Rick wound up getting fired.

Skip forward 7 years, Cal's success fell off, brash and bold turned into standoffish and grumpy, and the fans were sick of him with more joining the anti side with each passing disappointing season. He left in the middle of the night in April for a conference foe. UK hired a Pitino-era player as coach. Pitino endorsed the hire. Ex-Pitino guys started showing up around the program again.

Rick Pitino is now a babyface, and John Calipari is top BBN heel. I wouldn't have belived that in 2015, never in a million years.
It is funny how that swung full circle. Now we’re loving Pitino and hating Calipari.

Who could’ve imagined that turn of events a decade ago?

You can dislike his results and style but I am bothered by the framing of Cal as a villain. You can cheer against him and not think he was the right coach for us anymore but the villain thing is irrational nonsense.

I don't think he fits the role of villain at all. Quite the opposite in fact. I will lay it out using only facts. Please let me know where any of you disagree.

1. Rupp Rafters posters wanted him out and he left. He gave them what they want = they should be thanking him

2. Rupp Rafters posters were tired of the "one and dones". He took those players with him to Arkansas, so again he gave that group of fans what they want = they should be thanking him

3. Arkansas has been a strong program. The Cal haters say he cannot coach and he runs programs into the ground. By this logic, he has weakened a strong opponent in Arkansas by going there = they should be thanking him

4. He brought us a national title in his stint here = Thank you

5. Lots of recognizable stars and rising stars in basketball (some of the biggest in the game) are forever connected to Kentucky. This was not really the case before Cal. = Thank you

6. I am told we are recruiting "different kids now". Not all the 5 star Mcdonads guys. If that is the case we will not be recruiting against each other. He will just take kids that could have gone to UNC, Kansas, and Duke, thus weakening them. = Thank you.

7. Side note that many don't like to discuss, he also did a lot for the people of Kentucky and raised and gave literally millions of dollars to the state including during times of great tragedy in Kentucky. = Thank you

8. His kids he recruited did not engage in nefarious criminal activity and were good citizens, and good ambassadors and by all accounts just good kids while here and after. During Cal's time here, Duke, UNC, Kansas, Louisville and Alabama all had their share of sketchy kids and criminal activities perpetrated by players in their programs. For bringing good quality kids into our program = Thank you.

I honestly don't see the case for a villain at all.
At the end of the day, regardless of what you believe, it's all opinion and everyone is entitled to how they feel about it. I for one, am glad he is gone and wish to move forward, but I agree I don't think he is like a bad guy, just not a good fit any longer. Of course, fanhood never is rational

We don't need to make him the enemy. Don't need to boo him at Rupp. He did great things for the program and the state and his jersey will be retired and hanging in the rafters one day. I know it's a sensitive subject right now with our recruiting class following him but that's typical of any coach leaving. I wish he would've taken a job outside of the SEC but other than that I wish him well. Go Cats.
Yikes, you sir are far too reasonable at a time like this.

Don't you realize everyone who is not with you at the moment is the embodiment of evil?

Reactions: postmodernprimate
Cal is 65, he won’t be doing this much longer. I would not be surprised if he jumps to the NBA in a year or 2. It would be quite funny if an NBA team hired him away this offseason

Fwiw, I agree. He’s not a villain.

But I also think UK fans that are still stan’ing for him while he’s now actively recruiting against us and taking our commits is pathetic.

He doesn’t coach here anymore. He’s coaching a conference rival now.

Reactions: thedahc
Fwiw, I agree. He’s not a villain.

But I also think UK fans that are still stan’ing for him while he’s now actively recruiting against us and taking our commits is pathetic.

He doesn’t coach here anymore. He’s coaching a conference rival now.
I was just saying that exact point. He is not a villain. I'm thankful for his time here and hope we beat him everytime we play him kinda like we did with Pitino.

Reactions: Bluegrassking
Strange that you have this GIF ready to go at a moment's notice. Almost like it might be in a favorites folder of yours or something......

I googled “deep throat” on my phone and clicked on “images”. It was like the 5th or 6th result. Technology is crazy huh?

He’s not a villain he’s just an asshole.
I think he’s an arrogant maniac, I don’t think he’s an asshole, he’s a kind person.

I don’t think BBN will grow to hate Cal, but he is a villain right now, he won’t be forever.

He’s a competitor and he wants to out compete us specifically and shine in his new job. He will be motivated and try harder than he was going to in year 16 here, he will have unlimited money to offer players.

I still think the game of basketball has passed him by and that he will still have some hang-ons to how he likes to do things that all the talent in the world isn’t going to fix. I think he will lose 10+ games a year for 3-4 seasons and then retire, and identify his career as being the National Champion at Kentucky while supporting us from afar.

He was grossly overpaid and intentionally did not try to win as a number one priority. Rather it was promoting his precious one and dones by playing them when they did not deserve it . He did not have loyalty to UK or Big Blue Nation. He is a jerk

Agreed. Not a villian. Probably accurate to say narcissistic and stubborn.

I'd also add:
VERY good recruiter.
but
Very AVERAGE-TO-BELOW-AVERAGE basketball coach.

You can dislike his results and style but I am bothered by the framing of Cal as a villain. You can cheer against him and not think he was the right coach for us anymore but the villain thing is irrational nonsense.

I don't think he fits the role of villain at all. Quite the opposite in fact. I will lay it out using only facts. Please let me know where any of you disagree.

1. Rupp Rafters posters wanted him out and he left. He gave them what they want = they should be thanking him

2. Rupp Rafters posters were tired of the "one and dones". He took those players with him to Arkansas, so again he gave that group of fans what they want = they should be thanking him

3. Arkansas has been a strong program. The Cal haters say he cannot coach and he runs programs into the ground. By this logic, he has weakened a strong opponent in Arkansas by going there = they should be thanking him

5. Lots of recognizable stars and rising stars in basketball (some of the biggest in the game) are forever connected to Kentucky. This was not really the case before Cal. = Thank you

6. I am told we are recruiting "different kids now". Not all the 5 star Mcdonads guys. If that is the case we will not be recruiting against each other. He will just take kids that could have gone to UNC, Kansas, and Duke, thus weakening them. = Thank you.

7. Side note that many don't like to discuss, he also did a lot for the people of Kentucky and raised and gave literally millions of dollars to the state including during times of great tragedy in Kentucky. = Thank you

8. His kids he recruited did not engage in nefarious criminal activity and were good citizens, and good ambassadors and by all accounts just good kids while here and after. During Cal's time here, Duke, UNC, Kansas, Louisville and Alabama all had their share of sketchy kids and criminal activities perpetrated by players in their programs. For bringing good quality kids into our program = Thank you.

Your points are well thought out.
I never hated Cal, I just grew tired of the post season failures of the past few years.
The administration held themselves hostage and should count his leaving a blessing that saved them enough to pay for the 5 year contract that Pope signed. * Kinda like getting a coach for free. :)
Good job!
Signed,
Glad Cal's gone, but agree with your points.

I googled “deep throat” on my phone and clicked on “images”. It was like the 5th or 6th result. Technology is crazy huh?
Wait... you GOOGLED THAT and then looked through MULTIPLE results.....

Wow, that is not making it better.

not better GIF

I don't think he's a villain. In 15 years, people will look back on the fonder times Cal was here. Until he retires, he's the coach of a competitor. I hope we whip his butt.

I think he thinks he got a raw deal here and will definitely become a villain over the next few years.

As of now, like someone else said, he’s just an ass hole.

I think he’s an arrogant maniac, I don’t think he’s an asshole, he’s a kind person.

I don’t think BBN will grow to hate Cal, but he is a villain right now, he won’t be forever.

He’s a competitor and he wants to out compete us specifically and shine in his new job. He will be motivated and try harder than he was going to in year 16 here, he will have unlimited money to offer players.

I still think the game of basketball has passed him by and that he will still have some hang-ons to how he likes to do things that all the talent in the world isn’t going to fix. I think he will lose 10+ games a year for 3-4 seasons and then retire, and identify his career as being the National Champion at Kentucky while supporting us from afar.
I hate to tell you bub, but an egomaniac is an a$$hole.

Call him what you want, but he's a competitor to Kentucky and should be treated as such...until he's not. He can do the Pitino victory lap one day.

Why didn’t you just post this in the other “Is Cal a villain” thread?

There’s no need to have multiple threads with that same narrow theme.
A rebuttal like this would be seen by far fewer people if it was embedded in another thread.

I like it. I think it highlights some good points. Cal might've been stubborn, but at least he got out before he drove us completely into the ground.

• Torched our program
  • Held us hostage with buyout
  • Left for rival
  • Strong recruiter actively recruiting nearly all our targets.
It sucks but in a way I kind of dig it. We have a hero at the helm for the first time in a long time. But that would mean a little less if there wasn’t a serious villain for our hero to oppose.

Coach K is not stepping back on a court. I think the next few years will be a way more exciting era of Kentucky basketball than they would have been if Cal had just retired. Disappointment of a leader this decade at the least.

But I think he’ll make a wonderful villain.

What say you?
If he's determined to win, every opponent will be the victim.

Let it go, Brad.

I would love to just forget about Cal and move on. But you're living in a fantasy land if you think that's possible. If Cal is even moderately successful in his first year and Pope struggles, the media will have a field day with it, along with rival fans and the few KY fans that still support him. So even if we choose to let it go, they won't let us. We absolutely need to crush Cal and show that UK is bigger than any one coach and that Cal needed to go. And anyone would be naive as hell to think that Cal doesn't want to crush KY. He wants to prove the opposite and will likely work his ass off to do so. So yes, he's the enemy right now. Maybe one day when he retires we can sing kumbaya with him in Rupp. But for now,
Yippee Ki‐Yay asshole!

Reactions: qwesley
Wait... you GOOGLED THAT and then looked through MULTIPLE results.....

Wow, that is not making it better.

not better GIF

On the contrary. It made me laugh. Couple of funny ones in there. Some head scratchers. And a whole lot of girls eating bananas.

disclaimer: sense of humor required

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT