ADVERTISEMENT

Cal has recruited Quality Guys

MSU129

Junior
Dec 15, 2004
Not just on the court, but I've been impressed with the academic and personality quality of his recruits. Just thought this video was great with them taking it back to the Goonies.

I always gave Memphis hell for the types of recruits Cal had. Lots of issues on his Memphis teams, a lot like Kansas today.

I think Kentucky just changes things. You simply don't have to gamble here. If the coach is worth half a damn the job can succeed on it's own. Sad some of our own fans dismiss this.

Example of how much programs matter? Rick Pitino.

Need another example? 5 SEC titles, 4 elite eights, 5 sweet 16's, final four, national title, never missed the ncaa's.

That was Tubby Smith.

Case closed.

Cal is very lucky to have Kentucky, and we are lucky he understands that.

I always gave Memphis hell for the types of recruits Cal had. Lots of issues on his Memphis teams, a lot like Kansas today.

I think Kentucky just changes things. You simply don't have to gamble here. If the coach is worth half a damn the job can succeed on it's own. Sad some of our own fans dismiss this.

Need another example? 5 SEC titles, 4 elite eights, 5 sweet 16's, final four, national title, never missed the ncaa's.

That was Tubby Smith.

Case closed.

I agree. But you can also say his current salary is a bargain for what he brings to the table for UK.

Reactions: morgousky
He really has brought in good people. So many stories of these guys helping others out before, during, and after UK. My favorite story will always be when Fox invited his HS classmate, with cerebral palsy, over to meet Cal during a recruiting visit. Fox did it because he knew the guy was such a huge UK fan and it would make him happy. I think we'll hear some great stories about Fox in the coming years, as well as many other cats.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Played together one year. Went to NIT. Still good friends.

Cal at Memphis was trying to save kids. He definitely took a lot of questionable characters with good intentions. I firmly believe that. Here has been the master at getting good dudes here and the ones that may have had issues have been in line. Can really only think of Dodson as having made any kind of trouble?

Reactions: morgousky
I've always felt the great majority of UK players under Cal have been very high quality character guys. What they have done after leaving Kentucky only confers that. We are very lucky to have Cal at UK and vice versa.

That was Tubby Smith.

Case closed.

I don't think anyone has really dismissed it.

I agree. But you can also say his current salary is a bargain for what he brings to the table for UK.

There's no doubt. I wasn't trying to roast Cal or call him shady, as the below poster said Memphis recruiting is what it is. I know he was hard on a lot of those guys and probably deterred many possible incidences.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT