ADVERTISEMENT

Cal has another juggernaut team

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
It’s been awhile since Kentucky has had a team like this. What I noticed is two guys could have a bad night but they have enough weapons to still beat you by 20. It’s been a very long time since the program has had players like this and I believe this team will make a deep run in March. Kentucky Basketball is back!

We have the players. Have to learn to finish games consistently. Up 20 at the half and getting outscored in the second half tells me they took their foot off the gas a bit. I wouldn’t worry about that except the same issue nearly cost us the UNC game and certainly did the game against KU. We were more talented than both and both games looked like we could win going away. Let up in the second half and it cost us. I’ll chalk up the UNCW loss to a letdown game after the teams biggest win, which comes with inexperience.

It’s been awhile since Kentucky has had a team like this. What I noticed is two guys could have a bad night but they have enough weapons to still beat you by 20. It’s been a very long time since the program has had players like this and I believe this team will make a deep run in March. Kentucky Basketball is back!

If you had told me before the game that Wagner and Bradshaw would combine for 4 points, I would have been sweating a bit. But nope… still put up 95 lol.

Cal really needs to close the deal and bring that second title home with this bunch. He’s been close too many times. Needs that second one for his legacy and I don’t think he’s gonna have a better roster than this one.

Last edited:
The hallmark of any good Kentucky team is "any player can step up on any night."

And if you look at past teams that don't perform well, we might have 2, 3, 4 or 5 legitimately good players and supporting cast on a lower level. This was true even going back to Tubby teams that featured guys like Morris, Rondo, Crawford, Sparks, Bradley (on some nights) and then a pretty big drop off.

You know you have it when you starting counting into the 7-8-9-10 players who can legitimately impact a game at any position. These teams making runs in the tournament are the rule moreso than the exception looking back at Kentucky basketball history & Calipari's history.

They are 0.1 Pts away from having six guys average double figures, the last time that happened was the 2012 National Championship team……. The recepie for number 9
This.

And Bradshaw is over 8 a game as well, so he could realistically be another double digit scorer.

Have we ever had a team finish the season with seven guys averaging double digit points per game?

We have the players. Have to learn to finish games consistently. Up 20 at the half and getting outscored in the second half tells me they took their foot off the gas a bit. I wouldn’t worry about that except the same issue nearly cost us the UNC game and certainly did the game against KU. We were more talented than both and both games looked like we could win going away. Let up in the second half and it cost us. I’ll chalk up the UNCW loss to a letdown game after the teams biggest win, which comes with inexperience.
Second half was a waste of time ...

Reactions: deep3 and KFuqua
They are good for sure. Too early to call them a Juggernaut, though.
I agree. I like this team, a lot. But juggernaut teams win games they should by 40. Not find a way to lose to UNCheatW. This team might get that good. Good now, but not juggernaut.

‘10, ‘11, ‘12, ‘14, ‘15, ‘19, ‘20, ‘24

Those are Cal’s best at UK and Ill rank them:

‘15
‘12
‘24
‘10
‘14
‘11
‘19
‘20

This team can get UK back to the FF and can win it all.

I agree. I'm still trying to figure out the unc w game but it is what it is.
The UNCW game is when we started working a big in, and we happened to run into a team with legitimate 3 point shooters who negated our ability to run the floor.

The UNCW game is when we started working a big in, and we happened to run into a team with legitimate 3 point shooters who negated our ability to run the floor.
We we’re also minus Wagner and Ugonna and Bradshaw was tentative and limited.

Need to tighten up their defense and they will be hard to beat - go Cats!

Plus no DJ, which limited both our perimeter defense and our ability to get into our halfcourt offense through penetration. It was just a perfect storm. I don’t cut Cal any slack for losses like that, but that game was about as flukey as it gets.

Reactions: NociHTTP
So far, this team reminds me of Rupp's "Fiddlin Five." They will build a lead, fritter It away, and build it again.

Jury is still out on this team. They are an entertaining team to watch
( some here say we shouldn't dare to be entertained though). It makes us too entitled.

How much will this team continue to grow?
How will they react when they get punched in the mouth
on the road in the SEC?
Can they dictate the pace of a game?

A very good team to be sure, do they have the "it" factor?

Reactions: RunninRichie
Plus no DJ, which limited both our perimeter defense and our ability to get into our halfcourt offense through penetration. It was just a perfect storm. I don’t cut Cal any slack for losses like that, but that game was about as flukey as it gets.
I'd love to crush their little hearts in March.

Anyone who allows himself/herself to get excited because Calipari has a whole team of great players is setting himself/herself up for disappointment. Remember 2014-15. CCC can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory at any moment, with any team.

Reactions: KFuqua
I feel like people are jumping the gun a bit here.

I'm seeing comparisons to 2012.

I don't see this as 2012, 2015, 2010

I'm seeing this as more 2017,2019 or 2022.

They may very well prove to be more like that first list than second but I think it's a bit early to say that.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Jury is still out on this team. They are an entertaining team to watch
( some here say we shouldn't dare to be entertained though). It makes us too entitled.

How much will this team continue to grow?
How will they react when they get punched in the mouth
on the road in the SEC?
Can they dictate the pace of a game?

A very good team to be sure, do they have the "it" factor?
Watch the last 5 minutes v the the #9 Heels in Atlanta and then ask that last question to yourself.

I believe they were told to take their foot off the gas to help Payne save face while still achieving a sizable winning margin. We ran a lot less in the second half, something we did with ease the first half. Looked like Cal was working on half court stuff in the second half.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT