ADVERTISEMENT

Cal Has Absolutely Ruined This Team

Defense. It’s all about defense and intensity. Everyone here wants to play fast and shoot a million 3’s. In order for that to happen we must force transition. Steals, turnovers, missed shots forced your defense will put the offense in the sweet spot. This team gets super lazy on defense. They can’t get in the passing lanes. They aren’t as intense and prideful as they need to be.

This team has to procreate its own success from the defensive side because if you don’t then you will gets zoned. You will get drug into the mud by teams like Penn. When our opponents wanna run we look amazing. When they don’t, then our kids look confused. A lot of that is coaching, true. But these guys have to up the intensity.

Don’t forget this one thing too. We shot 50% from the floor. Try to enjoy your weekend
Exactly this. It's not about the threes. The defensive intensity and/or focus has been the culprit of most of our problems and nearly every one of our main guys has been guilty of it, even Reed sometimes. Always a few plays a game where I'm like yo pay attention! They get caught chilling or gambling unnecessarily too often.

It’s only been 3 halves and maybe premature to call it but I seriously doubt it. This doesn’t even resemble the same team we saw the first 7 games.

It’s in no way Bradshaws fault, he’s been good, but it’s the way everything has changed since he’s been back. The long 2’s have returned, the 3’s have dropped back to normal Cal levels, Mitchell has been far less effective since he’s had to move inside and the team plays slower.

Every single bit of that is on Calipari. Don’t even get me started on defense. We absolutely have guys who could be great defenders with their length and quickness but aren’t. That’s all on coaching. He either doesn’t teach it or is bad at it.

He’s the only “coach” in the country who could take a legit title contender and turn them into a team that is primed for a round of 32/S16 upset.

At this point I’d rather lose in the tournament with no center and getting out rebounded or taking 30 threes and having an off shooting night than to keep doing this same crap we’ve done for a decade that doesn’t work! I absolutely can’t stand CCC. The greatest day in UK basketball history will be the day he’s fired or quits.
I mean we look pretty good I’m cautiously optimistic. UNC game is gonna tell a whole lot. Remember when monk torched them and we knew that team was good. Is anyone on this team capable of dominating like that idk

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Just got in a reading the threads makes me think I shouldn't waste my time watching the replay.

Where we
This was a little premature. Yes we looked bad for most of the second half but Bradshaw

Defense. It’s all about defense and intensity. Everyone here wants to play fast and shoot a million 3’s. In order for that to happen we must force transition. Steals, turnovers, missed shots forced your defense will put the offense in the sweet spot. This team gets super lazy on defense. They can’t get in the passing lanes. They aren’t as intense and prideful as they need to be.

This team has to procreate its own success from the defensive side because if you don’t then you will gets zoned. You will get drug into the mud by teams like Penn. When our opponents wanna run we look amazing. When they don’t, then our kids look confused. A lot of that is coaching, true. But these guys have to up the intensity.

Don’t forget this one thing too. We shot 50% from the floor. Try to enjoy your weekend
Nice post our defense is horrible and if it don't get fixed we are no r going far you have to h a ve effort and intensity you talk about in your post nice post

Just got in a reading the threads makes me think I shouldn't waste my time watching the replay.
Yea game was really never in question and we led by as much as 16 in first half (I think it was 16)..

Honestly, the production quality was shit and
game audio was drowned out by announcers which contributed to a shitty viewer experience.

I think Cal has the minutes mostly right.

We are taking much less threes over the last 2 games than in all the previous games. That’s a little concerning.

Reactions: LmdCat
Edwards is almost unplayable at this point. 15 minutes a game guy IMO.
It seems Cal isn't gonna budge on this kid.. us fans can always spot the teams weaknesses and will say stuff that Cal don't wanna hear. Edwards isn't even better than dilly at this point. Maybe Cal figures it out but most if us fans know what the story is already. We will be done by second weekend in March.

This actually reminds me of how we played in the Bahamas vs when the season started last year. In the Bahamas we played fast, ball movement with a lot of shooting. Oscar wasn’t as effective with huge numbered but the team played and looked much better. Cal didn’t coach those games, clearly. Then the season started and Cal put the shackles back on and they didn’t look anything close to the same.

Games 1-7 was this years Bahamas. Games 8, 9 and so on will be this years regular season.

The most frustrating part is this team can still play like they did pre Bradshaw even with Bradshaw playing. Start the same 5 as usual and Bradshaw subs for Mitchell and plays the same role. He has the outside shooting to do it. He’s shown that. Neither him or Mitchell are back to basket players. But Cal just has to play them both, sometimes with Edwards and Thiero as well and it kills us.

This team doesn’t have the defense, again on CCC, to play in the 70’s like his other teams. They have to score in the high 80’s-90’s to win.
If you knew more about basketball than John Calipari, I would have heard of you. You’re a nobody with a keyboard, nothing more

I mean we look pretty good I’m cautiously optimistic. UNC game is gonna tell a whole lot. Remember when monk torched them and we knew that team was good. Is anyone on this team capable of dominating like that idk
We will have a few games that Wagner dominates, IMO. This feels like one of them

It seems Cal isn't gonna budge on this kid.. us fans can always spot the teams weaknesses and will say stuff that Cal don't wanna hear. Edwards isn't even better than dilly at this point. Maybe Cal figures it out but most if us fans know what the story is already. We will be done by second weekend in March.
Edwards only played 15 minutes today. Seems like Calipari is “budging” on that to me.

Our 3 point D is terrible seems like every team we play they hit 3 s like crazy.

I'm telling you, this is going to be a problem whether Cal is our coach or not. Unless we get some Tont Bennett type coach, but then our offense will be shit.

It's not like on several of these 3s, we didn't have a hand in their face.

Reactions: chevyman 50
Gotta face the facts. We have fans that literally enjoy when things go bad (nothing went bad btw). They prefer to live in the muck and complain. These are the fans that disappear like cock roaches when their favorite team wins and plays well. I used to think it was trolls from rival fanbases. But no, they are ours.

If you knew more about basketball than John Calipari, I would have heard of you. You’re a nobody with a keyboard, nothing more
well by that logic why are you commenting? you dont know as much as a head coach to even know when something works or is wrong so might as well pack up this whole fan thing and become a cult. I feel bad for Tubby and BCG, we all should have just drank poisoned kool aid than dare question them and let them leave. all hail the head coach , lord and savior .. the one human who does no wrong..

• Haha
Reactions: chattanoogawildcat
Our 3 point D is terrible seems like every team we play they hit 3 s like crazy.
I have been a huge Wildcat fan since the age of 6 and this isn't something new. Every game from ages 6 to 45, every team Kentucky has played against it's like these player's turn into Jordan or Bird. Pennsylvania hit some of the worst shots ever only to see them rattle in.

I noticed that in the highlights earlier.

Reactions: chevyman 50
Gotta face the facts. We have fans that literally enjoy when things go bad (nothing went bad btw). They prefer to live in the muck and complain. These are the fans that disappear like cock roaches when their favorite team wins and plays well. I used to think it was trolls from rival fanbases. But no, they are ours.
you are complaining about other people... never seen you talk up other posters in a positive way. i guess some posters like you live for the controversy and banter like you accuse others of doing

Reactions: UKortho
Those aren't Kentucky fans, their trolls or just miserable human beings with narcissistic tendencies. I get upset and rant sometimes, but I get frustrated when I see our guys sluggish or no energy. These so called fans complain no matter what.

My biggest pet peeve so far is those long ass 2's they continue throwing up. I remember when Pitino would bench his player's for taking those stupid shots that lead to easy baskets for opposing teams.

Calipari doesn't do that and that irks me so bad. Sorry this was long lol.

Those aren't Kentucky fans, their trolls or just miserable human beings with narcissistic tendencies. I get upset and rant sometimes, but I get frustrated when I see our guys sluggish or no energy. These so called fans complain no matter what.

My biggest pet peeve so far is those long ass 2's they continue throwing up. I remember when Pitino would bench his player's for taking those stupid shots that lead to easy baskets for opposing teams.

Calipari doesn't do that and that irks me so bad. Sorry this was long lol.
I yell at the tv every time we shoot one. I hate that shot.

Calipari could go undefeated and some would complain that he should have gone undefeated in 2015 as well.

Kentucky could win 9 out of 10 scoring 150 a game, but if the only won the 10th game by 149, some fans would post that the season is over.
Hell yeah, if you’re averaging 150 a game, at some point you need to stop playing with your food and blow them out. Why wouldn’t we complain, 150 is church league. ld rather open the game up and lead some. This is UK.

• Haha
Reactions: michaeluk26
Fans are good for knee-jerk reactions. Many on here would bench Edwards, but our coaching staff understands his ability and the team will be better by getting him to his potential.
Imagine recruiting an elite HS player then throwing that player into the grinder that is Kentucky and the BBN. Some don’t make it through this and we’ve had a few recently.

Reactions: Seakat311
it used to upset me to see these negative fans , now i just laugh at them

The tempo today is about the same as the average so far this year. The long two’s were back from hibernation

Watching the game right now, so far we're not making the extra pass like we did early in the year, and our shot selection is terrible, 5 minutes in

Exactly this. It's not about the threes. The defensive intensity and/or focus has been the culprit of most of our problems and nearly every one of our main guys has been guilty of it, even Reed sometimes. Always a few plays a game where I'm like yo pay attention! They get caught chilling or gambling unnecessarily too often.
Definitely agree here.

This thread confirms that not all Kentucky fans are basketball knowlegeable.

Edwards only played 14 minutes.
We outrebounded the other team by 19.
Bradshaw had double / double 3 blocks and a steal Practiced a whole week + 1 day with the team.
Scored 81 points.

And to the Karens, how many open 3's did we get today that was passed up?

And Penn is really good at what they do.

We need a thread, just for the Karens only. Maybe let them out once in awhile for good behaviour. Criticism ok. But you really need to know WTF you're talking about. Whining about made up stupid things is deserving of some therapy. The whining is almost unbearable, if not for it being so laughable. Idiocity can be sad but extremely funny.

And Penn is really good at what they do.

Which is what exactly? Being short and slow? They are 6-5… they aren’t “really good” at anything.

Look, a win is a win. We covered, that’s nice. But blowing a 16-point lead in just a few minutes is concerning. And though we’re only 9 games in, it’s been a recurring theme not only this season, but going back several years. You can excuse it away as a byproduct of a young team, but the problem with that rationalization is that we are always young. At some point these kids need to learn to keep their foot on the gas, like they did against Miami. Can’t let a team hang around and get confident. It didn’t hurt us today because Penn is very average.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
Has that new assistant coach left? It sure looks like it. That smooth offense he supposedly installed has left. Playing Bradshaw and Mitchell at the same time has messed it up.
He didn’t install a new offense. Just biding time until Cats got a big in the line-up. The temp offense is gone and Cal’s post up the big man was and still is the only offense c

Which is what exactly? Being short and slow? They are 6-5… they aren’t “really good” at anything.

Look, a win is a win. We covered, that’s nice. But blowing a 16-point lead in just a few minutes is concerning. And though we’re only 9 games in, it’s been a recurring theme not only this season, but going back several years. You can excuse it away as a byproduct of a young team, but the problem with that rationalization is that we are always young. At some point these kids need to learn to keep their foot on the gas, like they did against Miami. Can’t let a team hang around and get confident. It didn’t hurt us today because Penn is very average.
It would be more concerning if they didn't respond. Height is good but a well coached team, which Penn is, is dangerous. Ask Vilanova. Past years they couldn't respond very well. We had 2 guys that had off games and we still scored 81.

Lighten up Francis. As I stated some fans aren't so knowlegeable. When you complain about a game, we won, beating the spread and scored 81 points, incorprating a player thats had a week + 1 day of practice, well you kind of fit the bill.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT