ADVERTISEMENT

Cal doesn't get Reed enough shots during crunch time

catben

All-American
Sep 13, 2003
I realize he has been a liability on defense, but he has played the ENTIRE 45 minutes and had to run down Headband dude.

But allowing Dillingham to JACK UP shot after shot then let him shoot the FT's up 2 was BEYOND ridiculous!!!

Then you throw in letting Mitchell keep shooting when he couldn't BUY one, and you have why this team can't win when they REALLY need to!!!

I hate to say this but Robert Montgomery Knight was a master at getting good shots for his best players. Unfortunately Calipari never had that skill.
There I said it. I'm going to scrub with a brillo pad.

• Sad
Reactions: catben
While I agree that Reeves, then Sheppard would be the first 2 choices, to shoot FTs. Dillingham is an acceptable 3rd choice. At that moment those 3 were making 87.7% (Reeves), 81.8% Reed, 77.4% Rob. So not that different, and certainly not "beyond ridiculous". It's quite obvious that Cal trusts Reed the most to get the ball in-bounds which is most important.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
While I agree that Reeves, then Sheppard would be the first 2 choices, to shoot FTs. Dillingham is an acceptable 3rd choice. At that moment those 3 were making 87.7% (Reeves), 81.8% Reed, 77.4% Rob. So not that different, and certainly not "beyond ridiculous". It's quite obvious that Cal trusts Reed the most to get the ball in-bounds which is most important.
Mitchell should be inbounding. Reeves and Sheppard are options 1 and 2.

I hate to say this but Robert Montgomery Knight was a master at getting good shots for his best players. Unfortunately Calipari never had that skill.
There I said it. I'm going to scrub with a brillo pad.
You’re 100% correct. Cal won’t run any offense that’s is not ran in the nba. Remember his goal is players first.

I realize he has been a liability on defense, but he has played the ENTIRE 45 minutes and had to run down Headband dude.

But allowing Dillingham to JACK UP shot after shot then let him shoot the FT's up 2 was BEYOND ridiculous!!!

Then you throw in letting Mitchell keep shooting when he couldn't BUY one, and you have why this team can't win when they REALLY need to!!!
I thought he had plenty of opportunity

Reed should have been given a break at some point. Dillingham can run the point for a couple minutes. Even Reeves who has done it in a pinch.

It was silly for him to play the whole game.

Agree plus I thought Reeves didn't get enough looks in 2nd half and Mitchell kept taking 3's when it wasn't working for him

To argue running more shots for Reed while we score rhe ball fine all game long and Reed has the freaking ball in his hands….he was getting ball screen after ball screen erf

This game was one thing….this team isn’t getting stops and part of that is talent but a lot is dudes don’t want to play tight defense….snd we refuse to mix in zone

That is about all needing to be talked about

I love this last line. Hindsight is 20/20. What if Dilly is inbounding and makes a costly turnover or 5 second violation? "Why did we have Dilly inbound?!"

The inbound STARTS with the guy inbounding and he needs to be very cognizant of what's happening in front of him. I don't think it was some awful idea to have Reed inbound.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT