ADVERTISEMENT

Cal Created this Culture of Mediocrity

UKMKG

Sophomore
Gold Member
Apr 8, 2012
Not only is he a terrible in game and X/O coach, but he created a culture in which the players do not value being at KENTUCKY.

He made UK a stepping stone to the NBA and pushed players out to the point that now they feel like failures if they stay for more than a year (even Antonio tried to leave this summer).

This revolving door does not allow players to grow as a team or as individual players not to mention that outside of Reed and maybe Adou NONE of these guys care about the name on the front of the jersey…

And that’s because Cal doesn’t care about Kentucky. Forget that yankee prick.

With NIL you aren't gonna sign many players doing it for any other reason than money. It is what it is.

UK should be able to pony up NIL and retain more of its roster over multiple seasons with the next coach though. That's the key to post season success.

Cal reminds me so much of Jim Boeheim actually. It got to the point where Cuse would miss the tourney and go to NIT and he was calling it a really good season and getting defensive with anyone suggesting otherwise. That’s what happens when you allow mediocrity to creep in.

Cal has so lowered the standards at UK that’s it’s embarrassing.

Reactions: UKMKG and Fox2monk
With NIL you aren't gonna sign many players doing it for any other reason than money. It is what it is.

UK should be able to pony up NIL and retain more of its roster over multiple seasons with the next coach though. That's the key to post season success.
There needs to be a cap on the nil, so that it returns to being more about what team you want to play for, and not just about who throws you the biggest numbers.

I have been a UK fan since 1949. I never thought I would ever hear the words 'mediocrity' and 'UK Basketball' in the same sentence.
Since 1962 me so as a youngster of 70 I totally get what you do Hjack. Not many of us Rupp people wasting our time trying to comprehending those on here that only know this program with Calapari as coach.

Reactions: Hjack
Not only is he a terrible in game and X/O coach, but he created a culture in which the players do not value being at KENTUCKY.

He made UK a stepping stone to the NBA and pushed players out to the point that now they feel like failures if they stay for more than a year (even Antonio tried to leave this summer).

This revolving door does not allow players to grow as a team or as individual players not to mention that outside of Reed and maybe Adou NONE of these guys care about the name on the front of the jersey…

And that’s because Cal doesn’t care about Kentucky. Forget that yankee prick.
Sadly ... you're right. You just gave me an idea for the "name" of the newest Lexington bar. "The Yankee Prick" (TYP) ... dedicated to a coach who deserves it.

Last edited:
Reactions: UKMKG
Cal reminds me so much of Jim Boeheim actually. It got to the point where Cuse would miss the tourney and go to NIT and he was calling it a really good season and getting defensive with anyone suggesting otherwise. That’s what happens when you allow mediocrity to creep in.

Cal has so lowered the standards at UK that’s it’s embarrassing.
Great analogy

We have had a lot of mediocre seasons since that time. Surprised you act like this is new.
You act like UK basketball is closer to mediocre than top of the pact. You are in the minority of fans if you think that we have been routinely associated with the term mediocre. Maybe a few years of disappointment, but you'll have a hard time finding many fans or even non-fans that would use that term when talking about UK basketball, other than with Calipari.

Last edited:
This is the worst stretch of my lifetime, and I’ve been a fan for over 40 years. You going to tell me that it isn’t?

Absolutely. This is as bad as it's been. Even when we went through the NCAA sanctions it picked back up quickly with Pitino.

Cal has used top recruits to hold the university and fan base hostage. “If Cal leaves we are gonna lose player X and player Y” . Who cares, he doesn’t use them correctly anyway.

Absolutely. This is as bad as it's been. Even when we went through the NCAA sanctions it picked back up quickly with Pitino.
Pitino’s first team was 14 and 14 but every player left it all on the floor. Were projected by some in preseason to not win a single game that year. With CCC that projection may have been attainable. What a coach we have! Enjoy Cowaperry as 1 day he will be gone and draft night will never again be the greatest moment in program history. You have been warned

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT