ADVERTISEMENT

Cal comments about new offense…

If only Kentucky had the aircraft carrier of Kofi Cockburn in the paint occupying the ball on every possession...This new offense would work even better then...
Dude really … you’re one of them that was telling me Kofi was our answer to “who is our star?” when I was asking the question and we didn’t know Kofi wasn’t coming here. You really acted like you wanted the guy here.

I think we are going to be fine without Kofi, we do need a big that can score to attract the defense, so we can kick out for open shots. Kofi might have been a black hole once he got the ball.

Dude really … you’re one of them that was telling me Kofi was our answer to “who is our star?” when I was asking the question and we didn’t know Kofi wasn’t coming here. You really acted like you wanted the guy here.
When some knowledgeable people were predicting Cal was going to take Kofi I figured he decided it was worth scrapping his offensive plans. I’m one of those who despite having at least some background in college basketball understand I’m not as smart on basketball as a Hall of Fame national championship coach. If Cal wanted Cockburn then I figured Antigua or someone persuaded him it made sense.

When it became clear Cal wasn’t signing Kofi I understood why, and was glad he stuck to his planned offensive changes. That’s not the same as continuing to complain that Kentucky “missed” on Cockburn and bitch about it to this day as some do.

When some knowledgeable people were predicting Cal was going to take Kofi I figured he decided it was worth scrapping his offensive plans. I’m one of those who despite having at least some background in college basketball understand I’m not as smart on basketball as a Hall of Fame national championship coach. If Cal wanted Cockburn then I figured Antigua or someone persuaded him it made sense.

When it became clear Cal wasn’t signing Kofi I understood why, and was glad he stuck to his planned offensive changes. That’s not the same as continuing to complain that Kentucky “missed” on Cockburn and bitch about it to this day as some do.
So basically you just move the goal posts to defend Calipari at all costs, regardless of the decision?

If Cockburn was UK bound, you'd be hailing him as our All-American in the waiting. If not, then he'd bog down the offense anyway.

I think a four guard lineup would be fun to watch. Play Wheeler, Washington, Mintz, and Grady around Tshiebwe. Work Fredrick and Allen in there as well. Tshiebwe would have a lot of room to work in that scenario.

Reactions: ukfan041
Every time an opponents scores inside someone is going to make the "If we only had Kofi" post and I hope they all get instantly banned.
That would make no sense he can contest shots but he’s not Anthony Davis, not much difference in him and Oscar and Collins is a much better shot blocker

You realize you just admitted there’s no reason in anyone taking your positions seriously now, right? You just admitted to blind loyalty without regard for truth.

It’s fine if you want to be that kind of fan, but they typically don’t argue. You can’t both debate and have blind loyalty. It doesn’t work. But you seem to try it anyway.

I’m just sayin, not a good look for someone who always debates issues of the program.

I caught the tail end of Cal on KSR today, and while I LOVE the idea of a 4 out, 1 in offense and have been calling for it for several seasons now, two things Cal said made me cringe:

#1. He reiterated that he is not interested in calling set plays at all, and

#2. He said some of the terminology they use in practice will help guys when they get to the next level

He still doesn’t get that after 9-16, UK fans DGAF about the next level. Get back to the final four. Win a damn title. Then you can talk about the NBA all you want. And yes I know some of his talk is designed to appeal to recruits, and that’s fine. But point still stands. And on the not calling plays... I just have very little faith in Cal to get us a good look late in a tight game. For him to still be downplaying the importance of set plays (AKA having a f’n plan) after the Wisconsin debacle is just really disappointing to me.

If only Kentucky had the aircraft carrier of Kofi Cockburn in the paint occupying the ball on every possession...This new offense would work even better then...
I like this in theory, but the game has changed. No longer need to have a Shaquille O'Neil type player in the middle anymore. Kids are just bombing away and running.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
You realize you just admitted there’s no reason in anyone taking your positions seriously now, right? You just admitted to blind loyalty without regard for truth.

It’s fine if you want to be that kind of fan, but they typically don’t argue. You can’t both debate and have blind loyalty. It doesn’t work. But you seem to try it anyway.

I’m just sayin, not a good look for someone who always debates issues of the program.
It's hard to take someone's arguments seriously when you know they will change their opinions depending on which direction the wind is blowing when Cal farts.

It *seems* like he’s made every effort to address his biggest shortcomings. He fixed the staff. He added veterans. He prioritized shooting. He’s talking 4-out offense.

So far he’s backing up the talk. The philosophy change is the hardest one. But if that’s what they’re practicing and that’s who is on the roster, he almost can’t revert during games if things get tight.

doesn’t mean we won’t hear his sarcasm if the “new” offense looks ugly or we lose, but at some point you’re stuck with what your roster can do and what you’ve practiced. So here’s hoping.

I think that fans who complained about Calipari’s offense, should have really been complaining about his roster construction – although I think many of them didn’t recognize that.

Calipari has used offensive schemes (e.g., 3-out-2-in motion sets) that fit the personnel he has had – which has been a heavy (overly so?) reliance on freshmen. If you’re going to try to score a substantial portion of your points from the perimeter, then you better have a gaggle of perimeter shooters. For the most part, Calipari hasn’t had that despite bringing in some of the best 5-star high school shooters in the class (which, of course, is not the same as the best high school shooters in the class). As a relative general proposition: Freshmen can’t shoot (look up the college stats). Now, however, it appears UK has multiple upperclassmen who can shoot it efficiently and still play the game at the high Div. I level. Accordingly, 4-out-1-in motion sets will now have a much greater likelihood of success than in the past.

But, like you said, I'm not foolish enough to think I can see things that a professional (Hall of Fame, at that) coach can't; and the best offense is much more about a scheme matched to the skills of the personnel than a particular style of play. It's been proven time-and-time again that there are a number of ways to skin a cat.

Reactions: fatguy87
I think that fans who complained about Calipari’s offense, should have really been complaining about his roster construction – although I think many of them didn’t recognize that.

Calipari has used offensive schemes (e.g., 3-out-2-in motion sets) that fit the personnel he has had – which has been a heavy (overly so?) reliance on freshmen. If you’re going to try to score a substantial portion of your points from the perimeter, then you better have a gaggle of perimeter shooters. For the most part, Calipari hasn’t had that despite bringing in some of the best 5-star high school shooters in the class (which, of course, is not the same as the best high school shooters in the class). As a relative general proposition: Freshmen can’t shoot (look up the college stats). Now, however, it appears UK has multiple upperclassmen who can shoot it efficiently and still play the game at the high Div. I level. Accordingly, 4-out-1-in motion sets will now have a much greater likelihood of success than in the past.

But, like you said, I'm not foolish enough to think I can see things that a professional (Hall of Fame, at that) coach can't; and the best offense is much more about a scheme matched to the skills of the personnel than a particular style of play. It's been proven time-and-time again that there are a number of ways to skin a cat.

To be honest with you, you can probably see A LOT of things a “HOF coach” can’t. He’s not a robot with the best X’a and O’s software installed.

It’s no different than Anything else in life. Wouldn’t you argue with a teacher if you knew she was wrong about your son? How about a political figure that makes a terrible decision? I don’t think we usually say - well it’s the president he knows more than me!

I’m just saying Cal chose a career path years ago and it’s paid off for him. That’s great, but it doesn’t mean he’s got the idea down pat every time with no way to be wrong. He’s wrong a lot, and I’m sure he’d be the first to tell you that.

Being a HOF coach isn’t about knowing everything. It’s just like anything else, failures but longevity.

It *seems* like he’s made every effort to address his biggest shortcomings. He fixed the staff. He added veterans. He prioritized shooting. He’s talking 4-out offense.

So far he’s backing up the talk. The philosophy change is the hardest one. But if that’s what they’re practicing and that’s who is on the roster, he almost can’t revert during games if things get tight.

doesn’t mean we won’t hear his sarcasm if the “new” offense looks ugly or we lose, but at some point you’re stuck with what your roster can do and what you’ve practiced. So here’s hoping.

Oh he’ll definitely let “us” know every time we lose a game and on rebounding and missed shots. But I agree at this point it looks like he’s recruiting differently and definitely talking differently, which for Cal is a lot. He might be a bullshitter to a degree but he doesn’t go as far as “we’re gonna run more” while walking the pike for 10 years.

To be honest with you, you can probably see A LOT of things a “HOF coach” can’t. He’s not a robot with the best X’a and O’s software installed.

It’s no different than Anything else in life. Wouldn’t you argue with a teacher if you knew she was wrong about your son? How about a political figure that makes a terrible decision? I don’t think we usually say - well it’s the president he knows more than me!

I’m just saying Cal chose a career path years ago and it’s paid off for him. That’s great, but it doesn’t mean he’s got the idea down pat every time with no way to be wrong. He’s wrong a lot, and I’m sure he’d be the first to tell you that.

Being a HOF coach isn’t about knowing everything. It’s just like anything else, failures but longevity.
The thing is, those with at best a middling understanding of something are always the ones most sure they have everything figured out – whether it’s the education of their children or politics. It’s the same with games, whether basketball, chess, poker, etc. For example, poker is an easy game on its face. Everybody who played it when they were a kid or gets into playing it a little, quickly thinks they have it figured out, and it’s everybody else who is playing “wrong.” But the game dynamics are much more nuanced and dependent than they understand. Basically, they don’t know what they don’t know, so they assume they know everything.

Not me. I’m just a fan. It doesn’t matter if I might have watched the game all my life, or that I might have played almost since I could walk, or that I might have coached, or that I might have even been foolish enough to referee once or twice. That does not mean I understand the game on even a fraction of the level of a professional coach (Hall of Famer or not). Add to that the fact that said coach is the one seeing his players play every day, and it should quickly become apparent how delusional and naive it would be for me to be convinced that I know how to fix the issues with the team, when in fact I probably don't even truly understand what the issues really are.

Kofi might have been a black hole once he got the ball.

B7T1.gif

But, will we run the weave for 10 seconds before we run a set every time down the floor if it isn’t a fast break?
Because that is what it does and is called. Sorry if it offended you. How about transparent hole, I’m sure you can relate.

• Haha
Reactions: Random UK Fan
Kofi would have been a tremendous asset at the 5 in a 4 out 1 in system. You need not delve deep or theorize on the matter. We have evidence from last season. Kofi was dominant, leading the nation in dunks, starting alongside 4 guards.

The offense is changing, or Kofi would have been here last year. If we are playing 4 out 1 in, adding Kofi to the roster makes any bigs minutes minimal at best. We have a lot of bigs, and that would be hard to spread out minutes. A typical Cal offense requires 2 bigs at all times, and sometimes he crammed 3 of em in there.

Some of you folks complaining about Calipari offense obviously weren’t around for Joe B Hall, Eddie Sutton or Tubby Smith. And of course Billy Gillispie. All of those snail pace offenses were an embarrassing sight to behold.

There’s definitely room for improvement with the Calipari system. It is way better than what it’s been under other coaches. Hell Tubby didn’t even believe in the alley oop or lob passes. No let’s pull it out and run some back line screens and throw up a guarded 4 foot prayer as the shot clock is running down.

I believe Calipari is capable of not being stubborn like some of his predecessors were. We need to run and gun, this is the home of fast break basketball not all these bulky power forwards taking up space in the lane. Here’s hoping

• Haha
Reactions: Ky grandpa
This time of year all coaches talk in coachspeak. Really all year these days. Bobby Knight was the last coach that would just come out and say "This is how we do things, if you don't like go cheer for someone else."

Cal has changed styles, even mid-season, when circumstances and players dictated it. Last year, he didn't have the guts to do it. Thats on him too.

The guy doesn't like to lose any more than we like seeing it. And all this "whats better for getting them ready for the NBA" stuff ...... thats not for us. Thats for recruiting. Players First is a marketing plan. And other schools started copying that approach. Hence our dip in recruiting.

I'm glad he "refreshed" his staff, it was needed. And our guys in the NBA are the best recruiting tool we have. And for folks that don't want Top 100 recruits every year .............. Indiana says HELLO!

Reactions: jace2012
Same old song and dance, just like Tubby was going to run fast paste every year. Believe it when I see it.
I'm with you. Cal is a used car salesman. If we play a more modern offense, fantastic. If not, kinda what I figured. I suspect it will be a little bit of both. We will start the year off playing 4 out, 1 in and later in the year closer to March, Cal's butthole will again tighten and we'll have 3 bigs on the floor at all times because that's what he's comfortable with.

Reactions: bigbluedon
The offense is changing, or Kofi would have been here last year. If we are playing 4 out 1 in, adding Kofi to the roster makes any bigs minutes minimal at best. We have a lot of bigs, and that would be hard to spread out minutes. A typical Cal offense requires 2 bigs at all times, and sometimes he crammed 3 of em in there.
Bingo.

I'm with you. Cal is a used car salesman. If we play a more modern offense, fantastic. If not, kinda what I figured. I suspect it will be a little bit of both. We will start the year off playing 4 out, 1 in and later in the year closer to March, Cal's butthole will again tighten and we'll have 3 bigs on the floor at all times because that's what he's comfortable with.
Nailed it right here. Snake oil salesman he is. I like to say when SEC play starts Cal tightens up like a bull’s ass in fly season. I won’t believe anything he says until I see it. And as for not running any set plays, he is just a moron.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT