ADVERTISEMENT

Cal comments about new offense…

December 7th and we're back to 90's ball. Not one guy on the tram has a post move but we have 2 bigs in the paint running the offense through the low post.
I’m so tired of watching cram it inside basketball w 1 shooter on the floor at a time.

If he wants to play over sized lineups then he should just go all in and get a couple big body guys for the inside and then let the Skals and Collins if the world play the 2 and 3 with 1 6’5 PG. and the play a long zone on D

Cal is a Size Queen. He might as well go all in on it

I’m so tired of watching cram it inside basketball w 1 shooter on the floor at a time.

If he wants to play over sized lineups then he should just go all in and get a couple big body guys for the inside and then let the Skals and Collins if the world play the 2 and 3 with 1 6’5 PG. and the play a long zone on D

Cal is a Size Queen. He might as well go all in on it
The Shit was hard to watch tonite

Love Cal but I ignore any of this stuff this time of year.Its always same thing...a tweak..camp Cal...new offense...new year same ol stuff.

Reactions: MakinMusic
Cal unfortunately is the only person who doesn’t know Hopkins is his next best low post option other than Oscar

Frankly the rest are incapable of a post up game
Another maddening thing about our beloved John Calipari .. a few can know it , the staff can know it , the state can know it , BBN can know it , the media can suggest it , etc etc BUT if making a move that everyone on earth knows is best BUT it places Cal in a spot where he can accused of making a mistake/bad choice .. he simply wont do it . His ego wont allow it .
And a roster where Oscar is our best low post option? Damn , just damn. Dude is the best rebounder in college ball but he's no Kevin McHale .

Well, I'll admit, I was wrong. I predicted he would scrap the "4 out/ 1 in offense by halftime of the duke game. He lasted longer than I thought he would. Good job Cal.

Listened to the postgame show last night, Jones was surprisingly critical of Cal last night. I just don’t believe that Cal is gonna suddenly put a team full of guards on the court vs ND. You can see how bad he wants to play Collins at the 4. I think Jones have a stat last night that UK shoots the 3rd fewest threes per possession of any power 5 team, so in other words nothing has changed.

Listened to the postgame show last night, Jones was surprisingly critical of Cal last night. I just don’t believe that Cal is gonna suddenly put a team full of guards on the court vs ND. You can see how bad he wants to play Collins at the 4. I think Jones have a stat last night that UK shoots the 3rd fewest threes per possession of any power 5 team, so in other words nothing has changed.
Unlike last year, there is enough talent on this team to win important games. But who is taking the shots? Wheeler and Washington. A small point guard and a freshman. Nothing against either one of them. They are good players. but they are both ball hogs and they turn the basketball over. We aren't seeing enough offensive ball movement because of Wheeler's and Washington's styles.

Who are our best offensive players? Tshiebwe, Grady, and Mintz. If Washington learns to move the basketball around more, then I will include him on this list. Meantime, if we want to beat the SEC's best teams, Grady ought to be taking twice as many shots as he is currently taking. And Cal has to teach Tshiebwe to avoid these ticky tack fouls the zebras keep tagging him with.

Problem is, Cal is married to Collins for 1 year. Collins is a project that most programs park on the bench until he is ready to play. But not Cal, not here. He has to play, because we only have him for a year.
Bringing guys like Collins in only makes sense if you want to pad your draft stats.
Too many of Cal's teams are thrown together and make no sense anyway, so it really doesn't matter I guess.

Problem is, Cal is married to Collins for 1 year. Collins is a project that most programs park on the bench until he is ready to play. But not Cal, not here. He has to play, because we only have him for a year.
Bringing guys like Collins in only makes sense if you want to pad your draft stats.
Too many of Cal's teams are thrown together and make no sense anyway, so it really doesn't matter I guess.
I agree, it is super clear that Collins is not ready for power 5 competition, but like many before him Cal feels like he has to play him and thus he is playing the 4 for us. I hope im wrong but the 4 spot will be our downfall this year with Brooks and Collins.

Reactions: blue woman
Cal unfortunately is the only person who doesn’t know Hopkins is his next best low post option other than Oscar
Actually, he said Hopkins could play the 5 at a post-game interview fairly recently.

Well, if we were going to play like this it's a shame we didn't get that "aircraft carrier" from up there in Champaign.

Frankly the rest are incapable of a post up game
Plus, Hopkins can handle the ball pretty well, at least enough to make a move or two with the ball in his hands.
No other big can do this.
Use Collins to spell Big O and Brooks/Toppin to spell Hopkins. Won't happen though.

December 7th and we're back to 90's ball. Not one guy on the team has a post move but we have 2 bigs in the paint running the offense through the low post.
If he's going to run this kind of offense, no reason to not go all in trying to get Kofi here. Ship has sailed, when Oscar fouls out ot barely plays because of foul truble, UK will go down.

Unlike last year, there is enough talent on this team to win important games. But who is taking the shots? Wheeler and Washington. A small point guard and a freshman. Nothing against either one of them. They are good players. but they are both ball hogs and they turn the basketball over. We aren't seeing enough offensive ball movement because of Wheeler's and Washington's styles.

Who are our best offensive players? Tshiebwe, Grady, and Mintz. If Washington learns to move the basketball around more, then I will include him on this list. Meantime, if we want to beat the SEC's best teams, Grady ought to be taking twice as many shots as he is currently taking. And Cal has to teach Tshiebwe to avoid these ticky tack fouls the zebras keep tagging him with.
Why does everyone keep talking how great Mintz is???
He made a couple of 3's, had an air ball, shot less than 50% free throws & missed several other open shots
He makes mistakes that a freshman makes & he is a 6 year man. He is constantly beat on defense, yet people decide to give Allen the no defense tag.
Grady is a good shooter, but can't create his own shot & apparently this coach has no idea how to set a pick for him to get an open shot. Brooks is horrible, Toppin has regressed, Collins gets pushed around, Ware couldn't score against the girls team & Wheeler is a turn over machine
That leaves Washington & Oscar as scoring options, but again no plays are run to get them shots.
Did you ever see UK even get close to a scoring play on an inbounds play? They were lucky to just get the ball inbounds.
If Sharpe can create his own shot & is a scoring threat he needs to play & play a lot

After watching this team so far, it seems we have 1 guy who can create his own shot (not counting Wheeler who is out of control a lot) and that is TyTy and we have 1 guy who you can sometimes throw the ball to in the post, Oscar- IMO with the way Cal runs, or fails to run a offense not sure where our half court offense will come from
Why does everyone keep talking how great Mintz is???
He made a couple of 3's, had an air ball, shot less than 50% free throws & missed several other open shots
He makes mistakes that a freshman makes & he is a 6 year man. He is constantly beat on defense, yet people decide to give Allen the no defense tag.
Grady is a good shooter, but can't create his own shot & apparently this coach has no idea how to set a pick for him to get an open shot. Brooks is horrible, Toppin has regressed, Collins gets pushed around, Ware couldn't score against the girls team & Wheeler is a turn over machine
That leaves Washington & Oscar as scoring options, but again no plays are run to get them shots.
Did you ever see UK even get close to a scoring play on an inbounds play? They were lucky to just get the ball inbounds.
If Sharpe can create his own shot & is a scoring threat he needs to play & play a lot
After watching this team so far, it seems we have 1 guy who can create his own shot (not counting Wheeler who is out of control a lot) and that is TyTy and we have 1 guy who you can sometimes throw the ball to in the post, Oscar- IMO with the way Cal runs, or fails to run a offense not sure where our half court offense will come from

In the beginning I wasn’t worried about losing CJ but after a few games I have to imagine this team would look much better with him playing at the 3.
Maybe Grady comes along but he isn’t what I thought he would be.

In the beginning I wasn’t worried about losing CJ but after a few games I have to imagine this team would look much better with him playing at the 3.
Maybe Grady comes along but he isn’t what I thought he would be.
In my mind the one thing that can make this team a contender is Sharpe . The kid has to play this year . Without him ,sweet 16 is our ceiling.

I think at some point we go small ball and put somebody like Hopkins at the four spot. He’s not ready to start yet, but that’s my long term hope. A unit of Oscar, Hopkins, Sharpe, TyTy, Wheeler … I mean, that would be fun to watch. I’m just not sure Cal could ever embrace small ball, even though the rest of the world has for a long time now.

Cal has no idea how to coach a team where he has to play to their strengths and hide their weaknesses. His offense is “go!” If that doesn’t work, he’s got nothing.

Reactions: blue woman and ck-2
26th ranking on offense - 82.6 Right there w/Duke and UCLA
43rd on defense - 60.9 Tenn and Vandy are right there with us.

Cal basically misled all of us if he's not willing to go with a pure 4 out offence, which he's clearly not.

I'm sick of him playing guys who can't dribble.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT