ADVERTISEMENT

Cal burned out

martinsm30

Nov 19, 2004
I think the guy is burned out. He began his D1 head coaching career in 1988. 36 years ago. How many can do a job at the highest level for nearly forty years? For the last 15 years he has been in the biggest boiling pot in college basketball.

He went from "I can't hide you" to "I’m not trying to take anybody’s heart away"

He basically said it himself during his 2018 Big Blue Madness speech:

"But let me say this: It may feel like yesterday, but one look at me and you can tell what it's done to me. You people have beat me up. For some reason, it hasn't affected Ellen. But I've aged in dog years!"

I think his Little House on the Prairie and sitting with his dogs statement was a joke but humor always has a seed of truth.

His diminishing results show he is toast. When he came here it was all about March performance and championships. We have our March results and there is no way to get around the numbers.

There are a few questions: Will he hang on for ego or the money? Will the school try to buy him out? Will the lower bowl at Rupp still be mostly full next year if he is still our coach? Guess we will get to see.

"To come here and have an opportunity to add to the wall. Can you imagine? They don't put up banners for anything else except... National championships. That's why you wanna coach... Here." Or whatever he said during his introductory press conference.

Calipari understood what it meant to coach here at one point. Whether he's forgotten, burned out, changed his M-O to fit the La Familia schtick, or whatever, I dunno. He understood it at one point, though.

From Stephen A. Smith - this is the only explanation that really makes any sense of what we've seen for the past few seasons:

“The point is, you are a great coach who knows how to win basketball games, and perhaps the problem is you’ve gotten soft because you’ve gotten so caught up in bringing these young kids and prioritizing being a father figure to these guys, that in the process of doing all those other things, you haven’t prioritize doing what it takes to win, the way you did when you were at Memphis.”

If he's burned out, it's because we won't support him in this. Because our #1 priority is still winning basketball games.

Reactions: RunninRichie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT