ADVERTISEMENT

Cal 2nd longest drought without SEC championship

Team looks good. But let's not act like a 5 game win streak cures all. No SEC regular season title, longest 1 seed drought ever, 3 straight losses at Rupp, loss to UNCW. Hang the banners or get out, Cal. We better deliver in March. Been too long.
Do you like basketball?

This team is looking really good, it's full of selfless guys who are really fun to watch, we just beat a potential 1 seed on the road and did it fairly easily, we're about to get to the best few weeks of the year, and yet you still concentrate on the negative?
He is the worse. He diappeared after the Ut game.

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
Since TN wrapped up the SEC regular season Championship KY is currently in the 2nd longest drought between SEC Reguar season Championships.
Cal is tied with the end of the Tubby beginning of BCG era.
The longest drought came during the probation years.

Regular season SEC champs began in the 1932-33 season.

Cal keeps setting milestones!
Didn't we win the SEC by three games in 2019-20? The longest drought is four seasons?

Reactions: $Z71$
OP isn't a UK fan that's obvious.
But in the post game presser Saturday. Cal said the only tournament he cares about is the NCAAT when asked a question about the SECT and UK's seeding.
Now maybe it's coach speak maybe it isn't. But it's a bad look to the fan base who save up plan vacations around the SECT.
If he doesn't care about it then he just needs to keep his mouth shut to the media.
He could have gave a simple answer like. Yes getting a bye to Friday is big for us. This tournament is loaded. We are going to do our best to win it but it's not going to be easy. Something like that and moved onto the next question. But he can't help himself he has to take a back handed shot at the fans
Couldn't agree more about keeping the mouth shut. A friend contacted me saying they had a room come available in Nashville and asked if I wanted it. Thought about these comments and said no. Not sure why anyone would want to fork over good money when the coach is on record claiming he doesn't care about this tourney.

I desperately want this team to make a final 4 and win a championship, but I'm going to have to shut down any post game media coverage because this coach will run his mouth and make it 'me against the world'. For someone who claims not to listen to the noise he sure seems to have a bad case of rabbit ears.

I’m cheering on this team and the players.
Our best player is homegrown and I really want to see him win.

I have zero faith in Cal and know he’s going to mess a great opportunity up.
The players. Every time I allocate my time to this site, with the expectation to talk UK hoops but rarely finding more than the incessant "Cal sucks" drumbeat, I keep coming back to the players. Calipari's recruits are the elites. Always have been. They are inundated with offers from all the big time programs. They can go anywhere, but they choose UK and John Calipari. They have one opportunity to go to the best program to realize their potential and be evaluated well by the NBA as high character guys with great skills and talents and great teammates and WINNERS, and they choose UK and John Calipari. Why is that?

The elite players and their families and advisors talk. If Cal was not giving them his best, the word would be out across the country and the pipeline of elite recruits would end. But it has not ended. Their experiences have been solid and rewarding and they have been treated fairly and the word to the next recruiting class and the one after that, etc., has been all positive; and the players keep trusting their goals and their futures to Cal.

It seems to me that the players, not the anonymous keyboard purveyors of the Calipari hate, are in the better position to judge the merits of being coached by John Calipari and whether he is worthy of their faith. And you know what? They keep coming.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: KFuqua
Totally agree with the things about Calipari. I was going to take my sons down to Nashville if we made the title game, still might, but this is why I won’t go for the weekend and it’s sickening because I’d like my kids to see winning basketball at some point. And it takes all of the fun out of it.

Reed Sheppard might not make a final four. We need to get a championship in some way out of his season. He wasted him for much of the year trying to get Edwards to learn to walk and Wagner to learn to make a layup. Reed could have been torching all year, he deferred for the team you can tell that now imo.

Which is fine, but work to win that conference tournament. Calipari just doesn’t seem to get that at Kentucky we WANT IT ALL. I don’t care if it’s coach speak and I shouldn’t have to wonder. This is why, even though I do love this team and many of our players under him, I am ready to move on. Calipari is too hard to take and that’s especially true if he’s not winning.
Are you Mike-McD?

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
There are facts more fun to talk about. UK waxed the SEC regular season champs is a fact, UK is trending in right direction is a fact. That's just me though
You're exactly right. I guess we all have our biases. I try to be positive but it's difficult sometimes.

Reactions: JC CATS
Could it be any more obvious? He can't say "Good morning" without a 3 paragraph cry session about Calipari. His Mike McD alias was put in timeout for a couple of days so he knows that one's on a short leash so he pivoted to this one. Clown act.
Where's your cardsstink alias?

Cal is really good at recruiting and recognizing players that can win in spite of him. He’s had players that won in spite of him more times than the 🐐 and Cal hasn’t been coaching as long either. Cal’s players destroyed the 🐐head to head in spite of him too. Cal’s players also won more final fours than the 🐐 in spite of him too.

IF ONLY that darn ole 🐐 had those players that won in spite of Cal, he would have won too.

Am I right @ukjenning44 ???

Cal hates the sec tournament and he despises holiday tournaments you know anything us fans love but it is what it is

Dude quit that crap. You don’t have to defend Calipari every single second, especially when he’s not producing to our standard. That’s your only damn job as a UK fan, to voice pleasure or pain at what is happening to the program. A fans job is to help maintain standards and avoid apathy. Calipari has not done his job lately at all, and nobody needs to coddle losing coaches at UK.

You can support Calipari still being at UK with logic, but don’t help undermine the program to cover for his shortcomings on the scoreboard.

He needs to win our conference titles. It adds to our program prestige and keeps us at the top. We can lose it, need to remember that.
Agree

Reactions: ukjenning44
Since TN wrapped up the SEC regular season Championship KY is currently in the 2nd longest drought between SEC Reguar season Championships.
Cal is tied with the end of the Tubby beginning of BCG era.
The longest drought came during the probation years.

Regular season SEC champs began in the 1932-33 season.

Cal keeps setting milestones!
First time in history KY has lost 3 straight SECT games.

As I said. Cal keeps setting milestones for our once great program.

Cal doesn't like tournaments because he mostly gets embarrassed in them.

Say what you want. I absolutely love this team and this season has been an absolute joy to watch. We've beaten some really really good teams. Some of them at their place.

I have no idea how this season end shapes up but 1) i'm here for it and 2) i'll be sad when it ends.
9 losses equates to "absolute joy to watch" status?

9 losses equates to "absolute joy to watch" status?

Lets be honest. We've had some moments here. We beat UT at their place. We beat Auburn at their place. We beat UNC. Alabama.

Obviously no one wants 9 losses. No one wants to watch this team play (or well try and play) defense either.

But we've basically hovered in the top 10 to top 20 range all season long. And this offense from time to time has looked outstanding to watch.

I've enjoyed this team play moreso than any other team post 15. And I think some others on here would also agree with that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT